Nitpicking Page 1979

gibsonfan159

Nitpicking Page 7/23/1979 Copenhagen (EVSD- Complete Warm ups)

copenhagen79-d_0.jpg.8ae9f2222c9a76ddf3da8e09ee1109a5.jpgcop79-f_0.jpg.ac0d993e1803ec6643482bff58620c62.jpg

This is a very good sounding audience source with the guitar just a little low in the mix. Plant's voice is pretty dreadful here, so my ratings are taking that into account.

TSRTS- Tremendous energy. 1:01, minor chord flub. First solo- Articulation is a little hard to make out, but his fingers are definitely moving fast. Second solo is impossible to make out, but sounds about average. Plant sounds like he's in need of medical attention near the end. "B+" if disregarding the vocals.

Celebration Day- Good start. First solo- solid as a rock. Outro solo- Flying fingers put down an awesome series of runs. Very good despite Plant's struggles. "A".

Black Dog- Plant smoothing out a little. Solid first half with good energy. 3:37, Plant let's the crowd attempt the high note. Solo- Erratic in all the right ways. Page unleashes every phrase and bend in the book with fairly good articulation and energy. I'd rate this solo over the soundtrack version. "A+", despite the rough vocals.

NFBM- Plant sounds a little tone deaf on the intro. Massive guitar tone. Harmonica- Starts nice but runs out of steam quickly. Guitar solo- Good start. 4:59, some awkward phrasing. Not bad at all. 6:08, a little out of sync on the ending. "B".

OTHAFA- Good tempo on a flawless intro. First verses hit hard and sound good. Guitar solo- Low octave noodling is phrased well, articulation is fair. 4:05, Page isn't hesitating to shred tonight. 4:17, some unique riffs. Not a bad solo, just more surreal than usual. The return is solid and the song winds down nicely. "B+", considering some looseness.

MMH- Moving right along with a frantic tempo. Makes me wonder if this boot is running the correct speed. Decent verses. 2:27, Page is off the track. Solo- Barely hanging on. 4:14, yikes. This song should have been played at half speed instead of faster.  "C".

SIBLY- A lethargic intro with Page not really letting loose, which is surprising considering how he's played so far. 3:24, some atonal notes. Solo- Different, but not bad. Very laid back and flowing smoothly. 4:35, ouch. 5:45-6:00, a strong finish. The most unique version I've heard. Poor Plant was trying but he was basically irrelevant. Some flubs keep this at a "B".

No Quarter- Good start. Nitpicking Jones- A different approach as there is no segue from organ to piano. A decent routine, but it's one of those that sounds like he's just running through whatever he knows. Nevertheless, it flows quite well. Bonzo comes in for a very nice pre-solo jam (ala 1973 versions). Solo- 7:23, some very impressive fluid runs. Page is really feeling it here, keeping a fluid stream of notes flowing. 8:52, these nice little bends with heavy vibrato are a nice touch. 9:11, some unique phrasing, very cool. 10:44, "slooow". 12:18, Page's wah section on the outro is phrased nicely, starting slow and building into a climax for the dogs of doom. Good ending. First of all, thank goodness they dropped the boogie jam and nutrocker. This is a very solid version with a coherent Page, Plant doesn't sound as bad, and Jones and Bonham simply do their job. "B+", considering Jones could've been better.

Hot Dog- Just a little sticky on the intro. Verses sound good. Solo (2:02)- Ok, Jimmy is no James Burton. You gotta commend the guy for trying, but he falls on his face here. These licks are similar to the ones he played on the 71/72 WLL medleys, but he just can't get it together tonight. Overall, not too bad excluding the solo. "B" for a first time rating.

The Rain Song- Very strange place to stick this song. 1:30, slight hangup. Everything flows smoothly and they nail the rock section, with Plant's raspy vocals emphasizing the emotion. Another slight hangup at 7:50. "B+".

White Summer/Black Mountainside- A slow, unsure start. Once he gets going it smooths out some. 4:33, struggling a little. "B".

Kashmir- Plant sounds much better here. This is a nice version with the keyboards sitting perfectly in the mix. "A".

Trampled Underfoot- A pounding tempo and good energy. Jones' solo is short and sweet. Guitar solo- Starts off great with nice phrasing, but gets a little forced sounding toward the end. Not a bad performance. "B+".

Achilles Last Stand- Page plays the intro lacking confidence, almost like he's tuning up. Once Bonzo gets going it's the familiar thunder. 2:44, I think there was some confusion here. First solo- Page nails down some excellent phrases and bends. Very good. Bonzo's intricate drumwork isn't coming through on the mix very well. Second solo- Not bad, but lacking. 7:28, badass drum fill. Third solo- A little sticky but fairly good. This one honestly sounded like a warm-up routine, oh wait, this is a warm-up show. "B".

Guitar solo- They've consolidated the bow section and drum solo, which works as the intro for In The Evening. I find it funny that Page thinks people still wanna see him play guitar with a violin bow in 1979, especially without the mood setting of Dazed And Confused. Then again, this whole setlist seems confused.

In The Evening- The song kicks off nicely with blaring synths and whammy bars. Guitar solo- 3:25-3:34, nice stretch. 3:45, this synth motif by Jones feels awkward. 5:45, Page getting in some more impressive runs with the Strat. "B+".

Stairway To Heaven- Speedy tempo. There's some enthusiasm missing, but the darker mood gives a new appeal to it. Solo- Some stickiness off the bat. 6:41, nice run. 7:08, Page going nuts with the staccato chording. The final runs are a tad sticky but the climax sounds good. The song winds down to one person clapping lol. Definitely a different feel on this one. "B".

Rock And Roll- Jones was still getting plugged in when they kicked off. Solo- Quite messy, but he plays with passion. A very thin sounding version. "B".

Final Assessment- It was called a warm-up performance, and that's exactly what it sounds like. Definitely looser than tight, with a lack of enthusiasm for the last two thirds. Celebration Day and Black Dog are the highlights, both of which have ample energy and nimble fingers from Pagey. They haven't gotten the new material down pact just yet and sound offbeat in this strange setlist.

I've always found this show to be a bit underrated. The 2nd Copenhagen and 1st Knebworth shows get praised a lot, but this show doesn't get talked about on its own that much. Sure it pales in comparison to the next night, but it's damn good in its own right. SIBLY and NQ in particular are fantastic. Apart from the trainwreck in Misty Mountain Hop and a sluggish Achilles, all the songs are performed really well imho. I also don't think Plant's voice sounds as bad as you made it out to be in your review. He's a bit rough, but not too bad all things considered. I also think this show is much more energetic than you give it credit for. Just listen to Bonzo on TSRTS. Whoo boy!

Make sure you seek out the Pseudonym remaster for the 24th. It really brings out the best in that recording.

8 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

I also think this show is much more energetic than you give it credit for. Just listen to Bonzo on TSRTS. Whoo boy!

We'll, I did say it had "tremendous energy" lol.

I think this show is comparable to a lot of 1975 performances, where it takes Robert a few songs to get warmed up, and Page a few songs to start making mistakes. Not a bad show by any means, but doesn't it feel like something is missing on the last half? I suppose a two year break will do that. Also new technology on stage giving everything a different sound.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

We'll, I did say it had "tremendous energy" lol.

I think this show is comparable to a lot of 1975 performances, where it takes Robert a few songs to get warmed up, and Page a few songs to start making mistakes. Not a bad show by any means, but doesn't it feel like something is missing on the last half? I suppose a two year break will do that. Also new technology on stage giving everything a different sound.

Ok, I admittedly missed that part lol. But apart from Achilles, I don't think the energy flags for the last half of the show. May be some nerves here and there, but they're playing with a passion that I don't hear in most of the 75 and 77 shows. Also, they were dealing with equipment issues both nights, which might explain flubs such as the beginning of Rock and Roll.

I'd say that for their first performance in two years, this is nothing short of a miracle. If you go back to 1/12/75 or 4/3/77, they're clearly under rehearsed and it shows. I don't know if they rehearsed more for this show, or if they just got focused, but either way, I'd still say this is a great show all things considered.

Nitpicking Page 7/24/1977 Copenhagen (The Complete Warmups- EVSD)

7-24-79-copenhagen10_0.jpg.a747021a8624b5384671fc21b1be935c.jpgcopenhagen79-b_0.jpg.2531fec6ea2cb8e073210f8148b2d5cd.jpgcopenhagen79-aa_0.jpg.512e44bcb3c3a45876833092e699c30b.jpg

A decent audience source that requires some mild bootleg ears, but sounds great on some tracks. This is widely regarded as one of the best post-73 Jimmy Page performances, so let's have a nitpick.

TSRTS- Good energy on the kickoff. Plant still sounding just slightly hoarse. First solo- A soundboard just might expose some inarticulate picking, but this audience source sounds simply astounding. Outro solo- sounding good. No reason not to give this an "A+".

Celebration Day- Furious pace. First solo- solid. Outro solo- Everything about this screams "1973". Very good. "A+".

Black Dog- 1:36, Plant goes for the stratosphere, obviously aided by vocal effects, but good either way. Solo- Pretty good routine. I didn't care for Page's thinner guitar tone tonight, but it's a high end performance. "A".

NFBM- Not even stopping to chat or catch their breath. Page obviously has a bone to pick with tonight's audience. Good, driving tempo. 1:13, slight off note. Harmonica- Better than the previous night. Solo- One of the best I've heard. Unreal. "A+".

OTHAFA- Again, no chit chat and straight to the next one. Speedy intro, played perfectly. Solid verses. Solo- I'm having a hard time telling myself this isn't 1973. The articulation, and above all, the phrasing, is better than anything I've heard from 75 or 77. Somehow after 6 years he's tapped back into the coherency he had at the tail end of the 73 tour. Just complete control over the fretboard and unbound confidence. The solo is a perfect combo of 73 ability and the 77 flight through the galaxy phrasing. Solid ending. "A++".

MMH- Good verses and a frantic tempo. Solo- Definitely makes up for the previous night. 3:24-3:27, a little hard to hear, but listen to these arpeggiated trills Page throws in like it's nothing. "A+".

SIBLY- Plant finally gets a chance to introduce a song. Like the previous night, the song comes in and flows in a very different, strange manner. Plant sounds alright, but his lyrics are rushed and emotionless just like in 77. Solo- A steady stream of boisterous blues runs, very heavy on accented bends. 6:53, weird sounding note. 7:29, slight flub. I know the band is constantly evolving their songs and sound, but after 75 they turned this one from a gloomy tale of heartbreak into a screaming, angry guitar blazer. This is different, but it's fairly solid with a couple mistakes. "B+".

No Quarter- Decent start and excellent audio quality now. Nitpicking Jones- 3:03, is that "Right Here, Right Now"? The piano routine is a little lackluster and the crowd shouting doesn't help. A very short jam before the solo. Solo- 5:17-5:30, no turkey gobbling here as Page rips some blazingly fast and articulate runs. I still can't wrap my head around how this version of Page came back from the dead. 5:53-5:58, mimicking his own improvised runs on different octaves. This entire solo is phrasing heaven, and executed flawlessly. The fast runs, the monstrous bends, all done to perfection. Don't miss that drum fill at 6:29. The return is good and Page gets in the usual wah licks at the end, phrased nicely. Plant acknowledges Jones at the end lol. Did he not just hear Page lay down the law? A little torn on this version- it's quite possibly the best solo I've ever heard from Jimmy..ever. Like, at any time ever. Easily beats the soundtrack version in my opinion, and I worship that version. But, Jones was extremely lackluster and Plant's voice still isn't on a 77 level. I'll still go "A".

Ten Years Gone- Good intro, audio gets a little more distant. First solo (2:30)- Excellent phrasing. 3:05, awesome pedal steel bends. 3:08, slight flub. Second solo (3:30)- Flawless. Third solo (5:40)- Awesome. Outro- Again, perfection. 6:53, the bass finally kicks in. Bonham could've been more lively, but still an "A+". 

Hot Dog- Good intro, solid verses. Solo- Well then, listen to those bends. Jesus. 2:25, it's hard to make out, but he's doing some very nifty hybrid picking, which sounds like two guitars at once. He completely fudged this part the previous night. This performance has the mood and atmosphere that the studio version is lacking. As a matter of fact, this should've been the studio version. Raucous, energetic, and fun- you can almost hear a barstool breaking over someone's head and beer glasses clacking. "A+". (3:33, Page throws in a couple more country licks)

Rain Song- 1:33, I think Page is rushing it a little. The rock section sounds fantastic, good emotion. A little sticky at 7:30. Played flawlessly, but it's lacking that relaxed feeling it usually invokes. "B+".

White Summer/Black Mountainside- 0:42, literally looked out the window to see who was banging on the door. Phrased a little spastically on the first part, but once he gets going he really goes. Bonham accenting everything perfectly. BMS is a little sticky fingered. "B".

Kashmir- Plant's voice just lacks power here, but its a solid performance albeit a keyboard heavy one. 6:33-6:38, Jones starts playing with his face (too much wine behind the amps). Maybe it's just this version, but this song doesn't have the same majestic impact it did in 75 and 77. "B".

Trampled Underfoot- Good energy out of the gate. Jones lays down some funky riffs for his solo, though the last few phrases sound off. Guitar solo- Page enters like a thunderstorm rolling in, skies turning black. Listen to that tone. Excellently phrased, full of moody atmosphere. Page sounds like the wise adult in a room full of high schoolers trying to act cool, creating a brooding soundscape that seems to tease the bouncy, joyful song with a threat of doom. "A".

Sick Again- Page misses the opening chord by just a hair. Devastatingly heavy verses. 0:41, some nice improv riffing. First solo- Very good runs with solid articulation. Outro solo- Erratic as usual, but fairly good. Just to re-calibrate my mindset, I went back and listened to the versions from 3/12/75, 5/18/75, 5/25/75, and LA 77. Though he played fluently on those, I still don't think he had the control he has tonight. He's at least on par with all those performances. "A".

Achilles Last Stand- Good energetic start. First solo (3:33)- Good off the bat, but some of the bends sound strained. 4:17, one of the fastest runs I've heard by Page. 4:24-4:34 sounds quite dreadful. Second solo (5:11)- Solid. Third solo (6:25)- Some looseness, but ok. Fourth solo (7:39)- Not great. Ending is a little awkward. Well, apart from WS/BMS this is the only subpar performance by Page so far tonight. Hope this show doesn't go downhill from here, that would be a travesty. "B".

Guitar solo- The crowd interacts enthusiastically to the bow section. Bonham gets a good intro going for the next track.

In The Evening- Good balance between synths and guitar. Bonham is really shining on this. Guitar solo- very nice. The breakdown sounds less awkward tonight as Page matches the melancholy mood. Outro solo has some vicious bends and whammy dives. Kick ass version. "A".

Stairway To Heaven- Basically an encore tonight. 0:25, mellotron troubles (or whatever he's using now). The song moves with much more confidence on the uptempo part. Solo- 5:50, Page wastes no time changing the phrasing up. The staccato chording sounds good. Final bars are played fairly well. I just can't get used to this shortened solo as I keep waiting for the slower part where Page does his best work. And it's a shame they played a shortened version tonight, of all. "B+", held back by the mellotwonk.

WLL- Good swagger on the intro. Page knocks down an excellent solo and goes into the Willie Dixon version of the song. Some of the chording is loose, but it's full of attitude. Plant hits the high note out of the park for a nice return. "A".

Final Assessment- I'm at a loss for words, confused, bewildered, and humbled all at once. To say this is the best Jimmy Page since 1973 would be a lie- it's honestly the best Jimmy Page I've ever heard, any year. The level he's playing on tonight is unfathomable considering how he's been struggling for the previous six years. Even on his best nights in 75 and 77 he still didn't have his previous mastery over the fretboard. This night he hit the next level, like he had been improving since 73. This truly is a landmark performance by Page and those who were in the audience witnessed lightning in a bottle. One has to ask, is this simply just a sober Page? It's illogical to give credit to drugs considering he'd been on that road for years at this point. So, is it a complete lack of chemical influence that allowed his brain to function at 100% this night? It's bittersweet in a way, because it makes you wonder what kind of ground they could've laid if Page had been like this since 73. A soundboard of this could really reveal a lot. 

I usually agree for the most part on your reviews of each concert and I agree with almost everything you said about these two Copenhagen concerts except for Since I've Been Loving You from the 23rd which is one of my favorite ever versions they did with it's jazzy style arrangement and then the Achilles Last Stand from the 24th which is in my top 5, it's not a nitpicking thread without nitpicking the nitpicker haha.

4 hours ago, wordev1977 said:

I usually agree for the most part on your reviews of each concert and I agree with almost everything you said about these two Copenhagen concerts except for Since I've Been Loving You from the 23rd which is one of my favorite ever versions they did with it's jazzy style arrangement and then the Achilles Last Stand from the 24th which is in my top 5, it's not a nitpicking thread without nitpicking the nitpicker haha.

No, I understand what you're saying. Achilles from the 24th certainly thunders along like a freight train and has excellent energy. My rating was strictly influenced by Page's solos, where I've heard better from him on this track. Such a shame he didn't nail this to complete the ultimate performance.

Yep, I’ve been waiting to see your comments on 7/24

total fluke show out of nowhere Jimmy just plays like a man possessed, in reality, Jimmy NEVER plays this well again for rest of his life

so glad bootleggers captured one of his all time great performances 

easily in top 3 fave Zep shows for me

An excellent review of an outstanding show. I too am wondering whether Page was perhaps sober for this gig. His playing certainly seems much more focused and he's doing things that would have been unthinkable in any other show from 73 onwards. I always point to this show when people say Page lost it forever after 1973. This is the band's last truly great show imho.

10 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

It's bittersweet in a way, because it makes you wonder what kind of ground they could've laid if Page had been like this since 73.

I totally agree. It also provides a preview for how good Zeppelin could have been in the 80s if they had just cleaned themselves up. Imagine a sober Page, a sober(ish) Bonham, and a vocal coach to teach Plant how to preserve his voice. God they could have been incredible! Alas, I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:52 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

The level he's playing on tonight is unfathomable considering how he's been struggling for the previous six years. Even on his best nights in 75 and 77 he still didn't have his previous mastery over the fretboard. This night he hit the next level, like he had been improving since 73. This truly is a landmark performance by Page and those who were in the audience witnessed lightning in a bottle. One has to ask, is this simply just a sober Page?

I think that's what it all boils down to. His playing suffered after 73 because he turned into a heroin addict. That stuff not only ruins your mind, but it also takes over your life, meaning that one would be less interested in playing guitar all the time and more interested in getting high. Booze also has a lot to do with it. If Jimmy started getting drunk every show, more so than in the early years, then that would obviously have an effect on his playing. Look at Jimmy in 98, he was smoking! Best playing since 73. Sobriety and practice has everything to do with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Nitpicking Page 8/4/1979 Knebworth (Thanks For Eleven Years- Winston Remaster)

led-zeppelin-AU9S_o_tn.jpg.3a8a5413fead55a89ee2e1d82178e3e2.jpgz4.jpg.07f46fa43228e8c43769e710153e1977.jpgzep-4th-aerial.jpg.23ae90e56f77538094748fc4863225b8.jpg

I highly recommend the Winston version, which I believe is a matrix of "soundboard" and the audience source. The sound quality of the soundboards (video feeds) are almost intolerable to my ears, with the constant buzzing in the background. Obviously, the best way to listen is with the DVD, but Page refuses to release the entire show. This is undoubtedly regarded as the best of the two Knebworth shows. I've watched the videos a hundred times, but I've never listened closely with a good set of headphones. Let's see what we've got here.

TSRTS- Sound quality isn't great here, but improves later. A good energetic start with Bonham sounding lively. Verses sound good. First solo- pretty sticky off the bat, though his fingers are quite nimble at 2:47. 3:47, some sloppy chording. Outro solo- Sticky and loose. His heart is in it though. "B".

Celebration Day- So hard to not anticipate the Rover intro here. Poor Page barely gets off the ground for the intro, but once Bonzo comes in they're off to the races. Solo- Played well, but rushed. Outro solo- Good, raunchy leads off the bat. Some rough phrasing at 2:50. That intro really brings it down. "B".

Black Dog- Solid start. 1:36, me thinks Plant was aided by a vocal effect. Bonham's kit sounds really good on this. Guitar solo (3:30)- Starts off with some good runs. 3:52, a little inarticulate. 4:16-4:45 has lots of straining and sounds pretty bad in places. A far cry from 7/24, but I'll be generous and give it a "B+". If this were a 1975 recording I imagine it would sound much worse.

NFBM- Page's chording is just a little sloppy on the intro and the thin tone doesn't help. Solid first half with some monster drum fills and an excellent harmonica solo. Guitar solo- Some nifty runs on the start. 4:50, articulation isn't great but he's careful not to overdo it. Overall, this is a very heavy, high energy version with Bonham killing it. "A".

OTHAFA- Very good intro with the delay coming through. 2:24, minor flub. Solo- 2:55, some bad articulation. 3:44, severe turkey gobbling. All in all, it's a well phrased solo. The return is good and Page ends well except for a minor flub at 5:41. Plant seemed to strain a little but held it together quite well. A high spirited version, but technically I've gotta go "B".

MMH- Wasting no time kicking this off. The revamped performances of this are more energetic than the ones from 72/73 and hold one's attention quite well. 0:32, don't miss Bonzo's excellent fills. 2:23, 2:35, 2:43, 2:49, 3:36- he's a madman on this. Solo- Played and phrased nicely, perfection. Page's outro leads sound good and the song stops with the signature abruption, except they don't immediately launch into SIBLY. The most lively Bonham since 6/21/77. Honestly, maybe the best version I've heard. "A+". (5:06, Plant jokes about "stealing" the blues).

SIBLY- 0:10, some bum guitar notes and it sounds like Jones tries to match them. Very sticky, poorly phrased intro. The verses get going quite well. Plant actually sings with more conviction here than on the 77 versions. Solo- Page doesn't rush and gets some good phrasing down. 4:30, very nice run. 5:03 sounds superb, almost like a different song. 5:34, just a tad sticky, but one of the better solos I've heard. Could've used some more Bonzo and it's a shame about the intro, but overall a very good version. "B+".

No Quarter- Good intro. Jones- Slow paced, but phrased fairly well. 4:44, boogie phrasing minus the others sounds good. Bonham comes in for an excellent pre-solo jam. Solo- Page drops in nicely, but loses the flow a bit after 7:34. Some hints at nimble fingers but sounds like he's afraid to let loose. 9:05, finally wakes up with some good wah riffs but quickly goes back into sleep mode. 10:43, alive again with some superb shred licks. 11:25-11:48, ascending to the heavens right before Jones brings it back around. Not a bad solo at all, but Page was overly reserved in places. Some decent soloing on the outro as Page relies on the wah pedal. Not the total package, but I'd put this version up against any from previous years. A very solid "B+".

Ten Years Gone- Very good sound quality now though the guitar is low. Solid intro and verses. First solo (3:50)- The guitar signal finally comes through at 4:15 (probably due to missing soundboard), but this sounds like a fairly good solo. Plant's voice a little screechy on the return. 4:58, Plant squeak. Second solo (5:00)- Solid. Third solo (7:03)- Played and phrased well. Page stays fairly reserved on the outro and ends it adequately. Though it's a decent performance, there's a noticeable amount of energy missing and Plant doesn't sound great. "B+".

Hot dog- A very good launch and Jones gets some nifty piano work in. Solo- I don't remember Page playing so well here, but he does. Very close to the 7/24 solo. A good ending for an excellent version, despite Plant's voice not being very strong. "A".

The Rain Song- Smooth as butter. The rock section is keyboard heavy and lacking guitar, but done well. Good outro makes for an "A" version.

White Summer- Just a little sticky on the intro, but sounds great once the tempo increases. I think a major problem with this track is that Page just improvises way too much, creating some loose ends and bad phrases. But he stays fairly focused on this version compared to others. "B+".

Black Mountainside- A decent run through. "B+".

Kashmir- Excellent balance of instruments. Plant sounds like he's really struggling to stay in key on the verses, hovering at the absolute height of his new high range (now different than even 1977). Also gone is any hint of the raspiness that was his signature for so long. Nevertheless, he manages to put down solid vocals for this inspired version. "A".

Trampled Underfoot- A driving tempo out of the gate. Jones gets a good routine in. Solo- Page hints at some build-up phrasing then launches into what has to be the sloppiest, most inarticulate note-guessing ever attempted. Luckily he settles down and gets some decent runs in toward the end. 5:35-5:47, quite sloppy. Plant does well throughout, getting a little of his raspiness back. The rating for this track almost solely comes down to Page, as everyone else follows a pretty standard routine. That said, I'll give it a "C+", though the energy level is high.

Sick Again- Absolutely thunderous kickoff. Solo- Phrased nicely and played well. Notable drum fill at 1:53. Plant's enthusiasm on the verses is really something else. Much more convincing than previous years. Outro solo- A little sticky and spastic, but par for the song. Actually, above par. This is the shocker so far for me. I've watched the video numerous times but never realized how powerful this performance was. It's played with unrivaled confidence and features a very solid Page. An "A+" version in my honest opinion.

Achilles- Good intro and verses with the guitar up front. First solo- Some heavy reverb or delay would sound excellent, but this is played perfectly in my opinion. Top notch phrasing. Second solo- Some slight straining, but otherwise good. Third solo- No delay coming through but it still sounds ok (Considering no effects are coming through, is it right to assume this is a soundboard instead of a video feed?). Very good, strangely relaxing version. "A".

In The Evening- Excellent energy. I have to admit, the keyboard almost ruins this song for me. I think it would be a good live rocker minus the horror movie synths. First solo- Good off the bat. 4:22, a weird descending riff. 4:41, Page ends on the wrong note but wisely slides up. 4:54, Page's arpeggiated riff sounds great. 5:20, rare pinch harmonics. 5:47, I might be mistaken but sounds like Jones plays in the wrong key for a measure. Outro solo- Page does some daring whammy dives which sound pretty good. Bonham puts down the thunder toward the end for a fairly solid version. "B+".

Stairway To Heaven- Page sets a nervous pace and isn't perfectly tuned. Plant sounds like he's rushing to keep up with Pagey. Solo- Steadily phrased, sluggish in parts, but overall good. He does come alive for the final measures though to set up an energetic climax. Faint sounds of the audience singing the last verses. Played well, but the quick tempo and uninspired solo keep it at a "B+".

Rock And Roll- Page's guitar sounds dreadful. Solo- Pretty rough. The energy is there, but the sound is messy. "B".

WLL- Plant's voice has relaxed quite a bit and the characteristic raspiness is present. 0.53, Page throws in a minor chord sequence that sounds very menacing. Solo- Played adequately. You Need Love- Kicks off with tremendous attitude. 2:21, Page struggles a little here. 5:18, "You know you make me wanna.." someone in the crowd yells "Shout!!". The audience version finishes this one out and Page throws in that menacing riff a couple more times. I've always been biased toward this version as I love the You Need Love riffs. Much better than the quick psychedelic routine that jumps straight into another track. "A".

Heartbreaker- Monstrous guitar tone, the best I've heard since '72. Solid verses. Solo- Bonzo adds some hi-hat accents on the rockabilly section. Some standard turkey gobbling on the speedy part and a decent set of runs to finish the solo. A good return for a solid "B+" version, held back by a lackluster solo. Not bad at all. 

Final Assessment- Certainly a step down from 7/24 as far as Page is concerned, but just maybe a step up with the others. Page isn't bad here, he's just not very consistent. Highlights are a forceful NFBM, damn near perfect Misty Mountain Hop, and an over-confident Sick Again. The WLL performance is also very confident and experimental and Achilles is as solid as ever. I think what impresses me most about this show is that Page was able to wield a double neck guitar while weighing only 90lbs. This is seriously the worst Page has looked in his career, so the performance is actually very good considering.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:17 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Final Assessment- Certainly a step down from 7/24 as far as Page is concerned, but just maybe a step up with the others. Page isn't bad here, he's just not very consistent. Highlights are a forceful NFBM, damn near perfect Misty Mountain Hop, and an over-confident Sick Again. The WLL performance is also very confident and experimental and Achilles is as solid as ever. I think what impresses me most about this show is that Page was able to wield a double neck guitar while weighing only 90lbs. This is seriously the worst Page has looked in his career, so the performance is actually very good considering.

Wonderful stuff, Gibsonfan...I think i'll give the official Knebworth segment on DVD another spin. 

About Jimmy's looks...I guess his appearance at the ARMS shows is even worse.

32 minutes ago, SamoKodela said:

Check out 1983 perfomances for cold turkey gobbling!

The first 2:30 of him here from 1983 is friggen awesome. If I didn't know it was Jimmy, I might not have guessed. He plays with clarity, restraint and wonderful feel. He sounds like he's playing in the style of Jeff Beck on this one.

25 minutes ago, Christopher Lees said:

The first 2:30 of him here from 1983 is friggen awesome. If I didn't know it was Jimmy, I might not have guessed. He plays with clarity, restraint and wonderful feel. He sounds like he's playing in the style of Jeff Beck on this one.

That's what I meant! ;)

led-zeppelin-AU9S_o_tn.jpg.3a8a5413fead55a89ee2e1d82178e3e2.jpgz4.jpg.07f46fa43228e8c43769e710153e1977.jpgzep-4th-aerial.jpg.23ae90e56f77538094748fc4863225b8.jpg

Hot dog- A very good launch and Jones gets some nifty piano work in. Solo- I don't remember Page playing so well here, but he does. Very close to the 7/24 solo. A good ending for an excellent version, despite Plant's voice not being very strong. "A".

Are you sure you heard the right version? The version from the 4th is pretty crappy. Page 's playing is really crap and as sloppy as it gets. Sounds like a drunk local beginner. The version one week later is much better, starting with the beginning riff and the overall band playing (especially JPJ is better there).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iucKF9ly60A

The Rain Song- Smooth as butter. The rock section is keyboard heavy and lacking guitar, but done well. Good outro makes for an "A" version.

Not sure what you talking about. The guitar is out of tune here and Page is missing many notes. An "A" would be the TRSTS version of this. This is at best a "B" Version because Page is simply missing too many notes.

18 hours ago, Christopher Lees said:

What is the turkey gobbling?

A phrase I use to describe bad articulation. When Jimmy tries to play fast but his free hand doesn't match his pick hand, it sounds slightly like a "turkey gobble" due to the notes not being pronounced. Just sloppy playing.

6 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

A phrase I use to describe bad articulation. When Jimmy tries to play fast but his free hand doesn't match his pick hand, it sounds slightly like a "turkey gobble" due to the notes not being pronounced. Just sloppy playing.

I see, like the unaccompanied Heartbreaker solo in 1988 at the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary.

13 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

Are you sure you heard the right version? The version from the 4th is pretty crappy. Page 's playing is really crap and as sloppy as it gets. Sounds like a drunk local beginner. The version one week later is much better, starting with the beginning riff and the overall band playing (especially JPJ is better there).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iucKF9ly60A

The intro is a tad sticky, but everything after sounds good to me. He knocks down a solid solo with good bends and phrasing, ending nicely.

13 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

Not sure what you talking about. The guitar is out of tune here and Page is missing many notes. An "A" would be the TRSTS version of this. This is at best a "B" Version because Page is simply missing too many notes.

I listened to the Watchtower version just to make sure Winston wasn't fooling me. I don't hear anything out of tune. If you can timestamp some examples that would be great, but I don't hear anything. He even plays the outro better than he ever did in 1975.

Archived