Glasgow 12/3/72 - New Recording

ZepHead315

1 hour ago, therocker68 said:

Hello, have listened to the new Glasgow gig and it is a killer. Needs a bit of cleaning up but hopefully one of the bootleg labels will get hold of it and sort that out, put some nice packaging on it as well. Let's hope Empress Valley get the job. Has anyone else heard it yet?

Let's hope they don't, as far as I know distribution was meant to be  a download via a PM but somebody took it on themselves to break the trust of the taper and put it up on some of the well known boot torrent sites. Now the opportunity has arisen for the likes of EV to release it for monetary gain, a real kick in the teeth for the taper. But hey it's happened hundreds of times so what's new.

3 hours ago, JTM said:

Let's hope they don't, as far as I know distribution was meant to be  a download via a PM but somebody took it on themselves to break the trust of the taper and put it up on some of the well known boot torrent sites. Now the opportunity has arisen for the likes of EV to release it for monetary gain, a real kick in the teeth for the taper. But hey it's happened hundreds of times so what's new.

Exactly. 

I hope EV does release this show, and soon, so they can gobble up all that precious money from the silver-buying fans who want the packaging. This is what helps fund the release of more soundboard tapes for the masses.

Us fans have already got the Glasgow tape, from the original transfer. So, no harm to us. Whereas, EV is the only source for all of those unreleased soundboards. So, why on earth would anyone have a problem with them doing what they’ve always done? 

Bring on Long Beach 75, the rest of Osaka 71, and whatever else they have stored away. 

Dang, did not expect to be listening to this right now. I'm used to hearing of upcoming releases 2 years in advanced. At least someone took it upon themselves to deliver a 50th anniversary release. I highly doubt Page or Empress Valley could have came up with a better release.

4 hours ago, nick2632 said:

Dang, did not expect to be listening to this right now. I'm used to hearing of upcoming releases 2 years in advanced. At least someone took it upon themselves to deliver a 50th anniversary release. I highly doubt Page or Empress Valley could have came up with a better release.

They didn't but Page could have done (screw EV). This Glasgow Green was nice to here so thanks to the taper for finally getting it out. I've listened to it twice (ish), it's a B minus mono audience. I'm done with it now, I'll most likely delete it rom my HD, I don't think it's good enough for a CDR.

7 minutes ago, therocker68 said:

I know the new Glasgow tape is a bit rough but hopefully Empress Valley should release a cleaned up version in a month or so then you download it again and burn it to CDR.

Not a chance, no amount of clean up could make this tape worthy for me.

17 minutes ago, therocker68 said:

I know the new Glasgow tape is a bit rough but hopefully Empress Valley should release a cleaned up version in a month or so then you download it again and burn it to CDR.

I don't know if EV will clean it up, but I did. Here's a sample. If anyone wants the full show, send me a message:

It is interesting how this tape sheds light on a comment in the new Dave Lewis book.  On page 347 he reports of a fan letter to the paper saying that Zeppelin did not come back for an encore on Dec 4.  Lewis says this was probably about Dec 3 since he notes that they played Heartbreaker after WLL on Dec 4.  Indeed that is where the Dec 4 tape apparently ends, just after a few moments of the crowd chanting "we want more!"

Now in this new Dec 3 tape we hear the crowd for about 5 minutes after WLL, before Immigrant Song (great fan scream as Immigrant starts).  Then after Immigrant Song and Heartbreaker the crowd is chanting "we want more!" for about 5 minutes followed by about 3 more minutes of cheering and "Zeppelin!" chants.  Finally the drums come back followed by the organ solo into Thank You.

So it is possible that the fan letter was indeed about Dec 4.  I have not heard any version of Dec 4 that goes much beyond the end of Heartbreaker. 

51 minutes ago, drpete said:

Am grateful for any new tapes and concerts that are discovered. Always adds new insight such as MONA being played

The MONA section is my favorite part of this show. I love how Jimmy just went into it and the rest of the band picked up on it and turned it into a two minute song. i have to imagine it surprised them a bit, given it's not typically what Jimmy would play after his Heartbreaker solo, but they went with it like it was planned all along.

I think the people calling this a bad recording need some bootleg ears. It's pretty good for an audience source with only a slight tape hiss. The sound is fairly balanced and there are no constant EQ fluctuations, which can kill a boot for me. Just picture yourself a few rows back and it's like you're right there. 

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I think the people calling this a bad recording need some bootleg ears. It's pretty good for an audience source with only a slight tape hiss. The sound is fairly balanced and there are no constant EQ fluctuations, which can kill a boot for me. Just picture yourself a few rows back and it's like you're right there. 

Completely agree, I find this recording very listenable and clear.

Archived