Black Dog Lyric SO WRONG

dandak

Now, I am 58 and vividly remember Black Dog when it came out. I Loved it and still do. I vividly remember reading the lyrics in a magazine a few years later....say around 1974 or so, but cannot remember WHICH magazine now 40+ years later, about the line that NOW is said to be:

"I dont know, but I've been told, long-legged woman aint got no soul."

Nope, 100% WRONG. I and the fellow Led Heads I grew up with, as well as the magazine article, as well as my ears  know it is:

"I dont know, but I've been told, Beatle-laid woman aint got no soul". The article mentioned that LZ were on friendly terms with the Beatles, George Harrison in particular as I recall, and it was a FRIENDLY jab at them.

Listen to the song. It definitely is two words, and the first word is definitely two syllables and definitely begins with a B. Its around the 2:25 mark in the song. If you hear a L at the beginning, well....gimme some of the stuff you're on! Its definitely a B, two syllables and the second word definitely begins with an L. Im telling you its Beatle-laid. When I see cover bands do this, they invariably say Long Legged. Figure its time to put this to rest.

Any comments? Like I said everybody I know that is a huge Led fan remembers it as Beatle-laid also.

34 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

🤔  "BIG legged woman" ...you know that has to be it. 

Or are you messing with us? It's big leg ( legged) woman. 

Yes you are right, most say BIG legged instead of long legged (Ive heard people say "long legged" too, as well as "Beatnik woman" "Beaten Woman" and a few others and my favorite from a long ago co-worker  "Lemonade woman"!!! (there is that L again)). But I STILL say its BEATLE LAID. All I ask is you LISTEN to it. The first word is TWO syllables. Just LISTEN to it.

3 minutes ago, dandak said:

Yes you are right, most say BIG legged instead of long legged (Ive heard people say long legged too). But I STILL say its BEATLE LAID. All I ask is you LISTEN to it. The first word is TWO syllables. Just LISTEN to it.

OK, after 40 years of hearing it, I'm gonna listen closely again. But I think it's just Percy's way of saying big'a leg woman....

Yanni/ Laurel type thing! 😂

3 minutes ago, dandak said:

Yes you are right, most say BIG legged instead of long legged (Ive heard people say long legged too). But I STILL say its BEATLE LAID. All I ask is you LISTEN to it. The first word is TWO syllables. Just LISTEN to it.

If you can't tell it is "big legged woman" in the studio version (which is obviously is without a doubt) check out live versions.  For example, listen to How the West Was Won.

Just now, dandak said:

Also the song is ripe with sexual innuendos.

Big legged ....really?  And I am not messing with anybody. I spent the last 45 years knowing it is Beatle-laid and not big-legged. I need the two syllable first word....it isnt Big.

It is a term used in old blues songs

4 minutes ago, John M said:

If you can't tell it is "big legged woman" in the studio version (which is obviously is without a doubt) check out live versions.  For example, listen to How the West Was Won.

Nope...just listened to the studio version over and over. I hear a TWO SYLLABLE first word. I hear BEATLE. What they did live is of no concern here....they may have decided to scale it back a bit in regards to the Beatles. What I really need is to find the magazine article where it was talked about being a friendly jab. What magazines were around in the mid 70S?

37 minutes ago, dandak said:

Also the song is ripe with sexual innuendos.

Big legged ....really?  And I am not messing with anybody. I spent the last 45 years knowing it is Beatle-laid and not big-legged. I need the two syllable first word....it isnt Big.

This is ridiculous.  In that 45 years have you ever heard the song "Born Under A Bad Sign"?   

56 minutes ago, dandak said:

Nope...just listened to the studio version over and over. I hear a TWO SYLLABLE first word. I hear BEATLE. What they did live is of no concern here....they may have decided to scale it back a bit in regards to the Beatles. What I really need is to find the magazine article where it was talked about being a friendly jab. What magazines were around in the mid 70S?

Cream magazine, Crawdaddy, Circus magazine, Rolling Stone, Hit Parader, etc.

16 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I've got a lot of money saying you never find it.

HAHA You are probably correct. I'd put a lot of money up saying I wont find it too!

Perhaps porgie66 is correct and Plant says "biga legged" instead of big, yet I remember Beatle Laid. And I remember the article. Was the author inferring it? Perhaps. Trying to remember what I read back then. Crawdaddy, Cream,.....

In any case, it ISNT ridiculous hummingbird69. Just keep an open mind. I may be 1000% wrong and will admit it, but I may be right too. If I am wrong it has to be BIGA legged like porgie66 says, there is another syllable there.

What a silly, preposterous thread. You're either taking the piss or a deaf old bugger.

Nobody in their right mind hears "Beatle-laid", "long-legged", or any of the other goofy terms you suggested. It is clearly "big-legged".

That is why every time the band played "Black Dog" live and the crowd would sing along, you would hear the crowd sing "big-legged woman" at that point in the song.

I dare say if you and your goofy friends had sang "Beatle-laid" at that point, the rest of the crowd would have pelted you with beer and laughed you out of the arena.

Why would a Beaten Woman have no soul? That makes no sense and is quite insensitive. And Beatnick Woman? the Beats were long gone by 71' plus, why would a Beatnick Woman have no soul as well? This sounds like some serious misogynistic shit to me. Sounds like someone has issues, and it ain't Zeppelin.

Besides, everyone knows Big-Legged Women have no soul...their legs are too big thus, no soul.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Nobody in their right mind hears "Beatle-laid", "long-legged", or any of the other goofy terms you suggested. It is clearly "big-legged".

Not true. I do. So did others. And the other terms "I suggested" were not suggested by me. They are terms OTHERS told me Plant was saying, that I disbelieved.

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Why would a Beaten Woman have no soul? That makes no sense and is quite insensitive. And Beatnick Woman? the Beats were long gone by 71' plus, why would a Beatnick Woman have no soul as well? This sounds like some serious misogynistic shit to me. Sounds like someone has issues, and it ain't Zeppelin.

Besides, everyone knows Big-Legged Women have no soul...their legs are too big thus, no soul.

I never said it was beaten or beatnik woman, OTHERS DID and I disagreed with them. Read carefully. I said it was Beatle Laid woman, which by the way, I have to admit I may be wrong here. Dont be so politically correct anyway...we are talking 1971 Lyrics.

I never heard those old blues songs referencing big legged women and appreciate the clips. Just never liked that kind of music even tho it influenced Zep. A friend gave me a Lead Belly CD...I couldnt get through it.

I will tell you though, I was 11 when BD came out. Had no idea what was being said but loved the song. Didn't know or care what "laid" meant at the time. My brother got Zep 2 in 1972 or 1973 and that is when I became a Led Head. I bought Zep 4 in 1973 or 1974, for $1.98 plus tax (Still remember the price!) saving up my 25 cents every 2 weeks allowance, a bit after HOTH came out. By then I sure knew what "Laid" meant. And it wasn't like today, back then as a 13 or 14 year old hearing the word "LAID" on  the radio was amazing to me! THATS why I remember the part of the article when it was explained about "Beatle Laid". I remember that because it was a hoot!! Yes, that may be 1000% wrong and NOW with the Big legged references supplied above I get it. But I'm telling you I KNOW what i read at the time. And yes all my Led Zep friends at the time would say that was the lyrics too. I subscribed at one point to Crawdaddy but read most of the others out at the time, borrowing them from friends.

Sorry if it ticked anybody off....wow....guess I better just go back to reading the posts and not interacting!

Have a good day all.....remember to chill out....

Think Ill put on Physical Graffiti.....

I think it's actually bootlegged woman and it's referring to that girl in the LA 1977 crowd saying 'somebody just threw it, I don't know where it came from' where she is talking about this verse which in terms means good luck finding out the meaning for sure in a song with verses, that are not necessarily much connected to each other and are thrown in like that. ;);):)

1 minute ago, SamoKodela said:

I think it's actually bootleged woman and it's referring to that girl in the LA 1977 crowd saying 'somebody just threw it, I don't know where it came from' where she is talking about this verse which in terms means good luck finding out the meaning for sure in a song with verses, that are not necessarily much connected to each other and are thrown in like that. ;);):)

It may be. But be prepared to be ridiculed here for thinking it.

2 minutes ago, dandak said:

I never said it was beaten or beatnik woman, OTHERS DID and I disagreed with them. Read carefully. I said it was Beatle Laid woman, which by the way, I have to admit I may be wrong here. Dont be so politically correct anyway...we are talking 1971 Lyrics.

I never heard those old blues songs referencing big legged women and appreciate the clips. Just never liked that kind of music even tho it influenced Zep. A friend gave me a Lead Belly CD...I couldnt get through it.

I will tell you though, I was 11 when BD came out. Had no idea what was being said but loved the song. Didn't know or care what "laid" meant at the time. My brother got Zep 2 in 1972 or 1973 and that is when I became a Led Head. I bought Zep 4 in 1973 or 1974, for $1.98 plus tax (Still remember the price!) saving up my 25 cents a week allowance, a bit after HOTH came out. By then I sure knew what "Laid" meant. And it wasn't like today, back then as a 13 or 14 year old hearing the word "LAID" on  the radio was amazing to me! THATS why I remember the part of the article when it was explained about "Beatle Laid". I remember that because it was a hoot!! Yes, that may be 1000% wrong and NOW with the Big legged references supplied above I get it. But I'm telling you I KNOW what i read at the time. And yes all my Led Zep friends at the time would say that was the lyrics too. Sorry if it ticked anybody off....wow....guess I better just go back to reading the posts and not interacting!

Have a good day all.....remember to chill out....

Think Ill put on Physical Graffiti.....

No worries, my post was just taking the piss, joking around. I was not being serious. I can be a very silly man sometimes.

1 minute ago, dandak said:

It may be. But be prepared to be ridiculed here for thinking it.

I'm sorry. I was just joking. But basicaly I wanted to say there is no need to argue about such things, your interpretation works just fine for you and might work for some others too, but most won't accept it by ear and by memories. Doesn't matter as long as it's not actually someone claiming he knows absolutely for sure(which some are doing here and are also being a bit unkind), without official lyrics being released or unless it's someone enforcing some conspiracy theories.

23 minutes ago, SamoKodela said:

....without official lyrics being released ....

Quite right. Maybe this forum needs an area where lyrics are posted to be the definitive guide to the songs. I for one would love to know what Plant really says on Carouselambra.

Archived