Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Christopher Lees

Zep Songs You Didn't Like, But You Like Now

Recommended Posts

These are the songs I used to not like, would skip over if I could, but I like them now, many, many years later:

Hots On for Nowhere

Royal Orleans

Hot Dog

Southbound Saurez

Darlene

Ozone Baby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Immigrant Song”!  I don't think that I initially liked that on first hearing.  Over time, I consider it one of my “go to” songs for the essence of Zeppelin.  Authors have quoted specs of the lyrics in their writings.  TV and radio use snippets of the opening measures of it as”lead-ins” to programming segments.  When Page goes into that guitar free form part of his solo, I hear elements of Jazz improvising which sometimes he accomplishes and not very well in other instances.  For me, I hear this song on several levels.

 

ADK-Zeppy

 

 

Edited by ADK-Zeppy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Night Flight - compared with all the outstanding songs of PG Night Flight is just mediocre. But I don't skip it anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dyer Maker. As a teenage metal head I couldn't tolerate it, but I learned to appreciate the spirit of it. And Bonham gets some killer drum fills in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LedZed66 said:

Night Flight - compared with all the outstanding songs of PG Night Flight is just mediocre. But I don't skip it anymore.

I hated the verses but loved the "meet me in the morning" part. Also some excellent drum fills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of Presence.  I got the album about the same time as most of the rest , listened to it but it didn't thrill me like the others.  Years later I went back and and loved it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot Dog and Carouselambra. As a teenager, I was not interested in listening to Zeppelin play country music, and anything with synthesizers was practically taboo.

Now that I'm older and hopefully wiser, Zeppelin playing country amuses me, and it's just such a catchy tune; and while synthesizers in hard rock are still usually pretty lame, Carouselambra gets a pass for being a flat out awesome song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 5:11 AM, Christopher Lees said:

These are the songs I used to not like, would skip over if I could, but I like them now, many, many years later:

Hots On for Nowhere

Royal Orleans

Hot Dog

Southbound Saurez

Darlene

Ozone Baby

I forgot one: The Crunge!

I used hate, hate, hate it, but now I love it. It's genuine too. I didn't have to force it if you know what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hats off to Roy Harper. That one I’ve always had trouble with. I was glad it was the last song on the album so I could skip it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ohjimmy said:

Hats off to Roy Harper. That one I’ve always had trouble with. I was glad it was the last song on the album so I could skip it. 

I used to skip that every time. Now I love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of Zep lll, I had just gotten into Zep and I wanted mainly fast or cranking songs. I was 13, but by 15 I had appreciation of

Zep's subtle and softer side. Now there isn't even one studio cut I actually dislike, although there are obvious favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down by the Seaside.   ...but I'm still not a fan of D'yer Mak'er. 🚮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 1:51 PM, Christopher Lees said:

I forgot one: The Crunge!

I used hate, hate, hate it, but now I love it. It's genuine too. I didn't have to force it if you know what I mean.

Yes The Crunge was a piss take on James Brown that just didn’t work.I like it a lot better on the latest remaster because it seems to breathe better than claustrophobic production on the original vinyl.Still it could do without that cheesey keyboard riff and somebody could have found that confounded bridge instead of falling in a heap at the end.

Edited by grasbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, grasbo said:

Yes The Crunge was a piss take on James Brown that just didn’t work.I like it a lot better on the latest remaster because it seems to breathe better than claustrophobic production on the original vinyl.Still it could do without that cheesey keyboard riff and somebody could have found that confounded bridge instead of falling in a heap at the end.

I don't see it as a James Brown 'piss take', they were all big James Brown fans so it was more of a homage than anything else.

Whatever you think about The Crunge, the drums are incredible, the sound as well as the playing. I absolutely love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, grasbo said:

Yes The Crunge was a piss take on James Brown that just didn’t work.I like it a lot better on the latest remaster because it seems to breathe better than claustrophobic production on the original vinyl.Still it could do without that cheesey keyboard riff and somebody could have found that confounded bridge instead of falling in a heap at the end.

You jest Sir, My UK RL Sterling A3 B3 pressing sounds absolutely fantastic, claustrophobic production my backside. l love the sound of The Crunge on this LP, a superb sounding album. Wow, claustrophobic, I’m reeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mook said:

I don't see it as a James Brown 'piss take', they were all big James Brown fans so it was more of a homage than anything else.

Whatever you think about The Crunge, the drums are incredible, the sound as well as the playing. I absolutely love it.

Just like "Hot Dog" was a tribute to Elvis...as they were all HUGE Elvis fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Just like "Hot Dog" was a tribute to Elvis...as they were all HUGE Elvis fans. 

Funny, I never really connected that.. I mean, I always figured it was a nod to Elvis... But, seeing In Through The Out Door was the 1st Led Zeppelin album released after Elvis died, it makes all the sense in the world Hot Dog was included.  

Edited by the chase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok perhaps I was a bit heavy with the piss take quote and yes they were fans of JB but as Page has mentioned about The Crunge “nobody saw the joke”.Yes the drums are sensational laying down a great groove but I just feel the whole track is poorly executed and yes Plant’s vocals are recorded too close giving that claustrophobic feel.All this sounds so much better on the remaster.I still have my original pressing from the 70s and I am sorry I don’t like it.Sorry just my honest opinion.BTW I always liked Hot Dog which is more fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, grasbo said:

Ok perhaps I was a bit heavy with the piss take quote and yes they were fans of JB but as Page has mentioned about The Crunge “nobody saw the joke”.Yes the drums are sensational laying down a great groove but I just feel the whole track is poorly executed and yes Plant’s vocals are recorded too close giving that claustrophobic feel.All this sounds so much better on the remaster.I still have my original pressing from the 70s and I am sorry I don’t like it.Sorry just my honest opinion.BTW I always liked Hot Dog which is more fun.

I'm going to say it again, there is nothing claustrophobic nor  is there anything poorly executed about "The Crunge". I really don't get your comment about the vocal being recorded to close.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JTM said:

I'm going to say it again, there is nothing claustrophobic nor  is there anything poorly executed about "The Crunge". I really don't get your comment about the vocal being recorded to close.

 

I agree. The production sounds fine to me. I think the Crunge rocks and it has it's own special groove. Perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok my last word on the claustrophobic vocals.Another angle.They are recorded very dry and close.Imho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonzo's Montreux. I don't like drum songs. I love Bonham, but I never did and still don't care about Moby Dick except for the guitar licks. I don't dislike it, but it's not my cup of tea just like every other drum song. Bonzo's Montreux on the other hand, while I didn't like it at first, grew on me. Now, I know it by heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×