Earls Court 1975 - Best Version

Depe_

Hello everybody, as I wrote in the title I've got a question regarding the two nights recorded on videotape at the Earls Court in may 1975.

- 24 may: I've got the EV DVD with a very good and sharp image until Going To California and from Stairway To Heaven onwards; the rest of the show is just decent. EV Logo at the beginning of each song.

- 25 may: Again, the EV DVD ('Demand Unprecedented'): very nice and sharp image until Kashmir; Tangerine: awful quality; from Going To California onwards: good, a bit washed out but still very enjoyable.  EV Logo at the beginning of each song.

Then I found on YT this video, which features the first half of the 25 may show. The quality is similar to the first part of the EV DVD, but it doesn't have any logo; plus it's got a much clearer image during Tangerine. Is anybody able to point out which version does this video come from? Could it be from the bluray bootleg from Cosmic Energy?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion. And sorry if this has already been pointed out before.

Edited by Depe_
Forgot to insert a line.

• 9 months later...

^This is amazing and begs the questions.....

Are there bootleg releases for 24th and 25th that have complete 24th sound/video and complete 25th sound/video in high quality? (and/or other nights as well)

It is astounding Earl's Court has not yet been released as a stand alone Led Zeppelin official release. With a "Directors cut" compilation that is an expansion on what is available on the Led Zeppelin DVD (so a typical Page mastering/frankensteining a "best representation" show that showcases the best parts of each song over the EC run). And a SDBS edition for the more die hard fans (us lot) that has all 5 shows on CD/Vinyl in their entirety and all 3 nights (3 nights were filmed, is that right?) on DVD/Blue Ray.

Or AT LEAST to have a proper Earl's Court release that is much more complete. I still think several editions would be the way to go though - makes sense and keeps in step with recent offerings.

To have these gigs - amongst the most historically important (last England gigs, end of the first tour showcasing new Physical Graffiti tracks) on multi track with video!!! and so far only to have released a measly 6 tracks on the Led Zeppelin DVD is beyond belief.

The production here is outstanding. The video was shot was from people who knew what they were doing....
Nice complete "band" shots
JPJ gets a lot of exposure for once and at good angles
Nice shots of JPJ and Jimmy carving it up
Nice shots of Bonham enjoying himself and dropping his usual thunderous fills
Some nice moments of Jimmy strutting and jumping around.
Cracking good setlist
Great Plantations
All round great concert to watch/listen to.

I don't get it. There are some flat spots in the playing (sometimes it feels like Page and Bonham are coming to grips with not being so incredibly high and adventurous - and still reaching for those stunning passages that seemed to just flow like in Seatle, LA, etc.) but the playing is still very solid and there are certainly a LOT of incredible moments. While there are better 1975 gigs, these ones are not to be dismissed, that's for sure.

So what has been released on bootleg? Are there complete unadulterated shows in high quality for the 3 night's with video? (I think it was 3 that were filmed). If not, just what is available? I have a few bootleg examples of video - but I really don't know which are from a specific night and unaltered - or even if there are any like that.

Can anyone point to the best releases so far of specific nights that are best quality?

And can someone poke Jimmy and suggest this needs to be his next project?????

It is a damn travesty I tells ya!!!!!

cheers.

Edited by rm2551

An Earls Court release is long overdue.  I'd like to see a best of full concert video and a boxed set of audio CD's of all the full concerts.  It would be a great 50th Anniversary release but a ton of work.  If it isn't ready now it won't be happening this year.  Sadly, it's looking more and more like there won't be any live video or audio releases this year.

I believe there was a discussion earlier that had shown evidence to prove all 5 nights were filmed and most likely multitracked, but the only video and good audio we have is from the 24th and 25th. The 18th, 17th, and 23th all only have pretty bad sounding audience recordings, despite being much better performances overall imo. Hopefully we get an official Earl’s Court release (other than the small bits on LZ DVD) because I really like Tangerine from the 18th, where all four members sing the chorus in a beautiful harmony. 

If all 5 nights were filmed and multi tracked it makes no sense that only the few tracks on the Zep DVD are out there. Not even good SB's from those nights - like there are for so much of the '75 tour of the US. Makes no sense what so ever.

12 hours ago, EthanG said:

I believe there was a discussion earlier that had shown evidence to prove all 5 nights were filmed and most likely multitracked, but the only video and good audio we have is from the 24th and 25th. The 18th, 17th, and 23th all only have pretty bad sounding audience recordings, despite being much better performances overall imo. Hopefully we get an official Earl’s Court release (other than the small bits on LZ DVD) because I really like Tangerine from the 18th, where all four members sing the chorus in a beautiful harmony. 

I wouldn't call the 5/18 & 5/23 pretty bad sounding audience recordings. Especially the better recording from 5/18 is quite atmospheric. 5/23 is nicely balanced but a little overloaded at times.

Video wise, since the giant Ephidor screen needed a video feed, there 's no reason why the first two night weren't video taped. Did these reels survive?I honestly don't know. Very little footage showing the vast Earl's Court audience exists, so a longer video compilation combined with the low video resolution, would be a little tedious for casual fans. 

Edited by duckman

• 4 months later...

I have a great best of Earls Court boxed set which sounds exactly like what you guys are after.

3 CDs and a DVD taken from 24th and 25th with some editing to clean up Plant's vocals and band flubs (but done so you can not tell!) with the best performances of each song chosen and stitched together to sound like one complete show.

One of the best moments occurs during Tangerine (upgraded video) in which the backing vocals are usually inaudible on the soundboards. Here, they are full and present behind Plant's vocal.

Latest versions of video have been used to ensure the best quality possible and the sound is awesome - superb matrix versions of the audio used to ensure definition of instruments while maintaining the atmosphere in the crowd.

PM if you are interested.

• 1 month later...

Wouldn't surprise me if Plant or even Page said no due to Plant's voice being in a poor state in 75. An Earls Court video and audio release would seem a no brainer unless there were objections. I know there's quite a bit of Earls Court footage in the official DVD collection but perhaps a full-on release is considered a non-starter. Interesting that there's been no post 1973 live album officially released.

Edited by Jukkin

• 2 years later...

What is considered the best video versions of Earls Court (edited or unedited) that are currently available?  Are the EV releases still the best ones?

And  how about audio recordings?  What are the definitive (unedited) versions out there?