Seattle 1977 Video with Remastered Sound

SteveZ98

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

What is the "sleeping sickness" that is referred to after Sick Again in Seattle? (yes, I'm serious)

The first few songs Pagey seems to deliver quite nicely.

There's another thread on the site about this show. In it, a person speculates 

I will say it takes Jimmy Page a few numbers to warm up-hence Rober Plant saying "he had a touch of sleeping sickness."

As you pointed out, Jimmy is on point at the beginning of the show, so I'm not sure a slow start is what Robert was talking about.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, SteveZ98 said:

I remastered the audio to the Seattle show and merged it with the video. Here's a sample. If anyone wants the full show, send me a message.

Sounds fantastic. Hope to experience it. ✌🏼🤘🏼

Damn, those songs are played near flawless by everyone. The only minor issue is Plant's voice cracking a few times here and there but otherwise the band is playing very well. Jimmy is playing at or above 73' level and his solos in SA, NFBM, & OTHAFA are breathtaking. The SA & NFBM solos are the best I have heard Page play those particular solos, the OTHAFA solo is almost as good as the 6-22 LA show and he does some pretty unique runs which are a true highlight, and TSRTS is played just as well, almost exactly, as done on TSRTS soundtrack. Jimmy was definitely clear and focused at the beginning of the show. Bonzo was not overplaying as he did on some night's such as 6-21 but instead played with power and finesse. I would take this version of TSRTS over 6-21 any day plus twice on Sunday. We also finally get to hear what the Alembic sounded like and was capable of. No longer does it sound twangy and flat but is rich, powerful, and fills out the sound much better than the Jazz Bass on SA & NFBM. However I do prefer the Jazz Bass for TSRTS & OTHAFA.

Apart from this I have also heard STH from this show which is also a brilliant version. Unless the other tunes I have not heard are turkeys I do not understand the shit this show gets. IMO from what I have heard it is an excellent show, not a good show but an excellent show. Not just 77' excellent but the whole of Zep's career excellent.

Please let me know if the rest of the show was just as strong.

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Damn, those songs are played near flawless by everyone. The only minor issue is Plant's voice cracking a few times here and there but otherwise the band is playing very well. Jimmy is playing at or above 73' level and his solos in SA, NFBM, & OTHAFA are breathtaking. The SA & NFBM solos are the best I have heard Page play those particular solos, the OTHAFA solo is almost as good as the 6-22 LA show and he does some pretty unique runs which are a true highlight, and TSRTS is played just as well, almost exactly, as done on TSRTS soundtrack. Jimmy was definitely clear and focused at the beginning of the show. Bonzo was not overplaying as he did on some night's such as 6-21 but instead played with power and finesse. I would take this version of TSRTS over 6-21 any day plus twice on Sunday. We also finally get to hear what the Alembic sounded like and was capable of. No longer does it sound twangy and flat but is rich, powerful, and fills out the sound much better than the Jazz Bass on SA & NFBM. However I do prefer the Jazz Bass for TSRTS & OTHAFA.

Apart from this I have also heard STH from this show which is also a brilliant version. Unless the other tunes I have not heard are turkeys I do not understand the shit this show gets. IMO from what I have heard it is an excellent show, not a good show but an excellent show. Not just 77' excellent but the whole of Zep's career excellent.

Please let me know if the rest of the show was just as strong.

I've spent a lot of time working on the '77 shows, and the thing I've consistently found is that the better the audio sounds, the better you realize the performance was. I know a lot of people just focus on how well Jimmy played, but there were three world class rock instrumentalists on the stage during those shows, not just one. The problem is that a lot of recordings don't do a good job of capturing what Bonzo and Jonsey were doing, particularly the interplay of the kick drum and bass, so you end up judging the show just on Jimmy and Robert because they're what was captured on the recording. And what happens with the soundboards in particular is that there's no reverb on them, so Jimmy's guitar comes across as very dry and uninteresting, when at the show it would have had reverb on it and also been enhanced by the natural echo within the auditorium. And regarding the Alembic, I think it's poor reputation comes from the fact that its low end is never captured on recordings. When you add the low end back in it sounds like a weapon of war, not the child's toy that it otherwise sounds like. The cool thing for me is that after the soundboards are remastered, it's much easier to hear just how good each player was individually and how well they worked as a team, which for me makes listening to those shows much more enjoyable. 

Edited by SteveZ98

On 2/11/2019 at 11:39 AM, SteveZ98 said:

There's another thread on the site about this show. In it, a person speculates 

As you pointed out, Jimmy is on point at the beginning of the show, so I'm not sure a slow start is what Robert was talking about.

It means he was on a lot of drugs

2 hours ago, Jimmy's Dragon Suit said:

I still think this concert is underrated for 77.

Agreed. I think there's some really good playing that was hidden before by the low quality of the audio. Hopefully improving the sound will improve the reputation of the show.