I'm calling it- On January 12th, I think Page will announce a release date for a new live album.

16 hours ago, Mook said:

The late 60s & early 70s will never be matched again in music. The artists had freedom, fresh ideas, a fusion of genres & money/time from the record labels like never before or since. 

I hope the people who were around at the time appreciate what they had because they were very lucky in that regard.

Too right Mook. And not just the people then. Any younger people now would do well to heed their "rock" oriented parents (grandparents too) tastes and explore this richest of veins for themselves. This period is truly unmatched for quality and quantity of fantastic music. From main stream to everything else. It was so rich.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, Mook said:

The late 60s & early 70s will never be matched again in music. The artists had freedom, fresh ideas, a fusion of genres & money/time from the record labels like never before or since. 

I hope the people who were around at the time appreciate what they had because they were very lucky in that regard.

Good post. The confluence of boomers having more and more money in their pocket, technology improving rapidly to make record production cheaper, and lots of creatively fertile artists will never happen again. Added to which, cinema was in a slump in terms of numbers of bums on seats (compared to the glory days of the 40s / 50s) and there was no Netflix etc. Rock and roll had the field to itself, and that'll never happen again either.

On 1/25/2019 at 6:36 AM, anniemouse said:

I wonder if Zep never really thought too much about the legacy of their career until it was way too late to do anything about it

I think they were so disappointed with the TSRTS fiasco that they probably intentionally avoided any further official recordings. They actually went back on their word when making the movie (to never do media) and I'm sure the blowback from it only reinforced that belief.

Guy,  I don’t know...call me crazy...and I even had doubts, but I think we are in for a long great ride.  

Page promised us new great things over the next ten years....bet we get a killer live release in the end as the icing on the cake...and it may be our favorite “hope”...Japan 1971.    

Saving the best for last...it’s gonna happen!

• 2 weeks later...

Totallly agree with you ...all decent (rock) music came out of this period in fact I’d go as far as to say there hasn’t been anything of any real originality since around  ‘76 All modern rock music -IMO-is just a pale imitation of this golden age and if you did nothing but listen to Zep, Stones, Hendrix,Purple,Bowie (early )Queen & Thin Lizzy  you won’t have missed much if anything at all.

23 minutes ago, Paganini said:

Totallly agree with you ...all decent (rock) music came out of this period in fact I’d go as far as to say there hasn’t been anything of any real originality since around  ‘76 All modern rock music -IMO-is just a pale imitation of this golden age and if you did nothing but listen to Zep, Stones, Hendrix,Purple,Bowie (early )Queen & Thin Lizzy  you won’t have missed much if anything at all.

Yet Plant tells people to stop living in the past. Of course, if you're musically diverse you'd know that there's great music from all decades. There are songs from the nineties that dwarf about anything from the seventies. There is music from the twenties that overshadows anything ever. But yeah, "classic rock" is pretty well contained between 68-77. Anything outside of that era is something different.

11 hours ago, Paganini said:

I don’t agree with this. I’ve found plenty of music with just as much merit and originality in all the succeeding decades. 

On 1/26/2019 at 3:03 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

Guy,  I don’t know...call me crazy...and I even had doubts, but I think we are in for a long great ride.  

Page promised us new great things over the next ten years....bet we get a killer live release in the end as the icing on the cake...and it may be our favorite “hope”...Japan 1971.    

Just like that solo tour Page has been talking about for years.

Of course many music fans in general may think that if you look enough, you'll find great music in any time period. Partially

true, but for Rock'n'Roll, the 60's and  70's are the bomb. Many bands had record company heads and higher ups who actually

worshipped the bands themselves. And, for people who weren't around then, the stadiums and coliseums literally were

"The Houses of The Holy", just like Robert Plant said. Punks and New-Wavers may complain about the huge venues, but

IMO The Who, Zep, Yes, Queen and others fit perfectly into these huge showcases. Rock'n'Roll was a religion back then, not

really having competitors like the internet or video games now. Also many of the greats of the 60's and 70's released 3 or 4 

great albums in a row, almost unheard of now. Well you could say the "Golden period" of Rap was from the late 80's to the early

2000's roughly. And that genre just like Rock has passed the "torch" elsewhere, although now there are so many clone bands

and I'm not sure what's prime now, Auto-Tune ? Electronics taking over real instruments ?

3 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

and I'm not sure what's prime now, Auto-Tune ? Electronics taking over real instruments ?

I've been trying to figure that out for a while. I really think there is nothing now that isn't completely disposable. No one will remember the current talent pool (98% at least) in 5 years. I can't think of recent (10 years or less) stand outs in rock or pop that I consider will stand the test of time. I am hoping this is the long arc that is going around (full circle) and back to blues/blues-rock that will see a resurgence of not just that rich, rich vein of '70's rock, and inspire a new breed of rock bands that get back to live gigs as a starting point. Develop their own sound, get a reputation as a good live band, and THEN sign to a label and produce some good stuff.

Pub Rock - come back. WE NEED YOU!

I think one aspect is the segregation of the music fan. Also the lack of terrestrial tv exposure for bands in the UK is poor. Jools Holland is only on for what 10 weeks a year. No TOTP, Whistle Test or The Tube that ran for years showcasing talent in many cases live.  I think

Festivals being as much about business models as music (Glastonbury is nul in this point as it only pays a tenth of the going rate to bands as it is on terrestrial TV)

Lack of tv exposure.

Lack of DJ's who have the ability to love and understand music (be curators so to speak) rather than out for themselves.

Lack of fans being brave and listening to other genres.

Record companies being risk averse (I doubt Zep or The Beatles would be signed now)

Record companies losing distribution and being replaced by a new model.

Good bands are there. Goat and Pigs, Pigs, Pigs, Pigs. Pigs. Pigs. Pigs are interesting and Sleaford Mods are a new take on rap. IMHO.

I think the music industry is in trouble.

Rock music and music in general today is in my opinion, just background for our busy lives.  The world today in the 21st. century offers so many more diversions that music is now competing for attention from the masses.  I wonder if a Zeppelin type organization could even get started today given the attention spans of the media, the music distribution apparatus, the absence of creativity, and the intense concentration on watching the bottom line in any business today.

Whether 2019 produces a Zeppelin discovery or not, I'll continue to listen to and appreciate them.  I read their biographies, listen to the bootlegs available and marvel at what Zeppelin accomplished; knowing that it probably won't be repeated anytime soon. The music I listen to from Zeppelin I regard as “historical documents” that are now part of the history of music which constantly evolves, like it or not.

ADK-Zeppy

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:03 AM, Sticks of Fire said:

Dream on, but as for me I'm DONE. They were/are long overdue for a live release yet for whatever reason they couldn't pull it together to coincide with their 50th anniversary. Jimmy Page has long since lost all credibility regarding his solo intentions, and unfortunately as it is now Feb 2019 the same must be said for Led Zeppelin related projects. I have no reason left whatsoever - none - to believe they will deliver by 2028 what they failed to deliver in 2018. 

Looking forward to seeing The Who and The Rolling Stones, among many others, in 2019.

On 1/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, Autumn Moon said:

RP: It´s not the Bonzo´s Birthday party one, is it? When Keith Moon was playing with us?

Nice of Plant to remembers Bonzo's Birthday. Seeing as it was in May and the Keith Moon farce was in June?

Funny that, I was only talking to a couple of people only this morning about this very thing. The woman said her first ever gig was Free in 1970 (she has the ticket stub and programme) and the guy said his first show was Blodwyn Pig. At the same time he also saw Free supported by Osibisa !! Man what days they must have been. I thought I was doing OK with Budgie in 76. "Youngun" they called me.

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Dream on, but as for me I'm DONE. They were/are long overdue for a live release yet for whatever reason they couldn't pull it together to coincide with their 50th anniversary. Jimmy Page has long since lost all credibility regarding his solo intentions, and unfortunately as it is now Feb 2019 the same must be said for Led Zeppelin related projects. I have no reason left whatsoever - none - to believe they will deliver by 2028 what they failed to deliver in 2018. 

Looking forward to seeing The Who and The Rolling Stones, among many others, in 2019.

I get it.  You’re a great collector I know- but he said over the next ten years.  If they’ve got one great release (aka Japan 1971) I’m thinking he’s saving it for last.    

2 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I get it.  You’re a great collector I know- but he said over the next ten years.  If they’ve got one great release (aka Japan 1971) I’m thinking he’s saving it for last.    

The last what? Breath he takes? Dude is old.

On the bright side, it's important to remember that Page sat on those phenomenal 72 tapes for thirty years, even choosing to release the BBC tapes first just to spite bootleggers. There's no telling what he's got stored away.

13 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Weren’t you alluding to a Earl’s Court release? Is that still on your radar? 

4 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Well, again I have absolutely no reason to believe a 76 to 85 year old Page will deliver what a 75 year old Page has not.

He stated in December 2017 that previously unheard material would be released "for sure" in 2018 -- did not happen!

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/jimmy-page-says-unreleased-led-zeppelin-material-2018

13 minutes ago, Walter said:

Weren’t you alluding to a Earl’s Court release? Is that still on your radar? 

I have alluded to an Earls Court release as it was, at the time, at the forefront for Page's consideration and he was leaning towards it.  

At this point, we're left with whatever the Led Zeppelin Experience amounts to. I'm not optimistic it will yield anything substantial.

19 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

This ...unfortunately 

I know some bands have made an effort (eg. the King Crimson stuff above), but I still have this residual view of 'anniversary' releases as a marketing dept. scam, so I never even got my hopes up, let alone actually expected anything from this. Given Jimmy's repeated failure to back up his claims about future activity, I long ago learned to just ignore what he says about stuff like this. Even if he means it when he says it, chances are he's not going to bother in the end. Saved myself a lot of disappointment, this way. What does baffle me is Jimmy's aim of a ten-year release programme - I can't even work out what he thinks he's doing with that one! 

Archived