2019 NFL Thread

Walter

It was glorious watching San Francisco dominate the Fudgepackers. It reminded me of the Miami Dolphins of the 1970s. After the Raiders, the Dolphins were my second-favourite team.

Watching Csonka, Morris, and Kiick behind that line of Langer, Little, and Kuchenburg steamroll people was mesmerizing. Yeah, throwing the ball all over the field has its beauty and style but there is something primal and powerful about a team that can run at will.

The Dolphins knew they were going to run. Their opponents knew they were going to run. The Dolphins knew their opponents knew they were going to run. The fans knew they were going to run. The announcers knew they were going to run. Still, nobody could stop them from running.

Much was made of San Francisco's Jimmy Garoppolo only throwing 8 passes. Bob Griese had three playoff games in which he threw fewer passes...and won all three.

Here is the 1973 AFC Championship Game...Oakland Raiders @ Miami Dolphins. Bob Griese was 3 of 6 passing for 34 yards and the Dolphins still dominated the game, rushing 53 times for 266 yards.

Note: 18 Hall of Famers were involved in this game...8 Dolphins, 10 Raiders.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

It was glorious watching San Francisco dominate the Fudgepackers. It reminded me of the Miami Dolphins of the 1970s. After the Raiders, the Dolphins were my second-favourite team.

Watching Csonka, Morris, and Kiick behind that line of Langer, Little, and Kuchenburg steamroll people was mesmerizing. Yeah, throwing the ball all over the field has its beauty and style but there is something primal and powerful about a team that can run at will.

The Dolphins knew they were going to run. Their opponents knew they were going to run. The Dolphins knew their opponents knew they were going to run. The fans knew they were going to run. The announcers knew they were going to run. Still, nobody could stop them from running.

Much was made of San Francisco's Jimmy Garoppolo only throwing 8 passes. Bob Griese had three playoff games in which he threw fewer passes...and won all three.

Here is the 1973 AFC Championship Game...Oakland Raiders @ Miami Dolphins. Bob Griese was 3 of 6 passing for 34 yards and the Dolphins still dominated the game, rushing 53 times for 266 yards.

Note: 18 Hall of Famers were involved in this game...8 Dolphins, 10 Raiders.

Well maybe your Raiders will be significant again now that they have another new venue?  I see them getting 2-3 prime time games just because of their move there.  Bills are at Vegas next year.  They had best not leave my Bills off prime time and put the stinking Jets and Bears on there.  They did giv us the biggest game, Thanksgiving.  A real shock. Now that they made the playoffs again and assuming Beane does the right thing, they should be tough.   Looking back to your old Raiders I still cant believe Ken Stabler is gone.  I always liked him.  And Belitnekoff.   Forgive the spelling, he was a great  receiver for a little guy. The Mad Stork, Ted Hendricks, and remember Stablers run in the "Immaculate Reception" game?   40 freakin yards vs the mighty steel curtain.  And I could probably run as fast as him then.  LOL.   Ill never forget that game or the one above.  

21 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Looking back to your old Raiders I still cant believe Ken Stabler is gone.  I always liked him.  And Belitnekoff.   Forgive the spelling, he was a great  receiver for a little guy. The Mad Stork, Ted Hendricks, and remember Stablers run in the "Immaculate Reception" game?   40 freakin yards vs the mighty steel curtain.  And I could probably run as fast as him then.  LOL.   Ill never forget that game or the one above.  

Otis 'The Man From Mars' Sistrunk. Some of the greatest football ever played.

image.thumb.png.0389d1eddeccf323b6c7dbb0633c1ad9.png

7 hours ago, Walter said:

My father used to refer to him as “Turkey Tarkenton”... 🤣

Saw him play SF in 1976 on a Monday night game. Even got a glimpse of Howard Cosell. Niners won 20-16. We thought SF would take the division and then the wheels fell off losing 4 in a row, Cedrick Hardman broke his ankle and the hated Rams then won the division. They did shut out the Rams early in the season (we were in heaven) and beat newbies Seattle in Seattle. It was an exciting year for SF, but it all went south after that until 1981.

12 hours ago, Walter said:

My father used to refer to him as “Turkey Tarkenton”... 🤣

He was some kind of player.  Would have shamed half the current QBs

This years Super Bowl, I just do not feel like either of these teams is truly Super.  I mean, compared to some of yesteryear's teams.   But I do believe SF is the best team.  KC has the young superstar QB.  Is it enough?  I do not think it will be?   Assuming SF secondary does not get torched completely

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

11 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

He was some kind of player.  Would have shamed half the current QBs

This years Super Bowl, I just do not feel like either of these teams is truly Super.  I mean, compared to some of yesteryear's teams.   But I do believe SF is the best team.  KC has the young superstar QB.  Is it enough?  I do not think it will be?   Assuming SF secondary does not get torched completely

He was a gambler, so I'm sure that reference was due to losing money on him.

Both teams could be on the road to greatness and we might just be seeing the first step for one of them next Sunday.

1 minute ago, Walter said:

He was a gambler, so I'm sure that reference was due to losing money on him.

Both teams could be on the road to greatness and we might just be seeing the first step for one of them next Sunday.

Well I am not ready to say either one is going to be a dynasty.   I think Dynasty's will be more of a rare thing.  

3 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well I am not ready to say either one is going to be a dynasty.   I think Dynasty's will be more of a rare thing.  

Both qb's are young, so you'll have to deal with Mahomes for awhile in the AFC.  Jimmy G isn't going to be at his level, but that SF team is young and deep with talent.  We'll see in another 5 or so years what they are able to accomplish.  The league is obviously ever changing and evolving.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:48 AM, Walter said:

Both qb's are young, so you'll have to deal with Mahomes for awhile in the AFC.  Jimmy G isn't going to be at his level, but that SF team is young and deep with talent.  We'll see in another 5 or so years what they are able to accomplish.  The league is obviously ever changing and evolving.

Take a look at the Bills opponents for next year.   https://www.buffalobills.com/schedule/future-opponents

Yikes