The Crunge - Best Live Version

Christopher Lees

What is the best live version of The Crunge? It doesn't necessarily have to be the most complete version, as far as I'm concerned, but which version do you think best expresses the whole idea of The Crunge?  There are versions of it from some 72' boots and later ones as well. I think some of them were inserted into DAC in 72.

Thoughts?

On 2/21/2019 at 6:12 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Agreed, as far as it goes, this one is great.

I disagree , it's edgy sounding and they sound unsure about the form which often seems to be the case in 75. Page in particular sounds uncertain about the time changes. IMO,  72 versions were best but usually no vocal ...which is fine by me anyway. 

On 2/21/2019 at 8:40 PM, Bonzo_fan said:

It is very good!  Can't recall how complete.

I can't find a version from 75 that isn't fucked up to some degree with missed cues.  LOL. Frankly , this song kinda sucked live in 75.  It always sounded sloppy and Plants voice was straining by the end of the show, not to mention those ahhhhh moans are annoying. I'd rather hear the Instrumental versions from 72. 

4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I can't find a version from 75 that isn't fucked up to some degree with missed cues.  LOL. Frankly , this song kinda sucked live in 75.  It always sounded sloppy and Plants voice was straining by the end of the show, not to mention those ahhhhh moans are annoying. I'd rather hear the Instrumental versions from 72. 

Totally. The Crunge works far better as an instrumental.

50 minutes ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

I've always liked the TSRTS 1976 version during WLL. Not complete, but find this version a lot of fun + the groove is killer!

Surely you jest...they didn't play the Crunge in TSRTS, or at all in 73 US tour. 😕

• 1 month later...

Archived