Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Lees

Best Version of Black Dog Ever Played

The version of Black Dog they played Sept 9, 1971 in Hampton (I have the Dead Battery boot) is the most aggressive, heaviest, badass version of this song I've ever heard. Period. The "Hey baby, Oh baby, Pretty baby, gotta get you moving now..." part is absolutely thunderous! One must only listen to this in the car with good speakers cranked up to 10 - no excuses and alternatives are not accepted.

Yes I agree. On par are also my favorites . . . the Adelaide Australia '72, Japan 28--sbd version that came out not too long ago--Page is in creative spirits, and finally '71 Leicester are particularly aggressive versions with great vocals by Plant!

Check all of the Australia 72 versions. Page was on fire for those solos. Also Uniondale 72, very heavy guitar tone.

8/21/71 LA has always been my favourite--very aggressive, accented by the recording--Bonham's bass drum is ridiculous, Plant's voice is great, and Page's solo is 🔥

MSG '73 uncut from the DVD--hard to top, but I'll throw in a few more just to check...

3/19/75

Earl's Court (Take your pick)...

8/4/79

Maybe something from the 80s tour...  :bubble:

Issues with these post. Sound quality, sorry guys some of these bootlegs sound terrible. 

I know the performance is stellar but it is almost impossible to listen to. Can you guys post something with clearn sound?

On 2/17/2019 at 6:38 PM, ZepHead315 said:

In terms of vocals, nothing beats Belfast 1971.

Yep, the March 1971 tour/vocals can’t be topped by any other versions.   

I've always liked the version from the 7-24-79 second Copenhagen warm-up show for Knebworth. Bootleg source of course, but a very good audience tape.