I'm calling it- On January 12th, I think Page will announce a release date for a new live album.

Maybe Page has finally realised, after fifteen years or so, that no one believes any of his solo new album bullshit so he's decided to change over to talking nonsense about a new live Zepoelin album next year. It's always next year with Page. 

He's lost all credibility through spending year after year talking rubbish about forthcoming plans that never materialise. Anything to keep his picture in the front of music magazines. It's time a journalist called him out on this even if it meant he won't speak to them in the future. After all he hasn't really anything to say anyway

12 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I have alluded to an Earls Court release as it was, at the time, at the forefront for Page's consideration and he was leaning towards it.  

At this point, we're left with whatever the Led Zeppelin Experience amounts to. I'm not optimistic it will yield anything substantial.

That sucks!  I thought you had the inside scoop on it...

15 hours ago, Paganini said:

Seriously ?! Can you give some example then please, I’d love to check these seminal works out -thanks.

Big band, blues, jazz. There are artists from the twenties that make Zep sound like Justin Bieber. A lot of people are too musically shallow to grasp it, unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Big band, blues, jazz. There are artists from the twenties that make Zep sound like Justin Bieber. A lot of people are too musically shallow to grasp it, unfortunately.

Who? I’ll check them out? 

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

Who? I’ll check them out? 

Oh man, where to start? But I'll warn you, if you can't put yourself in the time and place, and appreciate the attitude of the era, it all sounds like hokey music played in cartoons. If you can do that, then you'll see why the music between 1920 and the late 40s was probably the most sophisticated era of popular music.

Tommy Dorsey for one, had one of the best swing/jazz band's ever. Also featured a young Buddy Rich. If you've never watched Cab Calloway put on a show then you have no idea what live energy is. A rock show has nothing on these guys. Jelly Roll Morton was also great. And the good thing about this era is that not only are the musicians absolutely top notch, they also play with more feel and character than just about any other musical realm. That's what Swing and Big Band was all about, conveying emotion and excitement through music. Drummers? You've seen nothing from any rock band that compared to the 30s and 40s swing drummers. They were ridiculous.

Blues? That era was the pinnacle of original, down and dirty Delta blues. Son House, Charlie Patton. These were the guys everyone else tried to imitate. People like Robert Johnson actually cleaned it up and streamlined it, but that old stuff has all the soul.

9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Oh man, where to start? But I'll warn you, if you can't put yourself in the time and place, and appreciate the attitude of the era, it all sounds like hokey music played in cartoons. If you can do that, then you'll see why the music between 1920 and the late 40s was probably the most sophisticated era of popular music.

Tommy Dorsey for one, had one of the best swing/jazz band's ever. Also featured a young Buddy Rich. If you've never watched Cab Calloway put on a show then you have no idea what live energy is. A rock show has nothing on these guys. Jelly Roll Morton was also great. And the good thing about this era is that not only are the musicians absolutely top notch, they also play with more feel and character than just about any other musical realm. That's what Swing and Big Band was all about, conveying emotion and excitement through music. Drummers? You've seen nothing from any rock band that compared to the 30s and 40s swing drummers. They were ridiculous.

Blues? That era was the pinnacle of original, down and dirty Delta blues. Son House, Charlie Patton. These were the guys everyone else tried to imitate. People like Robert Johnson actually cleaned it up and streamlined it, but that old stuff has all the soul.

Ok thanks

On 2/8/2019 at 1:33 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

I don’t know much if anything about the big band jazz era although I did see the film Whiplash a while ago and thinking Wow -this stuff rocks !!

7 hours ago, Paganini said:

I don’t know much if anything about the big band jazz era although I did see the film Whiplash a while ago and thinking Wow -this stuff rocks !!

It's honestly the height of sophistication in popular music. It's the coolest of the cool and when those rockabilly boys of the 50s started popping up, everything turned juvenile. You should watch Sweet And Lowdown. It's highly dramatized (like Whiplash), but gives a good representation of jazz guitar.

6 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

It's honestly the height of sophistication in popular music. It's the coolest of the cool and when those rockabilly boys of the 50s started popping up, everything turned juvenile. You should watch Sweet And Lowdown. It's highly dramatized (like Whiplash), but gives a good representation of jazz guitar.

Ok thanks for the heads up G I’ll give it a look, could be the beginning of a whole new musical era for me 😀

7 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm a big jazz listener myself but I don't see the need to put other things down, Eddie Cochrane & Elvis were brilliant too.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:46 AM, Mook said:

I'm a big jazz listener myself but I don't see the need to put other things down, Eddie Cochrane & Elvis were brilliant too.

Absolutely. Certainly wasn't putting them down. Just saying things went in a different direction. 

Unless something has changed, it can be difficult to listen to music from the 20's to the 40's. Main reason being you have one

track mostly and burning the vinyl there would be subtle but very irritating changes in pitch overall and also between instruments. Think Charlie Parker with Strings....great playing, but the voices, horns, and strings are not in tune. Some of this

stuff can be fixed a bit with Pro Tools and other music production software. When you hit the mid 40's and early 50's, there is a 

marked rise in listenability. I am not an expert but listen to Little Rascals' Music.... But I agree, there are amazing jazz players/bands starting back in the 20's who were recorded.

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

Unless something has changed, it can be difficult to listen to music from the 20's to the 40's. Main reason being you have one

track mostly and burning the vinyl there would be subtle but very irritating changes in pitch overall and also between instruments. Think Charlie Parker with Strings....great playing, but the voices, horns, and strings are not in tune. Some of this

stuff can be fixed a bit with Pro Tools and other music production software. When you hit the mid 40's and early 50's, there is a 

marked rise in listenability. I am not an expert but listen to Little Rascals' Music.... But I agree, there are amazing jazz players/bands starting back in the 20's who were recorded.

What's out of tune on Charlie Parker with Strings?

Genuine question as I have that album & have never noticed anything, I certainly wouldn't want anyone going near it with Pro Tools.

That's very interesting. I have that album dated to the 70's. It's very possible whatever you have may have been cooked. There

are plenty of Soul/R&B albums from the 60's and 70's which have strings/orchestra that originally were not exactly in tune with

the "regular"band instruments like the bass, keys, guitar, etc. I have a TIME-LIFE Songs of the 70's collection, and plenty of songs have strings and band instruments pitch corrected, at least as much as possible.. Listen to Me and Mrs. Jones by Billly

Paul, check out the LP version and the later versions, great song but at times the strings are a bit awry. However, sometimes a 

slight bit   of out of tune-ness can enhance a song. Also, there are certainly many songs from the 70's  where the strings are fine, no correction necessary.

Having been brought up on my late fathers swing jazz,bossa nova,modern jazz/fusion records I can see now why he screamed when a rock drummer belted the crap out of a drum kit.A fan of When the Levee Breaks he wasn’t.But having inherited his vinyl collection and paying just $50 for over 300 hundred jazz cds at a garage sale ,man could some of these guys play.

Archived