Robert's dad and mum...completely erased?

duckman

I don't know if this is the right forum, and being an avid Zep head since 1972, I read quite some books, magazines and fanzines on them. One blind spot remains: Robert's parents. I've seen pics of Jimmy's dad and found his attendance at Knebworth pretty cool.

But what about Robert's parents? ...he grew up in a middle class family and they put their high hopes for Robert Anthony  to work as a chartered accountant (H.Mylett's first book). That's about it...no photo's, no info on siblings or other tidbits. Anyone? thanks in advance

I've discussed this quite a few time before. Unsure if I can muster the enthusiasm to do so again. An aggressive forum search should yield results. It is true that In 1964, to please his father, Robert did enter training to be an accountant but he quit after two weeks. Another less known fact I'll mention is Robert's Grandfather performed in a group called The Dudley Port Drinking Band.  

There's about as much out there about Robert's parents as there is about any of his peers parents.  Very little.  Some deep searching will reveal a few photos.  

As for his relationship with his father, you must appreciate what post war Britain was like.  Robert, despite his good education, dropped out of the expected career path, grew his hair, began dating an Indian girl, and chose the life of a musician. In 1960s provincial Britain, this was sheer madness and caused a serious estrangement with his parents. When success came, naturally things worked out.

You can see the resemblance between Robert and his Mum.

Edit: if there is a photographic blindspot, surely it's JPJ's parents, who I've never seen a picture of. Given they had a vaudeville double act, you'd think somewhere there'd be a photo from a local paper or similar.

Edited by 76229

10 hours ago, 76229 said:

If there is a photographic blindspot, surely it's JPJ's parents, who I've never seen a picture of. Given they had a vaudeville double act, you'd think somewhere there'd be a photo from a local paper or similar.

Joe Baldwin was a pianist and arranger for Big Bands in the 1940s -- important roles but not normally highlighted. Unfortunately, he died relatively young (August 1970).

"I couldn’t rival him as a pianist, so I went and learned the church organ" -- John Paul Jones discussing his father, Joe Baldwin (December 2012).

4 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Just found these images. Are they of Robert as a child?

Yes, courtesy of his sister Alison.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Robert Plant’s mother play a waitress in the video of :?

?in the mood or a big log or something like that?

I dont know where I picked that info from but I think it’s true. She’s like wearing something pink and she is pouring a cup of coffee maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a black Mini from Roberts Mum and Dad approx 1993 who i believe said they were selling it on behalf of their daughter. When we went to pick it up Robert was on the phone to his mum and she said she to him she would have to end the call as we were there to pick the car up - really nice couple who showed us the groups silver and gold disks around the dining room wall - I'm sure it was in Blakedown near Kidderminster but may have the location wrong.

• 1 year later...
On 10/25/2018 at 2:09 PM, Mook said:

His Dad looks like a bit of a character.

His dad met me from school at St Joseph’s in Stourbridge once or twice.. I thought he was an architect not an accountant.. I ALWAYS remembered the bow tie. 

I met his sister Allison and his mum when I was about 8 years old (1968/9) when I think  his dad was designing a house for us ! His mum and sister were keeping all the newspaper clips about his burgeoning career in the attic because his dad thought it would all come to nothing! I remember going there and my guardians talking about it.. they have lived in Kinver at this point? Not sure, I was v young… but the thing about the attic made me giggle 

11 hours ago, decolady said:

His dad met me from school at St Joseph’s in Stourbridge once or twice.. I thought he was an architect not an accountant.. I ALWAYS remembered the bow tie. 

I met his sister Allison and his mum when I was about 8 years old (1968/9) when I think  his dad was designing a house for us ! His mum and sister were keeping all the newspaper clips about his burgeoning career in the attic because his dad thought it would all come to nothing! I remember going there and my guardians talking about it.. they have lived in Kinver at this point? Not sure, I was v young… but the thing about the attic made me giggle 

That's awesome! When Robert was born, they resided on Trinity Road in West Bromwich.

A friend of mine received those scrapbooks directly from Robert's mother and still has them to this day. If I can locate the photos of those scrapbooks, it seems alright to post here. He is an absolute to bloke. A ferociously loyal friend to Bonzo and Robert.