New books arrived

pageluvva

Forgive me if this topic has been posted to death (new here) but I just received these 2 KILLER books. They are Zep gold mines. So far from what I have seen the guitar tab one is the most authentic one I have ever seen. Today I might tackle the JPJ solo to All of My Love on the guitar. 

And the Songs Stories book is mind-blowing. I love the "In Your Headphones" fact for every tune, ex; I never noticed Plant's tiny laugh at 1:46 of You Shook Me. As a Zep fanatic I live for that stuff. 

Zep day in my house today. But then again it is everyday! 😜  Cheers from Montreal. 

IMG_8058.JPG

Cool. Now you just need "Evenings With Led Zeppelin" by Mike Tremaglio and Dave Lewis and you've got all of the bases covered. It's the definitive guide to their live career. Disclaimer: I've known Mike for about 20 years, so don't just take my word for it. Check out the reviews online to see the praise others have heaped on it.

51Wk4R2hDcL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

3 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

Cool. Now you just need "Evenings With Led Zeppelin" by Mike Tremaglio and Dave Lewis and you've got all of the bases covered. It's the definitive guide to their live career. Disclaimer: I've known Mike for about 20 years, so don't just take my word for it. Check out the reviews online to see the praise others have heaped on it.

I think this is better than LZ x LZ. . A must have for anyone who loves the live stuff:)

58 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

I think this is better than LZ x LZ. . A must have for anyone who loves the live stuff:)

It is definitely a must have for anyone who loves the live stuff. It's basically all the facts you could ever hope for regarding Zep's concerts, along with thousands of images related to the gigs. It's just an amazing book, and would be a great complement to the other two that pageluvva already picked up.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

The Photographer's Led Zeppelin is still the best photo book in my opinion. Definitely worth the eBay price of around $300.

I have to disagree on both points. Live Dreams by Lawrence Ratner is vastly superior. I paid $125 for my copy of the Photographer's Led Zeppelin and felt ripped off afterward. 

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I have to disagree on both points. Live Dreams by Lawrence Ratner is vastly superior. I paid $125 for my copy of the Photographer's Led Zeppelin and felt ripped off afterward. 

How so? Live Dreams is more generic than LZ by LZ and that tacky cover almost ruins it. TPLZ has much more content plus hand colored black and white photos which makes it unique. The packaging is also better. There's a reason it only goes for $30. I think Neal Preston's books are better than Live Dreams.

On 1/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, pageluvva said:

Forgive me if this topic has been posted to death (new here) but I just received these 2 KILLER books. They are Zep gold mines. So far from what I have seen the guitar tab one is the most authentic one I have ever seen. Today I might tackle the JPJ solo to All of My Love on the guitar. 

And the Songs Stories book is mind-blowing. I love the "In Your Headphones" fact for every tune, ex; I never noticed Plant's tiny laugh at 1:46 of You Shook Me. As a Zep fanatic I live for that stuff. 

Zep day in my house today. But then again it is everyday! 😜  Cheers from Montreal. 

IMG_8058.JPG

I just recently acquired both of this books as well, and I agree, they are fantastic. The transcription book is very good. It does use some transcriptions that have already been published (and some mistakes have been reprinted here, like an incorrect tab in the Dazed and Confused solo, for instance) before, but it also seems to have some original work as well. There's a lick in I Can't Quit You Baby that other sources don't have transcribed correctly. I've slowed down the recording and transcribed it myself, adding it to my Led Zeppelin secret notebook of correct tabs lol, and I was so happy to see that this book had it right.

The other book, "All the Songs", is a must read for any Zeppelin fanatic. It digs into everything anyone would want to know about each song, including where it was recorded, what gear was used on the recording, inspiration for the song and so on. Fantastic.

On 1/27/2019 at 5:56 PM, SteveZ98 said:

Thanks Steve. It is ordered as I speak. 

I got my book yesterday at work. Led Zeppelin All the Songs. WOW. What a tome! It is much bigger than I expected and flicking through I already see a great pic I have not seen before of Peter Grant with a banjo with John Paul Jones. There are tabbed years, and fun notes added throughout. I had no expectations with this and it turns out to be what looks like a "bible" of sorts of ALL of Zeps songs and studio sessions. Stories, notes, and an excploration of references and inspirations. Its huge at just over 600 pages.

It should keep me busy for years at my pace!. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Though very informative, "All The Songs" seems to be littered with mistakes and assumptions. They took the lyric of "Hey hey mama" from Black Country Woman to literally mean someone's mother. That was very surprising. Then there's some misattributed pics, like this-

IMG_20190217_193134757.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:35 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Though very informative, "All The Songs" seems to be littered with mistakes and assumptions. They took the lyric of "Hey hey mama" from Black Country Woman to literally mean someone's mother. That was very surprising. Then there's some misattributed pics, like this-

Only to expected for something most likely unofficial and unauthorised.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 7:35 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Wait, it's not perfect, nah come on.........

Archived