Grande Ballroom Detroit '69

porgie66

These photos were graciously shared by a friend named Tom Gaston, who took them on May 16 1969 at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit. He has never publicly shared them before. He gave me the go ahead to share them with the fan community so here they are. I checked this gig on the timeline here and there are no other known photos from this gig so this is a nice find. 

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

11.jpeg

13.jpeg

15.jpeg

17.jpeg

JPage5-69.jpg

12 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Thanks for sharing - Great pics. There actually is a pic from this show in Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin official book. (I didn't include it in the site's Timeline ).

Now I know!!  Was wondering if there were any known pics from this gig. I know two people who went to this show and said they were totally blown away.  One guy said during Dazed , it occurred to him that unlike most rock shows he had been to, the audience was dead quiet during Jimmy's bow solo. He said people were mouths agape, in wonder. I'll ask if he has any more pics to share. He went to most of the shows they did in Detroit. 

Very good stuff indeed! I'm amazed by the fact that every few days new photo's are added to the site. 

I saw The Firm in 1985 at the Rosemont Horizon and brought in my Kodak Disc camera. I had a bunch of photo's from the gig, but lost them years ago. Every time I go back to the house I search the basement for those negatives - If/when I find I'll be sure to share. 

13 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Here's the other pics from this show which surfaced earlier this year. It's one of the rare events where JP used both the Telecaster and the newly acquired Les Paul.

1969-05-16-detroit-bgv-0d4.jpg

1969-05-16-detroit-bgv-0d5.jpg

1969-05-16-detroit-bgv-0g2.jpg

1969-05-16-detroit-bgv-0h1.jpg

1969-05-16-detroit-bgv-0d8.jpg

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/may-16-1969

Thanks Sam! These are really great. It's incredible how tightly setup they are and how close they are to the front of the stage. I'm going to ask Tom if he can see himself in these photos because he said he was right up front, as you can tell by the pics that he took of Jimmy.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:12 AM, porgie66 said:

These photos were graciously shared by a friend named Tom Gaston, who took them on May 16 1969 at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit. He has never publicly shared them before. He gave me the go ahead to share them with the fan community so here they are. I checked this gig on the timeline here and there are no other known photos from this gig so this is a nice find. 

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

11.jpeg

13.jpeg

15.jpeg

17.jpeg

JPage5-69.jpg

Do it Zep' do it"!..

Thank's for Posting your a Star" !..

• 3 months later...
On 11/21/2018 at 6:25 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

1969-05-16-detroit-bgv-0d4.jpg.5aa918b71ca4cc87e676ad5450d38486-picsay.jpg.b5172c79abf18c961eaa9fd024b3194c.jpg

"How was the Led Zeppelin concert?"

"I don't know, I slept through it."

Haha, must have been very wasted. Pagey precariously close to the edge of the stage! 

Looks like they're in the middle of Dazed....the ahahahahahhhh part with Page bending the string on the nut , and Plant imitating. Helluva thing to sleep through....just like a lullaby.   

On 11/18/2018 at 2:55 AM, The Only Way To Fly said:

Very good stuff indeed! I'm amazed by the fact that every few days new photo's are added to the site. 

I saw The Firm in 1985 at the Rosemont Horizon and brought in my Kodak Disc camera. I had a bunch of photo's from the gig, but lost them years ago. Every time I go back to the house I search the basement for those negatives - If/when I find I'll be sure to share. 

Ha Ha! I had a disc camera too. I took pics of Jimmy solo tour in 88.  The pics are terrible. Jimmy looked even further away than it appeared to us from our seats. I only got one photo that looked ok and I had to have it blown up as big as possible to see Jimmy. I still have the photo I think I'll look for it and try to get it posted.

PS. All the photos here are great Thanks to those who posted them!!

Archived