The Super Bowl Thread

Strider

So the Patriots are WORLD champions! How does that work?

Two calls that stood out during the game that were confusing and momentum killers that definitely favoured NE.

That tackle where the Rams player was penalised for being too rough or some other asinine reason.

With all the protection they wear and obvious fitness, players should be able to take a hit like that.

They are men aren't they?.

Conversely, a Rams player was coathangered while the Patriots player escaped being penalised because he (the Ram), was deemed to be in the field of play, when clearly he was over the sideline.

Why should that make any difference? A cheap head shot is a cheap shot every day of the week whether it's on or off the field. 

The way singers perform National Anthems nowadays is appalling , vocal histrionics are a poor substitute for singing with feeling and pride in your country. They do the same here at sporting events.

Maroon 5, mediocre at best and definitely not a stadium act. Commercials!? 

Still, it was a tough defensive game that went right down to the wire.

Boring? You've got the GOAT and his posse playing in the spotlight game of the year and being held to 6 points, 2 field goals through the first 45 minutes of play. Something interesting was happening. This rare treat, watching the GOAT being reduced to a mortal, throwing errant passes, using poor judgement, having to flee a collapsing pocket, and picking himself up after being knocked around by a premier pass rush, was for many, to be savored regardless of the final score. Had Goff played any better, had Gurley been able, and/or had the Rams bothered to bring an o-line, the GOAT may not have survived throwing an interception and leading his team to settling for a missed field. Hell, the GOAT was only in the red zone one more time than the Rams were. Didn't take much to be the GOAT yesterday. Considering the state of the Rams, the GOAT was in a position to make a crushing, definitive statement. Yet, he didn't.

Or did he? Maybe the GOAT's definitive statement is, "I'll do enough to get by". Sounds more like a slogan for welfare recipients than it does for The Greatest Of All Time. Oh well, can't argue with 6 rings.

2 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

That tackle where the Rams player was penalised for being too rough or some other asinine reason.

Conversely, a Rams player was coathangered while the Patriots player escaped being penalised because he (the Ram), was deemed to be in the field of play, when clearly he was over the sideline.

Why should that make any difference? A cheap head shot is a cheap shot every day of the week whether it's on or off the field. 

That's the current state of NFL officiating. Despite instant replay with multiple angles and mega zoom, calls are subjective, random, often wrong and can cost a team a win. Just ask the Saints 

3 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

So the Patriots are WORLD champions! How does that work?

Two calls that stood out during the game that were confusing and momentum killers that definitely favoured NE.

With all the protection they wear and obvious fitness, players should be able to take a hit like that.

They are men aren't they?.

The way singers perform National Anthems nowadays is appalling , vocal histrionics are a poor substitute for singing with feeling and pride in your country. They do the same here at sporting events.

Maroon 5, mediocre at best and definitely not a stadium act. Commercials!? 

Still, it was a tough defensive game that went right down to the wire.

Hey Reggie glad to see you watched it.

The Patriots are Super Bowl Champions. “World” is not anywhere in the title ..

It was a great defensive game on both sides.. Absolutely 

The Refs for the most part put the whistles away. It was apparent pretty early on in the game that they were going to let both teams play.. I think they let a lot go on both sides. I was kind of surprised the clothesline hit wasn’t called, but I guess it was legal. It was a very physical game.. 

But of course,  we’re going to hear how the Patriots cheat and Robert Kraft must have paid off the Refs and all of the usual crap..

The NFL does not want one team dominating for years like New England has been. People were trying to throw dirt on their grave after they went 11-5. 11-5 is considered a disappointing season in The Patriots camp... it’s unreal. 

People are calling it a boring game, but my heart was pounding through most of it. 

Julien Edelman more than deserved MVP.   

Maroon 5 were very generic and safe... but at least they were really playing. Looked it to me anyway...Their drummer is good. Pretty bland all around though. 

I agree with you that showboating on The National Anthem is appalling. I didn’t think Gladys Knight did though. She did hold Freeeeeeeeeeee a little too long.  But other than that, I thought she sounded great as did the 2 sisters who sang America The Beautiful. 

15 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

What was with all the "first responder" commercials? Are fire departments marketing themselves now? Do they have a new album out or something?

Exactly. Maybe their streaming their new single on Spotify. Wouldn’t surprise me.

The largest audience in the world and no one can come up with clever advertising anymore???  Sad indeed. 

R😎

2 hours ago, the chase said:

I agree with you that showboating on The National Anthem is appalling. I didn’t think Gladys Knight did though. She did hold Freeeeeeeeeeee a little too long.  

I believe she was holding notes towards the end to ensure the fly over would arrive right on time. May have been listening for the roar of the jets.

Just now, SteveAJones said:

I believe she was holding notes towards the end to ensure the fly over would arrive right on time. May have been listening for the roar of the jets.

Thanks Steve. It seemed a little odd,  but that makes perfect sense 

It is so much fun taking money from bandwagon Lamb lovers.

I could see where the casual or non-football watcher felt the Super Bowl was boring. Many feel excitement only comes with points and don't appreciate a defensive struggle. I was tense and engrossed the entire game.

I can easily think of at least two Super Bowls that were more boring than SB LIII. 1972's Super Bowl VI between Dallas and Miami was a snoozer, the outcome never in doubt as Dallas ran over the fish 24-3. Another predictable snoozer was 2007's SB XLI in the rain between Indianapolis' Peyton Manning and one of the worst quarterbacks to play in a Super Bowl, Chicago's Rex Grossman. Both of those games were yawn-fests and there was nothing of historical value riding on the game.

Unlike this year's Super Bowl, which had Brady and Belichick going for a record 6th Super Bowl win. The game was tense and tied going into the fourth quarter, and there remained the sense that if the Rams could just get untracked and connect deep just once, that they would take the lead. New England saved their best defensive game for the end. 

I would say Gurley pulled a Thurman Thomas but at least Thomas ran for 135 yards in his first Super Bowl. Gurley was a no-show in both the NFC Championship and the Super Bowl. He had to be hurt for the Rams not to use him.

I think I will take $100 from my winnings and put it on the Patriots for next year...I think odds are 6-1 or 8-1.

And stop picking on Gladys Knight. She did a terrific job singing the "Star Spangled Banner". There were no histrionics and melismas as in past renditions.

13 hours ago, Strider said:

It is so much fun taking money from bandwagon Lamb lovers.

I could see where the casual or non-football watcher felt the Super Bowl was boring. Many feel excitement only comes with points and don't appreciate a defensive struggle. I was tense and engrossed the entire game.

I can easily think of at least two Super Bowls that were more boring than SB LIII. 1972's Super Bowl VI between Dallas and Miami was a snoozer, the outcome never in doubt as Dallas ran over the fish 24-3. Another predictable snoozer was 2007's SB XLI in the rain between Indianapolis' Peyton Manning and one of the worst quarterbacks to play in a Super Bowl, Chicago's Rex Grossman. Both of those games were yawn-fests and there was nothing of historical value riding on the game.

Unlike this year's Super Bowl, which had Brady and Belichick going for a record 6th Super Bowl win. The game was tense and tied going into the fourth quarter, and there remained the sense that if the Rams could just get untracked and connect deep just once, that they would take the lead. New England saved their best defensive game for the end. 

I would say Gurley pulled a Thurman Thomas but at least Thomas ran for 135 yards in his first Super Bowl. Gurley was a no-show in both the NFC Championship and the Super Bowl. He had to be hurt for the Rams not to use him.

I think I will take $100 from my winnings and put it on the Patriots for next year...I think odds are 6-1 or 8-1.

And stop picking on Gladys Knight. She did a terrific job singing the "Star Spangled Banner". There were no histrionics and melismas as in past renditions.

Gladys was AWESOME!!!, right?    She's 74 years old and her voice sounded clean, strong and beautiful. What a set of pipes. If anyone had a problem with that performance then I don't know what to tell ya.

Archived