Pontiac Silverdome

Moby_Dick_Ale

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:03 AM, pluribus said:

But what does it really matter to anybody anyway? The EV people have given us so many soundboards, which 99.9% of the people paid zero for. And all the people dreaming of a new soundboard are usually the same people who wouldn’t spend a single cent to get it, even if it was a show that everyone really wanted (how many of you actually bought How The East Wasn’t Won?). Are EV expected to be a charity?  

20 years ago I would’ve KILLED for the soundboards that we have today. There was a time, kiddos, back before the soundboard revolution. It was nothing but gen’d up tapes of unknown origin, with songs deliberately left off, rumors of stuff we never got to hear, people holding on to tapes and refusing to trade, and then paying out the nose for things that ended up being the same stuff you already had.  When things did get around, it would only ever get around to people via these long and painful trees and mail jobs. And still those discs had errors, with the clicks and pops. Oh yeah, and things took FOREVER. 

No affiliation. It just amazes me that, given the sheer volume of treasures that have come from EV alone, that people would still complain. 

Treasures ? Be honest how many times do you play them. I've got dozens, soon as they are out I download them, burn them to disc, print a cover play them for a week or two then forget about them. None of them  are really that great.  If they stopped coming out because the returns were not worthwhile I could not care two stuffs. I've heard enough boots over the last forty five plus years to last me a lifetime, the majority of them are only worth a cursory listen.  As for gen'd up tapes I don't know, my earliest boots were all LP's, in the days when prices were good, only a few pence/cents more than an official release, not the rip off prices asked for today. If anything there are way too many, there was a special magic years ago back when they were a rarity one had to seek out that secret place that sold them, now it's just click and you're done.

2 hours ago, JTM said:

Treasures ? Be honest how many times do you play them. I've got dozens, soon as they are out I download them, burn them to disc, print a cover play them for a week or two then forget about them. None of them  are really that great.  

I listen to them all the time, which is probably why I have the opinion I do. I’m always hearing something new too. Blueberry Hill still gets lots of listens, after all these years.

You’re proving my point too. People aren’t really listening to these shows that frequently. So why should EV or anyone else put out 20 of them at a time? They would sell even less, and everyone would probably agree which ones were the ones to buy/download, and which were the ones to avoid, which means that EV would lose money. Again, look back at the Fort Worth soundboard. Standard 75 show, not too many surprises. Quickly forgotten. Now it’s all about “Where’s Houston 75???”

These bootlegs are like a TV show that you will always keep watching, no matter how good each individual episode is. Doesn’t matter if this one or that one wasn’t so good, there’s always the next one to look forward to. And with the casual fans, there would be plenty of people who would be disappointed if the show suddenly ended.

Whenever I see these re-do boxsets or re-releases, I just assume that these are the episodes between the really good ones.

1 hour ago, pluribus said:

I listen to them all the time, which is probably why I have the opinion I do. I’m always hearing something new too. Blueberry Hill still gets lots of listens, after all these years.

You’re proving my point too. People aren’t really listening to these shows that frequently. So why should EV or anyone else put out 20 of them at a time? They would sell even less, and everyone would probably agree which ones were the ones to buy/download, and which were the ones to avoid, which means that EV would lose money. Again, look back at the Fort Worth soundboard. Standard 75 show, not too many surprises. Quickly forgotten. Now it’s all about “Where’s Houston 75???”

These bootlegs are like a TV show that you will always keep watching, no matter how good each individual episode is. Doesn’t matter if this one or that one wasn’t so good, there’s always the next one to look forward to. And with the casual fans, there would be plenty of people who would be disappointed if the show suddenly ended.

Whenever I see these re-do boxsets or re-releases, I just assume that these are the episodes between the really good ones.

Blueberry Hill, now that is one I listen too fairly often, others that get regular revisits are Mudslide, Going to California, Bonzo's Birthday Party.  They are the ones  I played to death, from the days when the choice was limited, so they actually  got listened too properly. In fact when I first got the Web in the mid nineties they were the ones I first looked for on the file sharing sites of the day, Napster, Audio Galaxy, Win MX etc..

13 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

That seems extremely low to me. Hell, there are collectors who would pay that much for exclusive copies. So why would EV be the go-to place for cash? 

And I don't understand how they even make their money back with prices like $300, unless the Japanese market just throws money at them. I've watched them on eBay and they just don't sell for the new price.

Because a random guy who somehow comes into possession of a tape (theft, found it in his grandpa's attic, finally got a conscience after decades of hoarding, whatever) isn't plugged into the network of collectors like (I assume) a bootleg company like EV is.  Hence the trade-off of getting a (somewhat) low amount of cash NOW vs. having to figure out how to strategically market the tape yourself.  

21 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Because a random guy who somehow comes into possession of a tape (theft, found it in his grandpa's attic, finally got a conscience after decades of hoarding, whatever) isn't plugged into the network of collectors like (I assume) a bootleg company like EV is.  Hence the trade-off of getting a (somewhat) low amount of cash NOW vs. having to figure out how to strategically market the tape yourself.  

Possibly, but I find that hard to believe. I imagine if they know what they've got (they do, or else they wouldn't even be in touch with EV) they'd at least throw it on eBay for a ridiculously high price just to see if anyone bites. Or reach out to local bootleg retailers to find private buyers. I'd imagine an unreleased soundboard might even get the attention of Page himself, who would probably buy it just to have it destroyed.

My guess is that EV either has a direct connection to a very small group of private collectors who are holding them ransom, or they already have them and are spacing out the releases so the buyers will have time to save up another $300-600.

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Possibly, but I find that hard to believe. I imagine if they know what they've got (they do, or else they wouldn't even be in touch with EV) they'd at least throw it on eBay for a ridiculously high price just to see if anyone bites. Or reach out to local bootleg retailers to find private buyers. I'd imagine an unreleased soundboard might even get the attention of Page himself, who would probably buy it just to have it destroyed.

My guess is that EV either has a direct connection to a very small group of private collectors who are holding them ransom, or they already have them and are spacing out the releases so the buyers will have time to save up another $300-600.

They can't go to eBay because bootlegs are illegal recordings.  And how does one contact local bootleggers?  They don't really advertise, do they?  It would be easier for Page to send his lawyers after such a seller than try to acquire it himself.

I actually agree with your second paragraph:  in the age of easy downloading, bootleg companies HAVE TO rely on some kind of initial, private auction to wealthy collectors to make money, I can see no other way to do it.

12 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

eBay is overrun with bootlegs. Even EV sells there (they're listed as new anyway). 

Point taken, but when I type in things like "Led Zeppelin Detroit 1973" or "Led Zeppelin Seattle 1975" there, I get hits for CDs out of Japan (where I believe bootlegs are legal) or Italy and UK (not sure about their legal status there).  So, apart from being a gray area, someone with a tape is not going to be able to monetize expected future cash flows that way, he's going to have to sell at a discount to people like EV, and that's the main point.

3 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Point taken, but when I type in things like "Led Zeppelin Detroit 1973" or "Led Zeppelin Seattle 1975" there, I get hits for CDs out of Japan (where I believe bootlegs are legal) or Italy and UK (not sure about their legal status there).  So, apart from being a gray area, someone with a tape is not going to be able to monetize expected future cash flows that way, he's going to have to sell at a discount to people like EV, and that's the main point.

I'm still under the belief that EV bought a huge collection from someone years ago and are spacing out the releases. The likelihood of them finding someone who has a reel to reel tape (sound board) hidden away in this age would be inconceivable. It's not like they've got ads in local papers with their phone number.

10 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm still under the belief that EV bought a huge collection from someone years ago and are spacing out the releases. The likelihood of them finding someone who has a reel to reel tape (sound board) hidden away in this age would be inconceivable. It's not like they've got ads in local papers with their phone number.

So you reckon the full Osaka 71 is in EV’s possession? 

Bloody hope so. I love that show 

6 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

So you reckon the full Osaka 71 is in EV’s possession? 

Bloody hope so. I love that show 

I don't know, that whole thing played out very weird. Wouldn't surprise me if they add one more song and release another version.

24 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I agree with you on this.  I initially replied to your skepticism that they would pay as little as 5K for a NEW tape.  I have no idea, but that amount seems reasonable to me.

I don't know, that whole thing played out very weird. Wouldn't surprise me if they add one more song and release another version.

Probably more likely that we will get 2 or 3 singles like last time then a full release if they have the whole thing 

Yes, it definitely played out weird.  My guess is they don't have any more from 9-29.

35 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Yes, it definitely played out weird.  My guess is they don't have any more from 9-29.

Contrary to my initial assumption, it appeared to me like a private hoarder gave EV one song as a ransom wager (Which EV released), then gave another one (which EV released), then gave a bunch more after they convinced EV of what they had (which EV released). Whether or not that was the entirety of what they had to sell is anyone's guess.

What boggles my mind abut EV is that they never, ever give origin info. They don't package the releases with a liner note saying "We found this at an estate sale" or "Someone contacted us about this reel they found in their attic". They just throw it out there like it's nothing really. That makes me much more assured that they have one or two sources that they buy from (old Showco employees), or already have the bulk of material. Let's be honest, a fresh soundboard release of a Led Zeppelin show is a really big fucking deal. Yet they handle it like they're throwing candy out at a Christmas parade. 

Didn't Jimmy say he was robbed of all his soundboards? (or a LOT of them). I thought this is where they come from. So someone is either drip feeding EV/others the tapes, or EV got them as a package deal and are drip feeding us poor slobs. - but all from the theft from Jimmy.

And what about obvious holy grail shows? I cannot believe EV or others would knowingly be holding onto really coveted shows for this long. It would make no business/economic sense to not have released them to a larger pool of potential buyers. Surely anything now to be released is going to make EV/others less money than they would have in recent years??? This is a guess. F_cked if I know but does anyone think different?

I wonder where the LA '77 SB's are.....

16 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Didn't Jimmy say he was robbed of all his soundboards? (or a LOT of them). I thought this is where they come from. So someone is either drip feeding EV/others the tapes, or EV got them as a package deal and are drip feeding us poor slobs. - but all from the theft from Jimmy.

And what about obvious holy grail shows? I cannot believe EV or others would knowingly be holding onto really coveted shows for this long. It would make no business/economic sense to not have released them to a larger pool of potential buyers. Surely anything now to be released is going to make EV/others less money than they would have in recent years??? This is a guess. F_cked if I know but does anyone think different?

I wonder where the LA '77 SB's are.....

to our knowledge, the soundboards that Jimmy was robbed of were the 1973 and 1980 soundboards, the stuff EVSD has turned out apparently come from a different source

1 hour ago, Sue Dounim said:

to our knowledge, the soundboards that Jimmy was robbed of were the 1973 and 1980 soundboards, the stuff EVSD has turned out apparently come from a different source

Aaaaah, thanks Sue, wasn't aware of that!

On 2/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, pluribus said:

The Houston set is labeled as “4 Eyed Freak Remastering”. Can’t make out the other wording on 4/30 or 7/17, but they both say “Remastering” on the back as well. So, looks like it might be a box full of fan remasters. Put that together with the title, and seems like a hefty F.U. from EV.

Got to admit, for as much complaining as people do, this is pretty damn funny. 

Received my copy today. Got no opportunity yet to listen to the set but he, weekend's coming up!

Silverdome, Pontiac : "Edit Rocker 13 Remastering" 30th april 1977

The Summit, Houston: "4-Eyed Freak Remastering" 21st may 1977

Kingdome, Seattle: "Out Runners Remastering".

EVSD was obviously in a hurry, because this one is also labelled 21st May 1977

On the side of the box: Empress Valley Philosophy: "To Buy Or Not To Buy"

On 3/2/2019 at 9:15 PM, Sue Dounim said:

Seems like that really fits with the Showco narrative. 

Maybe, just maybe, EVSD is asking us something:

- “Sitting On A Goldmine”

- A shiny, golden box

- EVSD philisophy: To Buy Or Not To Buy

Is there a tiny possibility they (EVSD) have a chance to buy something really special, but very expensive.

When they sell out all 50 boxes they just might...

They are trolling us. And they probably do have something special, just like they always have. This box is expert level trolling.  “To buy or not to buy” has been a phrase seen over and over and over on this forum, and all the other fan sites out there. EV puts something out and the first responses from silver collectors is usually “Hmmm....to buy or not to buy....”

• 3 years later...