Glasgow 12/3/72 - New Recording

ZepHead315

On 2/18/2019 at 12:38 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

I think the people calling this a bad recording need some bootleg ears. It's pretty good for an audience source with only a slight tape hiss. The sound is fairly balanced and there are no constant EQ fluctuations, which can kill a boot for me. Just picture yourself a few rows back and it's like you're right there. 

When I posted this show on Reddit, someone actually said that they had listened to and owned many boots and this was the worst one they had ever heard, which was just mind-boggling to me. Unless they got incredibly lucky with the boots they heard all being exceptional sounding, I just can't see anyone proclaiming that. Like you said, a bit of hiss and it could use a little more top end, but all in all, this is a solid, well above average recording. And as SteveZ98's remaster shows, one can easily make it sound better. To each their own I guess, but statements like that make no sense to me.

35 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

When I posted this show on Reddit, someone actually said that they had listened to and owned many boots and this was the worst one they had ever heard, which was just mind-boggling to me. Unless they got incredibly lucky with the boots they heard all being exceptional sounding, I just can't see anyone proclaiming that. Like you said, a bit of hiss and it could use a little more top end, but all in all, this is a solid, well above average recording. And as SteveZ98's remaster shows, one can easily make it sound better. To each their own I guess, but statements like that make no sense to me.

LOL, they must have only been listening to soundboards.  

On 2/18/2019 at 11:25 AM, JTM said:

They didn't but Page could have done (screw EV). This Glasgow Green was nice to here so thanks to the taper for finally getting it out. I've listened to it twice (ish), it's a B minus mono audience. I'm done with it now, I'll most likely delete it rom my HD, I don't think it's good enough for a CDR.

It doe's sound to me either the left or right mikes was popped or completely clipped out due to Bonham's come in, thus it being put down to a mono recording, shame but a good performance but Bonham could blow anybody out couldn't he.

I think it would benefit from a Winston remaster.. 😉

58 minutes ago, Boogie Mama said:

It doe's sound to me either the left or right mikes was popped or completely clipped out due to Bonham's come in, thus it being put down to a mono recording, shame but a good performance but Bonham could blow anybody out couldn't he.

I read on another site that what you described was what happened. The right channel was unusable so they took the left one and copied it to the right channel, creating a mono recording. Also, there are a couple of remasters already. I did one, which I can send you a link to if you want. There's a sample of it earlier in this thread so you can tell if it's to your liking before you download it. Also, dadgad apparently did one as well. No word so far on Winston, although he stops by here occasionally so maybe he'll let us know if he does one.

2 hours ago, Boogie Mama said:

It's a one mic mono recording, the bad channel was from the transfer to a stereo deck.

10 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I read on another site that what you described was what happened. The right channel was unusable so they took the left one and copied it to the right channel, creating a mono recording. Also, there are a couple of remasters already. I did one, which I can send you a link to if you want. There's a sample of it earlier in this thread so you can tell if it's to your liking before you download it. Also, dadgad apparently did one as well. No word so far on Winston, although he stops by here occasionally so maybe he'll let us know if he does one.

That was not me. that's just my guess. it just sound's clipped out when John come's in, it definitely has some effect on the mike since the start is louder. but if it's the stereo transfer, it might be that.

After that i have no more interest in it, there's to many better recording's i could follow, life's short' thank's for the thought anyway.

9 minutes ago, chef free said:

Wow! this sounds great to me!

Agreed. I think if this came out before Empress Valley started putting out their soundboards, it would be getting a lot more positive attention. It's a clear, consistent recording of a really good show with a unique performance of Mona thrown in for good measure. I'm glad it's out, and people are still putting the effort into finding these things decades after the shows took place. Thanks to all involved in tracking this down and making it public.

3 cd: $ 33.-

5 cd: $ 108.- (limited version - 100 copies)

Both dates never before released through EVSD. Graf Zeppelin just released the 12-03 show and - according to http://www.argenteumastrum.com - there are releases of the 12-04 show by TDOLZ and Beelzebub Records.

Pop Gets Tied Up - 3cd.jpg

Pop Gets Tied Up - 5cd.jpg

Archived