Glasgow 12/3/72 - New Recording

ZepHead315

It looks as though a recording of this show has surfaced and may soon circulate:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/glasgowapollo/permalink/10155971154846472/

Look what has turned up at Rescued Recordings From The Glasgow Apollo! Led Zeppelin's first night at Greens playhouse, and the Who's Gig at Celtic Park in 1976! Both shows not out there in bootleg form at all!! Only way to hear them or get them is to Join Rescued Recordings. Get in touch with me if you want to join us!

According to this Facebook group, the recording is 150 minutes long, ends with Thank You, and the sound quality is described as being a 7/10. It looks like it may be a while before the recording is put out based on their latest post:

Sadly all the Apollo recordings that Robert Paul Grant sent me had skips on all the recordings apart from the Jonesy one! That includes Led Zep, Humble Pie, and the Groundhog gigs! So Robert is recording them on to disc again from tape. I will then have to put them onto audio disc again, and send them to Phil Osborne to be sorted. So we are starting all over again folks! So it will be a while for these recordings to appear, but will let you all know when they are available!

If this is indeed true and the recording is from the December 3rd show, that means we may soon have a circulating tape of a show that has never been heard before. Really looking forward to this.

11 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

If this is indeed true and the recording is from the December 3rd show, that means we may soon have a circulating tape of a show that has never been heard before. Really looking forward to this. 

I was just asking when the last time was that a new recording came out. This is exciting!

The 4th is one of my favorite shows, so IF this is true it will be truly great news.  However, personally I'll believe it when I see/hear it.  Didn't someone claim two years ago to have the first night from Copenhagen '71 (another "rarities" show)?

20 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

The 4th is one of my favorite shows, so IF this is true it will be truly great news.  However, personally I'll believe it when I see/hear it.  Didn't someone claim two years ago to have the first night from Copenhagen '71 (another "rarities" show)?

Yeah, what ever happened to that? There was that photo of the CDR with the track list on it, with Gallows Pole, etc... Pffffft    As far as this one, yeah, put up or shut up, right?

On 1/26/2019 at 5:46 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

23 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Yeah, what ever happened to that? There was that photo of the CDR with the track list on it, with Gallows Pole, etc... Pffffft    As far as this one, yeah, put up or shut up, right?

IIRC, the person(s) who possess the Copenhagen tape said that they did not want to distribute it. Doesn't really make much sense to me. Why tease people with something like that, only to then say "too bad! I'm keeping it for myself!"? Seems pretty immature and snobbish to me.

FWIW, the Facebook group has posted another update:

Robert Grant has kindly done the Led Zeppelin, Humble Pie, The Groundhogs etc, and i received them yesterday! i now have to listen to them all before i put them on audio disc for Phil Osborne to sort. So it really starting all over again folks! So be patient people! Any news will be on this page!

5 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

IIRC, the person(s) who possess the Copenhagen tape said that they did not want to distribute it. Doesn't really make much sense to me. Why tease people with something like that, only to then say "too bad! I'm keeping it for myself!"? Seems pretty immature and snobbish to me.

FWIW, the Facebook group has posted another update:

Right, the new Copenhagen '71 tape was most likely a hoax, they didn't have it but wanted to be a prick and get people worked up.  Hopefully this is not also a prank.  

On 1/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Right, the new Copenhagen '71 tape was most likely a hoax, they didn't have it but wanted to be a prick and get people worked up.  Hopefully this is not also a prank.  

Sorry brother I'm not following, I only know of the 5/3 performance in Copenhagen? Was there one before that?

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:08 PM, Jason Khavari said:

Sorry brother I'm not following, I only know of the 5/3 performance in Copenhagen? Was there one before that?

My memory was hazy, it was a second Danish show after the famous Copenhagen show, but in Odense (as already noted), supposedly with a similar, non-standard setlist.  A bootleg was claimed to exist, it's almost certainly a hoax.

Another update on the recording:

About the new shows folks! The following shows have been sent to Phil Osborne yesterday to be worked on, so should be available soon! :) Apart from these and the Jonesy show from 1973, all the 1972 recordings are not great quality, and are only for die hard fans of the band! Robert Grant told he he recorded the 1972 shows with just a tape recorder. In 1973 he also used a mic, and why the 1973 recordings are better! The Led Zeppelin is the best of the 1972 recordings, and for a strange reason is up there with the 1973 recordings! Not even looked at the Gentle Giant and Stray gig from the City Halls yet. That will come later. All the 1973 recordings will go on as downloads as soon as they are sorted! Till then folks it's a waiting game that is worth waiting for!

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, ZepHead315 said:

The show has just been made available for download. PM me for the link.

For what it's worth, I just checked Plant's banter prior to Misty Mountain Hop and can confirm that this is NOT the December 4th show. 

He mentions "Scottish citizens" after OTHAFA, so this seems legit, it's definitely not the 4th.  A bit surprised this isn't garnering more attention, this appears to be an unreleased late '72 show, this is a much bigger deal than the 9-29 soundboard.  It's an outstanding performance too, Page and Bonham are a machine, some superb playing (hints of the '73 American tour).  Nice, clear audience recording too.  It's great to be surprised that such tapes still exist out there.

11 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

He mentions "Scottish citizens" after OTHAFA, so this seems legit, it's definitely not the 4th.  A bit surprised this isn't garnering more attention, this appears to be an unreleased late '72 show, this is a much bigger deal than the 9-29 soundboard.  It's an outstanding performance too, Page and Bonham are a machine, some superb playing (hints of the '73 American tour).  Nice, clear audience recording too.  It's great to be surprised that such tapes still exist out there.

While the 50th anniversary has been a disappointment so far on the official front, I have to say that so far, things have been great on the bootleg front. In just the past 18 months or so, we've gotten the Seattle 75 soundboard, roughly half of the 9/29 Osaka show in soundboard form, brand new never before heard alternate recordings of 4/28/77 and 6/21/77 and now this. This has been a very exciting time and I'm thrilled that I've gotten to experience this stuff as it happens!

10 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I’m out of my mind over this new found treasure......and I can’t wait to get my hands/ears on it. I’ll take anything from ‘72......anything!!!!  I’m sorry to say...but I’m a slight bit tired of 75/77 sb’s.

Dec 3rd is also the night written about in the book “Suzy, Led Zeppelin,and Me”....a fun read.

Thank you to whoever brought this show to us. Cheers.

This is really cool! Thanks again for the link. Even though Plant's voice wasn't as strong as the first half of '72 his voice here sounds stronger than it was in Japan. Page is really good here too. Imagine if Plant didn't get that flu in the beginning of '73 and got strong like in these shows later in '72? I hope that show from May 4th 1971 isn't a hoax and comes out within the year.

16 minutes ago, Gratefulzepp said:

This is really cool! Thanks again for the link. Even though Plant's voice wasn't as strong as the first half of '72 his voice here sounds stronger than it was in Japan. Page is really good here too. Imagine if Plant didn't get that flu in the beginning of '73 and got strong like in these shows later in '72? I hope that show from May 4th 1971 isn't a hoax and comes out within the year.

Agreed. Plants voice here is strong ....just like the following night. So many highlights to this show. TSRTS is amazing....as is the Stairway solo....and the Crunge  during Dazed. The Since solo is also tight.Then there are the encores!

This show will be on repeat for the next week.

Probably the most interesting rock and roll from john bonham. This era to me seems to represent the page plant aspect to zeppelin the best. Great energy, all positive energy leading to the 50s rock segment...then immigrant song towards the end of the show, interesting and strange. Definitely cool to hear. 

Archived