Still the greatest rock band!

chef free

14 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Hard to narrow to just 10 but in place of those I'd put Sabbath, Purple, even AC / DC

Agree with you there . Those are great bands, too!!!  Including Allman Bros and The Band.

R😎👍

I'm bored so here's my top 10:-

1. Led Zeppelin

2. The Who

3. The Rolling Stones

4. Funkadelic

5. Deep Purple

6. Black Sabbath

7. Jimi Hendrix Experience

8. James Gang

9. The Black Crowes

10. AC/DC (Bon Scott era)

It may change depending on what I'm listening to. I'm not counting The Beatles as 'rock' although I suppose they could be.

The 'Glaring Omission Award' goes to.......ZZ Top!

ZZ TOP (in the 70's) rocked harder and louder than damn near anybody. The Rolling Stones were fucking lightweights compared to the heaviness and raw power that ZZ Top was delivering...along with great albums and monster hits throughout that entire decade. 

The online poll that is at the beginning of this thread points out that it is by generation, with Zeppelin being the overall winner across all those generations polled.  One entry that really suprises me is Thin Lizzy.   In my experience in the US in the 70s most people only really knew the one big hit single Boys are Back in Town.  I didn't know anyone who listened to them alot, and I think Boys are Back was the only song I heard on the radio.  I guess they were much more popular in the UK, which makes sense.

One hard rock band I think deserves mention in any list like this is Aerosmith.  I would put their first 4 albums up  against any rock band except Zeppelin.  

2 hours ago, John M said:

The online poll that is at the beginning of this thread points out that it is by generation, with Zeppelin being the overall winner across all those generations polled.  One entry that really suprises me is Thin Lizzy.   In my experience in the US in the 70s most people only really knew the one big hit single Boys are Back in Town.  I didn't know anyone who listened to them alot, and I think Boys are Back was the only song I heard on the radio.  I guess they were much more popular in the UK, which makes sense.

One hard rock band I think deserves mention in any list like this is Aerosmith.  I would put their first 4 albums up  against any rock band except Zeppelin.  

Radio plays “Jailbreak”, too. 

Later, “Whiskey in a jar” , only because of the Metallica cover.

R😎

7 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

ZZ TOP (in the 70's) rocked harder and louder than damn near anybody. The Rolling Stones were fucking lightweights compared to the heaviness and raw power that ZZ Top was delivering...along with great albums and monster hits throughout that entire decade. 

That's for damn sure. 👍🏼

Ok real quick,& skip past your top 10 list (FAIL). 

MORE PERSONAL ACCOUNTS OF HOW ONE BECAME BIG FANS AS THE ALBUMS HIT THE AIRWAVES,

PLEEEEASE!

i missed all of that but i can tell u "post zep" , their was no denying ZEP were the KINGS once one realized "wow! most of the best songs ive ever heard over several yrs  ,ARE BY ONE BAND!"  from heavy "the imigrant song" to  songs  like "fool in the rain" = ALL one band ? 

That & just banter from other HS kids in the hallways between classes as i slowly realized i was on to something HUGE! I was just as proud of myself (somehow) for getting #1 rite! 

I wore that BIG ZEP PATCH proudly on the  back of my jean jacket! 

Sorry.... lost myself in my HS yrs 81'-85' 

& forgot where i was going with this ..haha ha 

ZEP will forever be 1 of the BEST loves of my life!!!!

On 11/25/2018 at 8:49 AM, blindwillie127 said:

I agree with every thing you said except the exaggeration of referring to RS as "lightweights" in comparison, getting slightly carried away, ZZ kicked ass no doubt, but when you throw shade at another group, especially RS w/Mick Taylor, you are pulling the rug from under the case your trying to make, they had raw power too, no monopoly on that. I'll repeat the case for Peter Green and early Fleetwood Mac, one of the most under appreciated and least acknowledged hard driving blues bands/rock artists! Green was a force of nature on the guitar, he always seemed to hold back more than he should have . . . left you wanting more! 

12 hours ago, Tainted cheese said:

I agree with every thing you said except the exaggeration of referring to RS as "lightweights" in comparison, getting slightly carried away, ZZ kicked ass no doubt, but when you throw shade at another group, especially RS w/Mick Taylor, you are pulling the rug from under the case your trying to make, they had raw power too, no monopoly on that.

Point well taken B)

Archived