Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
duckman

Robert's dad and mum...completely erased?

I don't know if this is the right forum, and being an avid Zep head since 1972, I read quite some books, magazines and fanzines on them. One blind spot remains: Robert's parents. I've seen pics of Jimmy's dad and found his attendance at Knebworth pretty cool.

But what about Robert's parents? ...he grew up in a middle class family and they put their high hopes for Robert Anthony  to work as a chartered accountant (H.Mylett's first book). That's about it...no photo's, no info on siblings or other tidbits. Anyone? thanks in advance

I've discussed this quite a few time before. Unsure if I can muster the enthusiasm to do so again. An aggressive forum search should yield results. It is true that In 1964, to please his father, Robert did enter training to be an accountant but he quit after two weeks. Another less known fact I'll mention is Robert's Grandfather performed in a group called The Dudley Port Drinking Band.  

There's about as much out there about Robert's parents as there is about any of his peers parents.  Very little.  Some deep searching will reveal a few photos.  

As for his relationship with his father, you must appreciate what post war Britain was like.  Robert, despite his good education, dropped out of the expected career path, grew his hair, began dating an Indian girl, and chose the life of a musician. In 1960s provincial Britain, this was sheer madness and caused a serious estrangement with his parents. When success came, naturally things worked out.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

His Dad looks like a bit of a character.

Yeah I've always thought that too haha.

Couldn't see him thinking too much of the southern toff bandmates Percy had

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame

September 18, 1997: Robert Plant's mother dies leading to a break in the studio sessions for 'Walking Into Clarksdale'.

August 15, 2004: Robert Plant's father dies peacefully at the age of 86.

You can see the resemblance between Robert and his Mum.

Edit: if there is a photographic blindspot, surely it's JPJ's parents, who I've never seen a picture of. Given they had a vaudeville double act, you'd think somewhere there'd be a photo from a local paper or similar.

Edited by 76229

3 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Doesn't Robert have a much younger sister called Allison?.

Yes he does. Not sure the age difference but I'm guessing around 9-10 years or so.

10 hours ago, 76229 said:

If there is a photographic blindspot, surely it's JPJ's parents, who I've never seen a picture of. Given they had a vaudeville double act, you'd think somewhere there'd be a photo from a local paper or similar.

Joe Baldwin was a pianist and arranger for Big Bands in the 1940s -- important roles but not normally highlighted. Unfortunately, he died relatively young (August 1970).

"I couldn’t rival him as a pianist, so I went and learned the church organ" -- John Paul Jones discussing his father, Joe Baldwin (December 2012).

4 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Just found these images. Are they of Robert as a child?

Yes, courtesy of his sister Alison.

14 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Just found these images. Are they of Robert as a child?.  

0Vhm2m3.jpg

h9UoJTA.png

N29zCO5.jpg

7pHyGZE.jpg

VQZTraf.jpg

FY2vugE.jpg

I think the third one down might be Bonham.

21 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

Did Roberts Dad appear in a season of Dr. Who ?    🤣

Looks like one of those British African safari hunters from the 20s. Just needs that weird hat.