2019 Major League Baseball Thread

Walter

8 hours ago, ebk said:

Thanks Rick.  Pretty unbelievable!! 

I am very happy they won.  I was not happy when the Dodgers lost or when they lost to Houston two years ago, them being my 2nd fav team, but i know you go to the games and are a real fan of theirs.  Its great to see this story.  its incredible that all 7 games were won on the road.  I feel bad for those Washington fans that paid a ton of money for tickets only to go home unhappy.  But in the end its just incredible.  I'll bet when they left Washington down 3-2 many of them must have felt it was quite a hurdle to overcome and with Verlander coming.  it likely did not help Houston having to use Cole in game 7 vs the Yankees?  I wish it was the Orioles we were talking about, maybe one day again?  I hear Buck  Showalter is being considered for a job?  I was not sure he would want to return.  I wonder where he is living?   Congrats again.

I am happy the National League team won. Weird that every game was won by the road team. First time that has happened in a seven-game series in any sport ever...MLB, NBA, and NHL.

Best thing about this World Series? No Marlins Man.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Why is this fucking thread still on page 1 in November?  Its either a sign of inactivity on the site, and lame ass topics or both.   And I just bumped it to the top.  Bury this fucker

Don't be so hasty Rick.  It's awards season! 

Or something... 

21 hours ago, Walter said:

6BEB9165-A011-4A23-8518-446E7EC157CA.jpeg

Well since I found you here, Ill just say, funny how Walter JR is picking Detroit?  What is up with that?  The brainwashing failed?  LOL.  So he is rebelling against your boys?  Or is it simply to cover all the possible outcomes?  I rather doubt that.  And the LA Lambs has to go.  You will see what Lambs they are when they take Dallas apart again. Go Bills

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well since I found you here, Ill just say, funny how Walter JR is picking Detroit?  What is up with that?  The brainwashing failed?  LOL.  So he is rebelling against your boys?  Or is it simply to cover all the possible outcomes?  I rather doubt that.  And the LA Lambs has to go.  You will see what Lambs they are when they take Dallas apart again. Go Bills

He’s a Seattle fan, if you haven’t been paying attention all these years. 

The awards go to...

NL CY YOUNG -Jacob deGrom

AL CY YOUNG - Justin Verlander

NL MVP - Cody Bellinger

AL MVP - Mike Trout

Thoughts?

Kind of thought they might split the AL Cy Young between Verlander and Cole. Both were so instrumental to Houston.

Cody Bellinger's continuing playoff flops makes it hard to take him seriously as a MVP type player.

Same thing with Mike Trout. Yeah, the Angels would have missed the playoffs without Mike Trout. Oh wait...they did miss the playoffs. In fact, they have been in the cellar or near the cellar in their division for most of his career.

I miss the days when players like Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench won MVP. Players that took their teams somewhere.

On 11/17/2019 at 2:11 PM, Walter said:

He’s a Seattle fan, if you haven’t been paying attention all these years. 

I did not realize.  Russel Wilson and Lamar Jackson are both some players.  My only fear, as with Allen, is running is always trouble for QBs.  That was some game and I had my money on Seattle.  At SF.  The Bills are 7-3!!!  Best record in 20 years.  And they are starting to gel.  I also expect the Rams to get it going when Woods returns.

On 11/18/2019 at 8:50 PM, ebk said:

Got my Os season ticket renewal notice today.  Woohoo!

I wish I could share your enthusiasm EBK.  Does it not depress you to see a team so close, the Nats, as World Series Champions after how many rebuilds by our Orioles?  I mean, the owner SUCKS.  I respect the new manager Hyde and his approach. And I believe they will get better.  But the thieving Yankees are going to try and steal anyone we bring up.  After the Machado thing I am just disgusted with the sport.  Same with football's officiating.  Ill watch and hope for the best.  But the other day I was thinking about the time Brooks Robinson was coming up here to play a few innings vs the then minor league affiliate Rochester Red Wings.  I hate the Red Wings now. Farm team of the Twins.  I want no part of it.   I miss the days of having great teams we had with Robinson's, McNally, Palmer and Bobby Grich and even Terry Crowley, one of my all time favorites.  I hate what free agency has done to sports.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-needed-more-than-a-decade-but-they-finally-landed-gerrit-cole-brian-cashmans-white-whale/

Yeah, the greedy bastards have signed Cole for 9 years and like $369 million dollars!  Making them the favorites to win the Series.   Scum bags of sports.  Ruin sports.  

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-needed-more-than-a-decade-but-they-finally-landed-gerrit-cole-brian-cashmans-white-whale/

Yeah, the greedy bastards have signed Cole for 9 years and like $369 million dollars!  Making them the favorites to win the Series.   Scum bags of sports.  Ruin sports.  

I'm seeing it's a 324 million contract.  Get your facts straight! :P 

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

How'd that BIG contract work out for the Angels? Let's not size the Yankees' fingers for rings yet.

Of course, the Angels were supposedly targeting Cole this offseason so there goes that plan. And Strasbourg has resigned with the Nats. Not much out there to help improve Angels pitching.

25 minutes ago, Walter said:

I'm seeing it's a 324 million contract.  Get your facts straight! :P 

Its just a round off number.  What can you do with 369 that you cant do with 324.  You get the idea.  OVERPAID.    And once again, robbery by the Yankees.  I find it strange that you are a fan of Yankees, Cowboys, ,Blues and who is your NBA team?  3 Cities no where near each other.  And you live where?  The Blues break up the greed part of it

1 minute ago, Strider said:

How'd that BIG contract work out for the Angels? Let's not size the Yankees' fingers for rings yet.

Of course, the Angels were supposedly targeting Cole this offseason so there goes that plan. And Strasbourg has resigned with the Nats. Not much out there to help improve Angels pitching.

A shut down pitcher is worth more than a star outfielder in many ways.  The structure of the game.  I hope they lose of course.  And injuries can occur.  They are just the greedy Yankees throwing their money around. I have no respect for this guy for going there

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Its just a round off number.  What can you do with 369 that you cant do with 324.  You get the idea.  OVERPAID.    And once again, robbery by the Yankees.  I find it strange that you are a fan of Yankees, Cowboys, ,Blues and who is your NBA team?  3 Cities no where near each other.  And you live where?  The Blues break up the greed part of it

I’m not a fan of the Blues.  I’ve been a fan of both since before you saw Zeppelin. 

PAYING 324 million is hardly robbing anyone...maybe your O’s could pony up some $ to be competitive or just remain a glorified AAA team, for their fans? 

Some people actually leave upstate NY, Rick. But not you, apparently. 

Edited by Walter

30 minutes ago, Walter said:

I’m not a fan of the Blues.  I’ve been a fan of both since before you saw Zeppelin. 

PAYING 324 million is hardly robbing anyone...maybe your O’s could pony up some $ to be competitive or just remain a glorified AAA team, for their fans? 

Some people actually leave upstate NY, Rick. But not you, apparently. 

So you left here years ago?  I do not know the story.  But I do  not blame anyone for leaving. Its just not easy.  I would leave in a minute if I could.  But daughters and things like that and a wife stop one from  doing it.  And some other matters I have to deal with.  I am loyal to the Bills and Sabres and my 2nd favorite teams are the Rams and Blues.  Have been for ages.  The Orioles are my team, as they were the parent team of Rochester and I watched many play here including Brooks Robinson, Cal Ripken, Bobby Grich and so forth.  I lived in LA when I was a young kid.  Did not live in St Louis though. I will always hate the Yankees and what they stand for. Dallas I really do not hate. I do not care for them but I don not hate them like Miami or NE or even Pittsburgh.  I guess the Yankees are the favorites.  I am a bit shocked Gregorius is gone?  Did he just opt out for money?  I forget where he landed .  Saw the article briefly.  Baseball has gone to hell with contracts like this. Cole, Harper and such.  Harper did not even get the Phillies to the playoffs.  But an ace pitcher is a bigger difference maker. Nothing is a lock in sports.  Not Lebron either.