Berkeley (Going to California)

goldenretreiver157

4 hours ago, goldenretreiver157 said:

what is the best version of the famous 'Going to California' Bootleg?

All CDs come from the original vinyl. If you have a turntable , that's the way to go. If not, Graf Zep's release will be fine, but there are many remasters out there. Godfather put out both 9/13 and 14 71, and it was a good , lower priced release . Depends on your preferences....more high, lows, natural, EQd. Etc. 

7 hours ago, duckman said:

I have a copy on the Cheap Moonchild label. Presumably a clone of Godfather. Great version and blows away my old 'GTCA' ( No Label) double disc from the mid nineties

That's probably the best option then, other than downloading it off some torrent site for free. Can't get much cheaper than Moonchild. Basically they just take torrented stuff and press some discs and put a little artwork in the tray. You could do that yourself if you have the know-how, and it doesn't take much. But if not then I suppose Moonchild is worthwhile. 

49 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

That's probably the best option then, other than downloading it off some torrent site for free. Can't get much cheaper than Moonchild. Basically they just take torrented stuff and press some discs and put a little artwork in the tray. You could do that yourself if you have the know-how, and it doesn't take much. But if not then I suppose Moonchild is worthwhile. 

Downloading a torrent is always the best option seeing as many seem to rip their CD's these days amyway, why buy a boot CD that is probably made from a torrent or copied from another CD. Now if it's vinyl you're after that's another thing, for that I'd recommend a TMOQ on coloured LP's in a rubber stamped pastel coloured sleeve . 

4 hours ago, wordev1977 said:

I honestly don’t know why anyone would pay for bootlegs when they’re available online for free and there’s a bunch of different versions available too.

I dunno, but some people like to have the artwork, either that, or they don't know and don't want to bother learning how to download and transfer files , burn CDs etc. 

I can see paying for a bootleg if the company paid for the source and no one else has it...an exclusive. But it really doesn't make much sense to pay for stuff that's been around and easily available for years online. 

Having the vinyls in this case is nice and it still sounds as good or better than most CD releases. If you're into vinyl, GTC is best on LPs. 

On CD I´d recommend Graf Zeppelin´s Going To California. It contains both nights in Berkeley, September 13 & 14 in excellent quality.

On vinyl you can try the non label release Berkeley Daze 2nd Night from 2017. It is not that expensive & has awesome sound.

R-10016796-1490198605-5594.jpeg.jpgR-10016796-1491641225-3040.jpeg.jpgR-9797259-1486470184-9895.jpeg.jpgR-9797259-1486470183-7076.jpeg.jpg

Archived