Original Celebration Day on TSRTS Cassette

I noticed the solo on Celebration Day from TSRTS is different or edited from how it was on tape years ago, and the cassette version was much better. I was going through some old guitar magazines and I came across a transcription of Celebration Day Live. I couldn't believe it. When reading the solo, I knew it was missing parts.

With all the remasters and reissues and all that, I'm totally lost. Can someone give me the skinny on what the deal is with this? I can't even search for it on youtube as it just returns results relate to all kinds of live Celebration Days or it just brings me the "modern" version, with the edited solo.

What gives?

In a nutshell the reissued 2007 version of TSRTS was butchered by the producer Kevin Shirley (and Page) so that amongst other things the original solo from NQ is edited as is the original second solo on CD.

Dont’t ask why...there is no sensible answer !

Yes, the original Celebration Day outro solo is on all the original, 9-track versions of the album (CD, LP, cassette, etc.).

The 2007 expanded/redone version swaps in a different outro solo on that song, taken from one of the other two nights of the band's three-night run from which the concert album audio was produced. The new 2018 remaster has the identical audio edits/content to the 2007.

One of the reasons Celebration Day could have such a major, wholesale change in its content is that most of the song doesn't appear in the original movie - so except for the very beginning of the song, Page and his collaborators have been free to do whatever they want with the audio.

And yes, the original solo is better!

On 1/13/2019 at 9:14 PM, Strider said:

You are just discovering this now? :blink:

30 years ago I noticed the CD version was different from the movie version, but what I'm discovering now is that there and even CD versions that differ.

A. The original movie version

B. The original tape version

C. This new version that I'm not sure where it came from, but the solo was transcribed in a guitar mag about 10 years ago.

In my opinion, the original cassette version of Celebration Day has by far the best solo. I'm just not sure where this other version comes from, and why guitar mag transcribed that one. Also, when I go to youtube I can't find the original tape version solo anywhere, except for this guy playing a guitar cover of the song.

On 1/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, tmtomh said:

Yes, the original Celebration Day outro solo is on all the original, 9-track versions of the album (CD, LP, cassette, etc.).

The 2007 expanded/redone version swaps in a different outro solo on that song, taken from one of the other two nights of the band's three-night run from which the concert album audio was produced. The new 2018 remaster has the identical audio edits/content to the 2007.

One of the reasons Celebration Day could have such a major, wholesale change in its content is that most of the song doesn't appear in the original movie - so except for the very beginning of the song, Page and his collaborators have been free to do whatever they want with the audio.

And yes, the original solo is better! 

Thanks for laying this out! The old solo is way better. I don't know what Jimmy was smoking when he decided to substitute the B version when the A+ version was, well, the A+ version!

Check out the Heywood (fan) remaster/version of this show. Includes all the extra tracks that were not included in the original release, but also the original uncut solos from the first LP/cassette release. I don’t listen to any other version of this show. This is by far the best and it was put together by a fan. 

I can be of assistance if you PM me. 

Neil 

The original version is amazing as It has some minor A scales inserted here and there, and because of other factors the solo

doesn't sound like any other usual "classic rock" blowout in the key of A major..Despite all the possible cutting and pasting, there are many live shows from 73' that have Jimmy playing amazing solos on CD. I like many others wonder, what the f..k

happend here ? And NQ as well. There are many fans out there who consider the originally released NQ as having possibly

Jimmy's best solo ever. And the 2nd solo to CD as one of Jimmy's most ass-kicking solos ever.

56 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

The original version is amazing as It has some minor A scales inserted here and there, and because of other factors the solo

doesn't sound like any other usual "classic rock" blowout in the key of A major..Despite all the possible cutting and pasting, there are many live shows from 73' that have Jimmy playing amazing solos on CD. I like many others wonder, what the f..k

happend here ? And NQ as well. There are many fans out there who consider the originally released NQ as having possibly

Jimmy's best solo ever. And the 2nd solo to CD as one of Jimmy's most ass-kicking solos ever.

I am one of those who think the original cassette version (the full version that is) solo on NQ is one of his very best! I haven't found another live NQ solo that's better than that one. It's so clean, dark, moody, soulful, fluid and coherent. It's so friggen powerful. What an atmosphere it helps to convey. It's full of contrasts of all different kinds too.

As far as the CD solo goes it's a terrific mix of major and minor pentatonic in A, as you said. I think the original cassette version has more balanced phrasing and the solo is built up to a more coherent climax. It' just flows so well. The one we are stuck with now seems to truncated and incomplete, and even ad hoc, if I can put it that way. The cassette version's has quite a bit of the phrasing built around the old call and response idea, and I think it makes a powerful statement.

Yeah, the best way to put the original cassette version of the live CD solo is a lot of "call and response ", but hardly the typical

Bues way. The thing is, even if Jimmy was just playing average with Zep, he knew so many  techniques and different approaches to guitar playing  that his playing was interesting no matter what. Although 77'-80' live Jimmy's declining playing 

skills were not conducive to certain things he may have played earlier.

1 hour ago, hummingbird69 said:

Could it be that Jimmy wanted to give us 3 solos for that song and the only way to do it was to alter future releases?  

That's the only thing I could come up with, but it's a shame the other solos are so mediocre while the original solo is A+ quintessential Page shredding in all its glory.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:14 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Check out the Heywood (fan) remaster/version of this show. Includes all the extra tracks that were not included in the original release, but also the original uncut solos from the first LP/cassette release. I don’t listen to any other version of this show. This is by far the best and it was put together by a fan. 

I can be of assistance if you PM me. 

Neil 

Yes, the Heywood version is fantastic and my go-to as well. He put in the proper Celebration Day solo, uses the original No Quarter with the crucial 2-1/2 minutes that were cut from the 2007 version, creates a never-before-done 18-minute version of Whole Lotta Love by adding in stuff from the DVD menus, and adds on a soundboard-sourced version of the final organ solo-Thank You encore played on the final night of the three-night run. It's fantastic.

RE the 1976 cassette and LP,  yes, they have the identical tracks and edits, as do all LP, cassette and CD versions that came out prior to the 2007 re-do. 

Archived