Orlando overlooked

Mr_K

Is this one of their best shows from the 69-73 period? Note to note, song to song, all 4 musicians in sync for the night. Yes.

I see so few comments on it. The band was young, healthy, and in their peak performance time. They were still out to conquer America. After 73, they would always return as crowned kings of metal and never need to play with such consistent energy again. Orlando was their pinnacle of heavy rock swagger.

I'd like to hear what others think about the show. After listening to it again last night, I decided that if I could have only 1 year of complete Zeppelin soundboards, it would be from LA 8 21 71 onto this date through Burn Like A Candle to Tucson 6 28 72.

Thanks for reading.

Great performance and definitely an improvement in Robert's voice from the previous two shows in Fort Worth and the second night at the LA Forum. Robert goes for it again during the outro of Stairway and sings pretty excellent during Black Dog although he does sound pretty strained even though he goes for it at this show. 

great show and recording, lots of comments about it in various threads, and a quick search shows me there are 4 previous threads about it, two with over 25 comments each.  It also deservedly shows up in lots of comments about must have recordings and favorite shows.

7 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Definitely on my top five list. Immigrant Song comes blasting in heavier than I've ever heard it. Bonzo is lively, Page is exceptional, it's just a beast of a performance. 

My top 5 too.

I think the Japanese tour that follows overshadows this one show. Much recent Forum talk has been which Osaka/Tokyo date is the best. And Orlando becomes a musical black sheep. 

Today I think Orlando has them all beat. Not a perfect recording - it is far from it - but more clarity and punch than anything in Japan. 71 and 72.

Maybe that's why Orlando is overlooked in that respect, the amount of praise. It's not part of a package of related shows that fans can compare merits. Just a great stand alone.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, John M said:

great show and recording, lots of comments about it in various threads, and a quick search shows me there are 4 previous threads about it, two with over 25 comments each.  It also deservedly shows up in lots of comments about must have recordings and favorite shows.

6 threads on Japan 71/72 in the last 100 topics. True, there are more Far East shows to talk about. And Orlando is ranked highly. Just think, to requote Rodney Dangerfield, that this show don't get no respect.

Thanks for writing.

44 minutes ago, Mr_K said:

My top 5 too.

I think the Japanese tour that follows overshadows this one show. Much recent Forum talk has been which Osaka/Tokyo date is the best. And Orlando becomes a musical black sheep. 

Today I think Orlando has them all beat. Not a perfect recording - it is far from it - but more clarity and punch than anything in Japan. 71 and 72.

Maybe that's why Orlando is overlooked in that respect, the amount of praise. It's not part of a package of related shows that fans can compare merits. Just a great stand alone.

Thanks.

I compared Immigrant Song from 9/29 to Orlando and was surprised to find Page on a much higher level for the latter. The 9/29 performance sounds weak compared to his soloing on Orlando. Let's not talk about Japan 72 lol. 

On 11/15/2018 at 12:07 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Definitely on my top five list. Immigrant Song comes blasting in heavier than I've ever heard it. Bonzo is lively, Page is exceptional, it's just a beast of a performance. 

It’s a savage version of IS. Bonham counting them down - then they pumel the tiny Eddie Graham Sports Arena.  Crushing performance. Wish we had the entire WLL!

8 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

That's gotta be the biggest bootleg tease ever. One of the best performances and it stops when it gets good.

It’s like a hot chick twerking against you in a club and walks away mid-song...too much of a tease! Lol

Archived