Plant and old english folk tales/music?

robynzeppelyn

I'll post this in the "newbies" section since I am new. I am curious about Robert Plant/Led Zeppelin's interest in old folk music and/or folk tales from the British Isles. I have heard it from a local radio station (that gives all kinds of neat info about the music they play) that Plant is inspired by this stuff. I can hear that, what with all the references to battles and seasons and weather. I love the songs that sound mystical and dreamy like "The Battle of Evermore," and I am wondering if there is old music that sounds like this (acoustic instruments and wailing vocals). It's my absolute favorite sound, so I just want to know if there is some way to hear it beside in the Zeppelin songs I already know.

I am afraid to just go online and buy a "medieval" or "renaissance" music collection, because some people have wacky ideas about what those time periods really were.

Anyhow, thanks!

--Robyn

Yeah, Fairport Convention is the ideal place to start really. The History Of Fairport Convention is a great compilation which seems to be on permanent discount in record shops. Includes Sandy Denny's Fotheringay and Who Knows Where The Time Goes, both of which are worth the price of the CD on their own, let alone stuff like Matty Groves, Walk A While and Sloth.

Another great band from that time was Steeleye Span, though they're sadly always remembered for their big pop hit All Around My Hat (aka All Around My Arse according to The Fast Show). But they did some brilliant stuff and Maddy Prior has one of the truly great, chilling folk voices. Steeleye at their best were as good as Fairport at their best, but Fairport were more consistent with quality as time passed.

Thank you for your quick answer, eternal light. I knew about the Alison Krauss album (I'm an Appalachian myself) but I am esctatic to disover there is actually a genre of "British Electric Folk." Also, I wasn't sure if there was actually a woman singing with Plant on "Evermore" because her voice sounds so much like his. Now I have some listening to do.

Keep them coming if anyone else has favorites to suggest! Thanks for the tour dates too. That would be awesome to see them in TN.

--Robyn

I am afraid to just go online and buy a "medieval" or "renaissance" music collection, because some people have wacky ideas about what those time periods really were.

Anyhow, thanks!

By-the-way, you're very right about the interpretations thing, and Fairport and Steeleye were both electric bands (most the time) and put their own stamp all over traditional songs, or wrote their own pastiches of the trad stuff. So it's not particularly authentic, but it's probably the kind of thing that inspired Robert Plant more than anything. He's also referred to The Incredible String Band quite a lot, though they're just plain eccentric for the most part! (In a good way.)

There are people that have tried to be authentic, but you have to take risks with them really. Probably the most authentic sounding that I've heard (not having been around in Medieval times myself) is on records by Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band. They use authentic instruments and words and sometimes it's really effective, but it's an acquired taste I think.

Archived