The space before the live decline

Blaize86

On 1/19/2019 at 6:45 AM, Blaize86 said:

Jimmy after Europe 1973 was never the same live.

I agree with the essence of your whole post, but I can make a few comments. I think Jimmy was never the same before or after Europe 1973. It was an amazing peak. I don't really see 73 as a year in which Jimmy declined, to tell you the truth. I think the last three shows at MSG are some of Jimmy's finest, on par with Europe 73. The only decline I notice in 73 was Plant and that started even in 72, but it was terribly pronounced in 73. To me, the real decline started in 1975. They had been away for 18 months and Jimmy developed some bad habits. He didn't play on par with 73 until some of his shows with Plant in 98, which shocked the heck out of me.

Regarding Jones' long piano solo in NQ 77, the only thing I didn't like was the boogie woogie section. I love boogie woogie but it doesn't fit in that solo. The contrast doesn't help and it actually ruins the mood. I think the Jones' solos from 75 are my favorites. When I was in my 20s, my brother and I would wait for a heavy thunder and lightning storm to come and we'd go out in the car, cruise around the back roads, and smoke a joint while listening to some dark, ominous sounding NQs from 75 and Jones' solos fit the mood perfectly.

I have learned to appreciate 75-80 Zeppelin over the years, but it was an acquired taste. The early years each have their definitive characteristics. Just listen to Honolulu 1970 or Filmore April 27, 1969 or any show from 71. To me, this is the Zeppelin that I think about when I hear the words Led Zeppelin.

Archived