Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
gibsonfan159

John Morello Drum Solo Analysis

Ahhhhh, that's good . . . having never heard that before I can easily see why Bonham was influenced by this guy, not to mention played this same groove during many 1973 Moby Dick solos. Thanks for the share.

Just want to add, he played and copied that because it was a powerful groove, at the start of the 7:45 mark of the '73 MSG solo, it sounds very similar to me, which has always been my favorite Moby Dick segment/groove!  Check it out

Edited by Tainted cheese

On 2/9/2019 at 9:44 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Very good breakdown. Joe could play a mean left hand one handed single, like Buddy Rich, and you can see some of that in the clip. Thanks for posting.  FYI, the title of thread should be Joe Morello, not John. 😏

4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

FYI, the title of thread should be Joe Morello, not John.

Never even noticed. I blame spell check.

4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Never even noticed. I blame spell check.

😊 Yeah that often happens to me.

One of my faves. I can play that opening beat at 160 bpm, but didn't know where to go after that. 🙄

On 2/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, Tainted cheese said:

Just want to add, he played and copied that because it was a powerful groove, at the start of the 7:45 mark of the '73 MSG solo, it sounds very similar to me, which has always been my favorite Moby Dick segment/groove!  Check it out

When you hear rolling thunder then you know that John Henry is just passing over. :)