Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Moby_Dick_Ale

Pontiac Silverdome

Recommended Posts

Just read on AirRaid's site: Out on EVSD a 9-disc box containing the 1977 - 04 - 30 Pontiac Silverdome recording, "Sitting on a Goldmine".

Comes with 1977 - 05 - 21 Houston (aka "Dragon Snake" & "Texas Hurricane - 21") and

1977 - 07 - 17 (aka "Year of the Dragon").

So, for a new EVSD issue you have to pay $ 385,-. Who's buying? guess I am...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No shots of the back to indicate what the sources might be. Can anyone translate the Japanese text on the front to English?

DSC01537.JPG

 

Edited by SteveZ98

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, with the name “Sitting On A Gold Mine”, looks like Empress Valley is officially trolling this Forum!

From page 18 of the below thread, from two years ago, in regards to the Houston and Pontiac videos possibly being out there and hoarded...

”The time to sell the tapes was a decade or so ago in the flush of excitement over the O2 reunion, or even earlier when the 2003 official DVD compilation was released. With each passing year, more and more potential buyers die off, shrinking the profit margin for whichever company pays for the tapes. So the hoarders are kidding themselves if they think they are sitting on a goldmine and that the longer they wait the bigger the payoff.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, therocker68 said:

Sources are Soundboard for the Houston and Seattle shows and Audience for the Silverdome show.

So almost US$400 for previously released sources? Seems optimistic on EV's part. I wonder if the Houston show is the standard soundboard or my remaster of it? If anyone picks up this set, can you tell me if Sick Again from the Houston show sounds like the version below? Also, if anyone wants my full remaster of the Houston show, send me a message.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Houston set is labeled as “4 Eyed Freak Remastering”. Can’t make out the other wording on 4/30 or 7/17, but they both say “Remastering” on the back as well. So, looks like it might be a box full of fan remasters. Put that together with the title, and seems like a hefty F.U. from EV.

Got to admit, for as much complaining as people do, this is pretty damn funny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all just fund raising for the next exclusive soundboard release from the mighty Empress Valley Supreme Disc.Should be released around June /July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[SUE DOUNIM EXCLUSIVE]
Fuck you!
EVSD!
Please stop getting my hopes up and actually release a new 77 soundboard!
Pontiac 77 is one of my favorite Zep shows, give us the soundboard!! Give us the video!!!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sue Dounim said:

[SUE DOUNIM EXCLUSIVE]
Fuck you!
EVSD!
Please stop getting my hopes up and actually release a new 77 soundboard!
Pontiac 77 is one of my favorite Zep shows, give us the soundboard!! Give us the video!!!
 

+1 I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sue Dounim said:

[SUE DOUNIM EXCLUSIVE]
Fuck you!
EVSD!
Please stop getting my hopes up and actually release a new 77 soundboard!
Pontiac 77 is one of my favorite Zep shows, give us the soundboard!! Give us the video!!!
 

:hysterical: 

Nice to see you around here, Sue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Let's face it we are a dying breed and while Zeppelin boots will continue there will be far less of us around to enjoy them if they keep rehashing old releases while letting new ones drop once every few years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But what does it really matter to anybody anyway? The EV people have given us so many soundboards, which 99.9% of the people paid zero for. And all the people dreaming of a new soundboard are usually the same people who wouldn’t spend a single cent to get it, even if it was a show that everyone really wanted (how many of you actually bought How The East Wasn’t Won?). Are EV expected to be a charity?  

20 years ago I would’ve KILLED for the soundboards that we have today. There was a time, kiddos, back before the soundboard revolution. It was nothing but gen’d up tapes of unknown origin, with songs deliberately left off, rumors of stuff we never got to hear, people holding on to tapes and refusing to trade, and then paying out the nose for things that ended up being the same stuff you already had.  When things did get around, it would only ever get around to people via these long and painful trees and mail jobs. And still those discs had errors, with the clicks and pops. Oh yeah, and things took FOREVER. 

No affiliation. It just amazes me that, given the sheer volume of treasures that have come from EV alone, that people would still complain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think EV is hurting one bit and as a fan who has bought many vinyls, cds, box sets, (which I have been glad to share) and other trinkets; it's not about what I have or heard it's about what I won't get to hear if they never release it. Being grateful has nothing to do with it and I am not complaining. They are either sitting on the best of what they have or the worst, either way, why is so bad to want to hear what's hasn't been released before I'm either too old to enjoy it or dead.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

I don't think EV is hurting one bit and as a fan who has bought many vinyls, cds, box sets, (which I have been glad to share) and other trinkets; it's not about what I have or heard it's about what I won't get to hear if they never release it. Being grateful has nothing to do with it and I am not complaining. They are either sitting on the best of what they have or the worst, either way, why is so bad to want to hear what's hasn't been released before I'm either too old to enjoy it or dead.

 

 

Prezactly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever your thoughts on how ethical EV are this is intriguing because obviously this set contains the one show that we have video for and two that are rumoured to have video exist for. 

Obviously this is their intention and they most likely don't have the video. If they did why not release a huge set with the video + audio in a box. That would go for mega bucks, who knows maybe that is coming? One can only hope...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the struggle to hear the new. But at that the same time, I wonder that EV’s business model doesn’t actually make sense?  I mean, how often SHOULD they be releasing things? If they were to release complete soundboards every couple months, I bet you a million dollars that most people wouldn’t really be able to keep up the interest, or wouldn’t care, and definitely wouldn’t listen to them more then a few times. Even for those that would buy the silvers, even they wouldn’t be able to afford them all if they came out so quickly. Releasing boards every few months would start to lose money across the board, eat into the sales of competing titles in their catalog, and kill the exclusivity.

Remember, we tend to want more than we actually really listen to on a repeat basis. There are several “gems” that have come out that were quickly forgotten. Fort Worth 75 was a completely unheard show, in soundboard, and got zero appreciation past the second week. Osaka 71 came out after decades of listening to the drum-overloaded one, and it was “Screw this, where’s the rest????”. Even now, a completely unheard non-bootleg/non-hoarded recording comes out, Glasgow 72, and the best that most people can do is “the recording is terrible”.  And that recording is GREAT by bootleg standards. And the show is killer!

The odds of EV releasing a new soundboard within the next 6 months is probably 90%. That alone is insane. I mean, how much better could we have it? If they wanna crank out rehashes and re-releases in between, power to them. Most of those tend to be great too. And just like the soundboards, most people get them for free. Australia 72 box? Awesome. Japan 72 box? Awesome. This is the golden age of Zep bootlegs.

Edited by pluribus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pluribus said:

I agree with the struggle to hear the new. But at that the same time, I wonder that EV’s business model doesn’t actually make sense?  I mean, how often SHOULD they be releasing things? If they were to release complete soundboards every couple months, I bet you a million dollars that most people wouldn’t really be able to keep up the interest, or wouldn’t care, and definitely wouldn’t listen to them more then a few times. Even for those that would buy the silvers, even they wouldn’t be able to afford them all if they came out so quickly. Releasing boards every few months would start to lose money across the board, eat into the sales of competing titles in their catalog, and kill the exclusivity.

Remember, we tend to want more than we actually really listen to on a repeat basis. There are several “gems” that have come out that were quickly forgotten. Fort Worth 75 was a completely unheard show, in soundboard, and got zero appreciation past the second week. Osaka 71 came out after decades of listening to the drum-overloaded one, and it was “Screw this, where’s the rest????”. Even now, a completely unheard non-bootleg/non-hoarded recording comes out, Glasgow 72, and the best that most people can do is “the recording is terrible”.  And that recording is GREAT by bootleg standards. And the show is killer!

The odds of EV releasing a new soundboard within the next 6 months is probably 90%. That alone is insane. I mean, how much better could we have it? If they wanna crank out rehashes and re-releases in between, power to them. Most of those tend to be great too. And just like the soundboards, most people get them for free. Australia 72 box? Awesome. Japan 72 box? Awesome. This is the golden age of Zep bootlegs.

You sure you don't work for EV??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last actual new EVSD-box was "Complete Live in Japan" ("The Campaign"/"The Overture). The ones before were "Deus Ex Machina" and "Ultra Violent Killer Droog".

So  probably (hopefully?) EVSD is trying to make money with all the re-releases to be able to buy something new. A new series of "soundboard revolution" releases coming up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tom kid said:

You sure you don't work for EV??

Nah. Keepin’ it real yo. 

In return for my patronage, if EV wants to send me sample previews of the next soundboard, I will be happy to keep them to myself ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still the same ol' shit around I do see. You must understand that EV won't release new soundboard unless they pay for it. That means they have to gather money to get it. I am also a bit disappointed of seeing another reissue of something that we know for ages but remember this is mainly for Japanese market. Japanese collector's market differs significantly from US or EU markets. Japanese collectors do love collect literally everything and even if the only new thing is the package.

Anyway, I am much amused hearing that someone doesn't want to pay a fuckin' cent for a new board tape but is complaining of how he was banned from torrenting it. You're getting of what you are. It's so simple...

Edited by zepster1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I don’t think anybody knows but the people selling and the people buying. People throw out these enormous figures, but it’s not as if it’s eBay, right? I wouldn’t trust anything that gets posted online. There are way too many people out there pretending to have the inside scoop. Why on earth would anyone disclose it, you know?  If anything, if these things DO really require EV to pay an exorbitant price for each board, then wouldn’t it make sense that they would try to recoup those costs by putting out inexpensive titles in between those high-cost ones? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

I'm curious what type of money are we talking about? If someone had a soundboard of an unreleased show or source, how much would the taper expect to get from EV and other labels? 

In 1995, they were paying $1000 COD for an unreleased audience tape.   So Id guess $5000-$10000 for an unreleased board tape.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×