Seattle 1977 Video with Remastered Sound

SteveZ98

I've watched about half the show now and the sound is a definite improvement. I haven't directly compared it to the DVD I've got, but I do remember that one sounding like hell. This one sounds quite good, so that's an improvement right there already.

This, along with the excellent Live In New York video, are helping to make the 50th anniversary better than a total bust. Thanks to SteveZ98 for doing the work of bringing us this great video!

Edited by Balthazor

On 2/11/2019 at 2:51 AM, rm2551 said:

What is the "sleeping sickness" that is referred to after Sick Again in Seattle? (yes, I'm serious)

The first few songs Pagey seems to deliver quite nicely.

Plant made this comment right after "Sick Again", which featured some seriously sloppy playing by Page. Plant was obviously covering for it with a lame excuse.

On 2/12/2019 at 12:48 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Jimmy is playing at or above 73' level

You've just lost all credibility. 

Edited by gibsonfan159

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Plant made this comment right after "Sick Again", which featured some seriously sloppy playing by Page. Plant was obviously covering for it with a lame excuse.

You've just lost all credibility. 

and you have lost your mind. Jimmy was not sloppy on SA, in fact he plays the solo's cleaner on this version than most so I have no clue what the hell you keep on about. I am 50 years old, have been playing guitar since 15, and have played in several professional bands. I will be the first to point out shitty Page playing (Ft. Worth 77' a good example) but I will also point out when he plays well and the video of those four songs shows a very on point Page, especially for 77'. I cannot comment on the rest of the show (except STH which he played brilliantly), but those four songs above sounded very good.

Maybe you are more of a note perfect, exactly as the records are played kinda guy and that is your right. For me, when an artist plays it exactly as on the records, that is a lame ass, lazy, safe as hell player which I have zero interest in listening to.

9 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

. I am 50 years old, have been playing guitar since 15, and have played in several professional bands

" U WOT MATE? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class...."  

Page plays terribly on Sick Again and if you can't tell then I'd question your musical sensibility. He does pretty good on the last half of the show though.

12 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Plant made this comment right after "Sick Again", which featured some seriously sloppy playing by Page.

I'm surprised by this opinion. I think there is no doubt he is very reserved, but I thought it was fine. He was tired as fuck it seems to me and I imagined Plants comment to be from maybe for a few hours prior to the gig Jimmy was simply fucked from the previous hard partying - however long being off chops, and he was crashing hard, and had this gig to do - so the expectation was he would be sleep walking through it. Able to play, but half dead in need of SLEEP. The first two songs I thought lacked a LOT of enthusiasm and usual amount of adventure within the guitar breaks, but were otherwise delivered quite nicely.

Seriously sloppy? I don't hear that. I'm no guitarist or purist or perfectionist - I know he was not note perfect, but the remaster for me made me think if you were at this concert, based on TSRTS and SA - you'd be pumped as fuck. I thought it sounded fine.

OTHAFA - now that would bring you back down, there shines a sleeping Page.

Anyway, to each their own.

I also think this is a perfect representation of the '77 tour overall. Pagey recovering from being off chops (or too off chops during the gig?) and while displaying moments of greatness was often struggling - or uninspired/not focused - Plant getting a bit of strength back in the voice, but not quite there yet, Bonzo peaking like he was on really good gear and matching or outshining Page, and the great set list but way over indulgent (which at times worked - mostly didn't).

I can't wait to hear the rest of it.

4 hours ago, rm2551 said:

also think this is a perfect representation of the '77 tour overall

I think this show hurts the opinion of Zep in 77 (especially if you watch the video). Plant's voice is pretty rough compared to most other 77 shows. Page, though not disastrous, certainly isn't as fluid as NY or LA. Bonham is killing it though. But the video- poor Jimmy looking like he's extremely hungover with his custom made suit hanging on him like a drape on a hat stand. It's kinda sad.

As far as performance, I guess I just hold them to higher standards than everyone else. Those frustrated, forced, "out of ideas" bends and runs he does on the second SA solo literally sound like a kid who's been playing for a year jamming to a Led Zeppelin song. Maybe others can't hear it, but I sure as hell can. I guess I'm just cursed to be disappointed while everyone else enjoys unprofessional musicianship.

1 minute ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Those frustrated, forced, "out of ideas" bends and runs he does on the second SA solo literally sound like a kid who's been playing for a year jamming to a Led Zeppelin song.

I agree. But I don't see that as sloppy as much as nothing was going anywhere as he seemed completely uninspired. He was not into it enough to take anything anywhere so it was all fill.

LA and NY for sure are great. Taken overall - '77 was hit and miss. 1980 was more of that. But until the end, there were always those diamonds....

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

As far as performance, I guess I just hold them to higher standards than everyone else. Those frustrated, forced, "out of ideas" bends and runs he does 

I know exactly what you mean MATE as I have seen Van Halen several times and have long tired of listening to EVH's frustrated, forced, "out of ideas" tapping and dive bombing the exact same in almost every song they play. Shit, you would think old EVH could at least change the arrangement of his solo's from time to time to sound interesting but no. Dude came up with a couple of brilliant ideas back in 77' and never changed a note. Sad.

10 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

But the video- poor Jimmy looking like he's extremely hungover with his custom made suit hanging on him like a drape on a hat stand. It's kinda sad.

As far as performance, I guess I just hold them to higher standards than everyone else. Those frustrated, forced, "out of ideas" bends and runs he does on the second SA solo literally sound like a kid who's been playing for a year jamming to a Led Zeppelin song. Maybe others can't hear it, but I sure as hell can. I guess I'm just cursed to be disappointed while everyone else enjoys unprofessional musicianship.

Spare me already with this bullshit. Seriously, Captain Obvious, you don't know who LZ '77 were by now? You take this beautiful document of the band, the only pro-shot footage of the tour, which has never been presented this well before, and use it to cut the band off at the knees? Why do you bother with Led Zeppelin when you know their live performances won't live up to your "professional musicianship" standards. You are completely clueless about LZ and RnR in general. Neither were ever intended to be note perfect. 

On 2/14/2019 at 6:21 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

" U WOT MATE? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class...."  

Page plays terribly on Sick Again and if you can't tell then I'd question your musical sensibility. 

So, fans came here to say they enjoyed this viewing experience and you're here to confirm that's not a valid point of view?

Really.

4 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Spare me already with this bullshit. Seriously, Captain Obvious, you don't know who LZ '77 were by now? You take this beautiful document of the band, the only pro-shot footage of the tour, which has never been presented this well before, and use it to cut the band off at the knees? Why do you bother with Led Zeppelin when you know their live performances won't live up to your "professional musicianship" standards. You are completely clueless about LZ and RnR in general. Neither were ever intended to be note perfect. 

So, fans came here to say they enjoyed this viewing experience and you're here to confirm that's not a valid point of view?

Really.

Not being an ass in any way but gibsonfan159 has clearly stated in his review of this show that he thinks it's a decent show with some duds and some standout highlights specifically being the acoustic set and some other gems such as Nobody's Fault and the epic Stairway solo. In my opinion it's an average 77 show with nothing too special or horrendous it's a shame this is what we get for pro-shot video instead of something like the LA run, but being that it's the only pro-shot footage that we have I'd rather it be Seattle than the horrendous Tempe show and am extremely grateful for this remaster which does make the show sound a whole lot better.

In regards to Led Zeppelin fandom I think it's ridiculous that people who have differing opinions think that one opinion is above the other, we are all fans here so if you don't agree with someone maybe you shouldn't resort to being an imbecile and calling them Captain Obvious and saying things such as "why bother with Led Zeppelin" the reason he bothers to comment or criticize is he's a fan of the band and has every right to criticize the band based on the standards the band started back in the early 70s. 

Anyways I'm not here to start anything I'm just tired of seeing people getting ridiculed for their opinions when everyone has their right to his/hers own opinions without being told they are wrong when everything is subjective.

5 hours ago, wordev1977 said:

Not being an ass in any way but gibsonfan159 has clearly stated in his review of this show that he thinks it's a decent show with some duds and some standout highlights specifically being the acoustic set and some other gems such as Nobody's Fault and the epic Stairway solo. In my opinion it's an average 77 show with nothing too special or horrendous it's a shame this is what we get for pro-shot video instead of something like the LA run, but being that it's the only pro-shot footage that we have I'd rather it be Seattle than the horrendous Tempe show and am extremely grateful for this remaster which does make the show sound a whole lot better.

In regards to Led Zeppelin fandom I think it's ridiculous that people who have differing opinions think that one opinion is above the other, we are all fans here so if you don't agree with someone maybe you shouldn't resort to being an imbecile and calling them Captain Obvious and saying things such as "why bother with Led Zeppelin" the reason he bothers to comment or criticize is he's a fan of the band and has every right to criticize the band based on the standards the band started back in the early 70s. 

Anyways I'm not here to start anything I'm just tired of seeing people getting ridiculed for their opinions when everyone has their right to his/hers own opinions without being told they are wrong when everything is subjective.

Amen to that brother! I agree with literally everything in your post. 

The sound quality of this remaster is amazing! Definitely a night and day difference. I would love to hear the rest of the show. It's a shame that this wasn't the version of the show that's been circulating on Youtube for years.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:31 PM, rm2551 said:

I also think this is a perfect representation of the '77 tour overall.

No, not  at  all. Actually, the  Seattle  video  is  the  source  of  negativity  for  the  1977  tour. All  the  bad  rumors  come  from  people  who  listen  to  this  show  and  then  comment  how  bad  is  Jimmy's  playing, or  how  bad  is  Plant's  voice. The  Seattle  show  should  never  be  considered  a  good  (or  even  fair)  representation  of  the  1977  tour, simply  because  Plant's  voice  is  destroyed, like  it  was  in  1975. The  only  1977  shows  featuring  a  hoarse  Plant  are  Seattle  and  Tempe. In  my  opinion, the  best  representation  of  the  tour  is  the  Cleveland  4-28-77  show. A  mind  blowing  show, just  a  small  step  above  the  L.A.  shows.

Edited by confounded_bridge

12 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Nope. I came here to watch this awesome remaster (well done btw) and question the absolute insanity of saying Page plays better here than anytime in 73.

You can "enjoy" anything you want, but don't spread misinformation about the band's technical ability. As a true fan of the group I think it's very important to stay on the level and not spout over glorified, misunderstood bullshit that sidesteps the truth. That's unfair to the band's legacy. I "enjoy" Tempe 77, but I'm not gonna say Page plays better than 73 and I will verbally punch anyone in the nuts who does. And if I say something equally ridiculous (like my unpopular opinion of Bonzo) then I expect the fans on here to give me the same punishment. 

36 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Nope. I came here to watch this awesome remaster (well done btw) and question the absolute insanity of saying Page plays better here than anytime in 73.

You can "enjoy" anything you want, but don't spread misinformation about the band's technical ability. As a true fan of the group I think it's very important to stay on the level and not spout over glorified, misunderstood bullshit that sidesteps the truth. That's unfair to the band's legacy. I "enjoy" Tempe 77, but I'm not gonna say Page plays better than 73 and I will verbally punch anyone in the nuts who does. And if I say something equally ridiculous (like my unpopular opinion of Bonzo) then I expect the fans on here to give me the same punishment. 

Haha, well said. As the good old saying goes... everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they're not entitled to their own facts. The problem with music , or any art,  is subjectivity obscures the facts or makes people think they don't apply or are irrelevant, because it's "art" , freedom of expression, is totally subjective/in the eye of the beholder. Well, to my ears , Jimmy sounds like one of those  "shred " videos on most of this show and many others post 75. I'm not a guitarist, but it's pretty clear to me that his articulation went way down in 77, to a point where it's painfully embarrassing much of the time. Of course there is passion and creative brilliance , it's Jimmy Page !! But there becomes a certain point when feeling alone is not enough when the technical aspects have gotten so fucked. I think this is probably why there won't be much if anything that will be officially released from the later tours . 

It takes some serious rose colored ears to think he was in good form here. Objectively speaking, his ideas were choppy, he's missing lots of notes, his articulation was a mess, open strings sounding all over, so at some point you have to say...damn , his playing was in rough shape. Otherwise you're making excuses or simply don't have musical ears....some people don't, but they think they do...it's a fact! 

That said....thank you for your efforts on the remaster, it sounds as good as it will most likely get. 

Edited by porgie66

5 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Haha, well said. As the good old saying goes... everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they're not entitled to their own facts. The problem with music , or any art,  is subjectivity obscures the facts or makes people think they don't apply or are irrelevant, because it's "art" , freedom of expression, is totally subjective/in the eye of the beholder. Well, to my ears , Jimmy sounds like one of those  "shred " videos on most of this show and many others post 75. I'm not a guitarist, but it's pretty clear to me that his articulation went way down in 77, to a point where it's painfully embarrassing much of the time. Of course there is passion and creative brilliance , it's Jimmy Page !! But there becomes a certain point when feeling alone is not enough when the technical aspects have gotten so fucked. I think this is probably why there won't be much if anything that will be officially released from the later tours . 

It takes some serious rose colored ears to think he was in good form here. Objectively speaking, his ideas were choppy, he's missing lots of notes, his articulation was a mess, open strings sounding all over, so at some point you have to say...damn , his playing was in rough shape. Otherwise you're making excuses or simply don't have musical ears....some people don't, but they think they do...it's a fact! 

That said....thank you for your efforts on the remaster, it sounds as good as it will most likely get. 

For what it's worth, gibsonfan159 didn't do the remaster, I did. Glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by SteveZ98

13 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

No, not  at  all. Actually, the  Seattle  video  is  the  source  of  negativity  for  the  1977  tour. All  the  bad  rumors  come  from  people  who  listen  to  this  show  and  then  comment  how  bad  is  Jimmy's  playing, or  how  bad  is  Plant's  voice. The  Seattle  show  should  never  be  considered  a  good  (or  even  fair)  representation  of  the  1977  tour, simply  because  Plant's  voice  is  destroyed, like  it  was  in  1975. The  only  1977  shows  featuring  a  hoarse  Plant  are  Seattle  and  Tempe. In  my  opinion, the  best  representation  of  the  tour  is  the  Cleveland  4-28-77  show. A  mind  blowing  show, just  a  small  step  above  the  L.A.  shows.

I think it's the perfect example exactly because it is so average - with pieces of genius. I think it is a "fair" representation in so far as it reflects what a lot of that tour was. INCONSISTENT. Not because it was particularly good or bad. I will caveat - I have not heard ALL of the '77 boots available - so my opinion being ill informed is possibly valid.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

I believe you are missing what I am saying. Let me explain: Page beginning in 75' started to change his approach to playing in general. Page 68' - 73' was pretty much sticking with Pentatonic & blues scales for most of his structuring and then starting on HOTH to throw in a jazz scale (Dorian)in here and there (NQ). However, in his live approach beginning in 75' he begins to incorporate some pretty radical phrasings and dissonant chordings he never used before including obscure scales. I believe this was due to his attending a guitar clinic hosted by John McLaughlin in 74' who had pioneered the use of such with Miles Davis and Mahavishnu Orchestra. By 77' he was using these techniques even more, the problem was his ability to pull it off, coherently, fluidly was suffering due to his injury in 75' and later his addictions. However, on the night's he did pull it off he did indeed, IMO, play better overall than in 73' due to the greater diversity he was utilizing. A great example of this succeeding would be the 6-22-77 OTHAFA solo. I believe this is what Jimmy was trying to achieve and finally did. That is just one example, another would be his NQ solos on March 18th & 23rd 75'.

Of course Tempe was a shit-show but from what I heard of Seattle, it was strong. I did not hear poor articulation or phrasing in any of the songs played in the video. The only complaints I have is TSRTS was played rather restrained by Page as well as SA, but both, IMO, were played well. I really liked his showing in both OTHAFA & NFBM. Just being honest but if you disagree, that is your right but the fact is some of those dissonant, weird runs he does beginning in 75' he was doing on purpose. If you check out McLaughlin's playing on Bitches Brew especially you will hear Mac doing similar techniques, though admittedly, in a much more coherent and focused manner.

As posted above if Jimmy would have been clean, the musical direction he was going, he would have been amazing. As it was we need to remember, he has reinvented his playing style and approach three times (75', 83', and 95' to a lesser degree) which is damn impressive for any guitarist. If there is one phrase I can use to describe Jimmy, it would be always willing to take a chance in a live setting. How many professional players can make that claim?