Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
luvlz2

Robert Plant will release a limited edition version of 'Fate of Nations' for Record Store Day

Robert Plant announced last week that he will release a new limited edition vinyl remaster of his 1993 solo album "Fate of Nations" for Record Store Day on April 13.

The new remaster of the album will be limited to 6,000 copies worldwide and will be pressed on 180g vinyl.

The US Record Store Day website lists just 1,000 copies being made available there.

The listing for the release on the official UK Record Store Day website  gives more information about the albums packaging:

"This special limited edition 180g black vinyl of Fate of Nations is being reissued on Robert Plant's own record label Es Paranza around Earth Day. All profits from the sale of this record will be given to Robert Plant's nominated Environmental charity. The album title and the artwork of the original 1993 is focused on the impacts of geo-politics and globalization  on the earth/Robet's environmental concerns. The outer sleeve will be high end matt soft pack, whilst the inner sleeve will be printed on ethically sourced material and feature updated artwork (Environmental facts from 1993 compared to today's data). This album has not been available on vinyl for 30 years (since the 90's)."

http://ledzepnews.com/2019/03/04/robert-plant-will-release-a-limited-edition-version-of-fate-of-nations-for-record-store-day/

One of his best solo albums.  Interestingly, it will be over 30 minutes per side of vinyl. Does that mean it will be a quieter than most albums?

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2019 at 10:51 AM, dpat said:

One of his best solo albums.  Interestingly, it will be over 30 minutes per side of vinyl. Does that mean it will be a quieter than most albums?

One of my all time favorites from him too, and what an absolutely great live show he and his band put on that tour!

I think it's super cool that the artwork for F.O.N. will be updated to reflect today's times!

Listening to my 1993 vinyl and  I think it sounds excellent.

As to whether a vinyl will sound quieter than most albums that may happen as well as other quality issues.

Would love to see a F.O.N.box set or double vinyl with bonus tracks included.

Edited by luvlz2
clarify

'Fate of Nations' is being issued for rsd as an 'RSD Limited Run/Regional Focus Release' which means it may be a harder than average rsd release to come by in some areas. "With my rsd outlet the Limited Run/Regional Focus Releases are always harder for them to get. Luckily 5000 copies will be released on/near Earth Day.

Posted (edited)

Since the artwork and environmental facts from the inner sleeve have been updated I'd like to post some photos of the inner sleeve of my 1993 vinyl version along with the environmental facts listed with the pictures just for comparison purposes. I wonder just exactly how they have updated it. I will post photos once I get a copy of the updated 2019 version.

26254110_FONinnersleeve.jpg.174226e16027ba0a3c875d9199996f4e.jpg

Interesting inner sleeve, colorful images that pop out at you, the four blocks with the images in each of them, and then you have writing on each side of each photo, which forces you spin the photo around quite a bit to read all the details, I really like the artwork and/or concept of the whole album.

1954438173_FONinnersleeveartworkp1.jpg.6f75e8004887b9453c692a7db6b572bc.jpg

At least 40 tons of radioactive waste were left by the Allied Armies on the Gulf War battlefields.

An estimated 67 million tons of oil went up in smoke due to the Gulf War.

Military budgets currently amount to around one trillion dollars a year, or 2.75 billion dollars a day.

1542847649_FONinnersleeveartworkp2.jpg.0eb8d55eea09c46d93a167ebb66348b9.jpg

In 1978 the Amoco Cadiz went aground off Brittany, releasing 230,000 tons of light crude oil.

Over 200km of the Brittany coast was contaminated during the earlier phase of the incident.

A week later, a further 100km of beach were contaminated and a large part of the beaches already cleaned were recontaminated.

At least 8 tankers were caught using the slick as 'cover' to illegally dump oil.

1178515246_FONinnersleeveartworkp3.jpg.d79b803910629dc023cc514603dd2b00.jpg

More than one fifth of the world's population breathes polluted air.

Babies, elderly people, pregnant women and people who suffer from asthma and other breathing problems are most at risk.

In places that are badly affected by air pollution, cars and other motor vehicles are the main culprit.

The world's population grows by around 1.74% each year- the number of cars grows by nearly 5%.

2091029993_FONinnersleeveartworkp4.jpg.25b15ffbf773c4e7ead12b2fd6a11332.jpg

Pollution released from burning coal, oil and gas has been causing acid rain around the world for well over a century.

Today, pollution from power stations and vehicles is the leading cause of acid rain.

Acid rain has been blamed for the death of whole forests in Europe and North America.

It has caused some lakes in Scandinavia to become a hundred times more acidic in just 2 or 3 years, killing fish and wildlife.

Edited by luvlz2

Posted (edited)

I'm going early to wait in line for RSD this Saturday,  a main deciding factor is "Fate of Nations", hope my store gets one, and thus I get one.

There are others on my list such as:

Ten Years After - The Cap Ferrat Sessions

Allman Brothers Band - Bear's Sonic Journals: Fillmore East 1970

Canned Heat - Remembering Wookstock

Rush - Hemispheres Picture disc

And there are others, but it's really dependent on my wallet, which is not the fattest at the moment.

This is interesting, some "holy grail" records will be stashed in certain record stores for $1: https://vinylradar.com/reverb-lp-hides-1-holy-grail-records-throughout-record-stores-on-record-store-day/

Edited by luvlz2

Posted (edited)

Starting to get pumped for RSD! I have the day off so I can get in line early around 2-3 in the morning. Pumped anytime to pick up vinyl since I recently upgraded my plug-n-spin kit! The weather has been nice and cool here in Phoenix so that will help with waiting in line.

I go to Zia Records, which has a small chain of stores in AZ and NV. Their website lists prices.  it also shows what they will have and it does show that there will be a copy of "Fate of Nations' at my store as well as others! The price is $27.99.

https://www.ziarecords.com/c/1779/rsd-2019/9

Edited by luvlz2

This tour was awesome. My second favorite RP solo album after  principles of moments. Kinda cool RP is keenly aware of the environment of the Earth.

I got in line at 2 am and so I was fourth place in line. I see the same first people come every year for RSD. One person brought lawn chairs and so we all had lawn chairs. We all sat around and talked about our lists, record stores, music, soundtracks, etc.

Something that is a big help is we all let each other know what we're looking for and keeping an eye out and grabbing it if we see it for the other person. We all meet up a designated spot after going through the bins and it works out good that way. I was helped in that way with one of the releases I was looking for, the 'Ten Years After - The Cap Ferrat Sessions'.

I was able to get Robert Plant's Fate of Nations! Although I did not read any information on the album artwork about the music being recently remastered when I played the album it sounded absolutely fresh, as if it had been remastered. Sounded excellent!

Posted (edited)

Changes I noticed:

1. Although I didn't read any information on the album about it being recently remastered, when I played the album it sounded excellent, as if it had been recently remastered, Absolutely sounded like the first time I heard it, fresh!

2. With the updated version the pictures with the kids in them are all right side up, whereas in the original version the pictures are in all different directions (see photos).

3. Environmental facts are not written around all sides of each individual picture like the original version, but with the updated version the environmental facts are only written around the outside edge of all four pictures (see photos).

4. The picture on the record sleeve of Robert Plant with his fingers around his eyes is smaller than the original version's picture.

5. The record sleeve color has changed to black and white, whereas the original had grey, black, white and orange.

6. Mixing credits are more detailed, giving mixing credits to Michael Gregovich specifically for Tracks 8,9 and 11.

7. Environmental facts have been updated;  In original version there was a photo and facts about the 1978 Amoco Cardiz Oil Spill, whereas with the new version there are facts and a photo of the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. There are other changes also with the environmental facts.

1720144144_FONinnersleeve.jpg.763c647b8685627b1590575623fd0a4e.jpg2083334454_UFONInnerSleeve.jpg.9b5e2c98f11d16a3dbf22e2f44d68279.jpg

2088137140_FONinnersleeve2.jpg.2b40aec08756dc7a3fe2d8d338baf091.jpg973797841_UFONinnersleevep2.jpg.594ce0d5ce2418c938ed38c2935424ec.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

On 3/8/2019 at 10:51 AM, dpat said:

Though the 2019 version does not, the 1993 original version does have this note in the print:

"So as to get as many tracks on this vinyl edition as there are on the CD we had to master at a slightly lower level than usual. Be not afraid to stand heavy on the loud pedal."

1970437657_R.P.F.O.N.vinylmastering.thumb.jpg.7a825c016157a73adb213a4c1227a89a.jpg

Posted (edited)

1573155540_RobertPlant-FateoFNations2019RSDEARTHDAYRELEASE.jpg.9ab030a4b0b80c634a18b79925def3f9.jpg

1786877600_RobertPlant-FateofNationsbackcover2019rsdearthdayrekease.jpg.765f0cba102c215bc728398f6c2706e2.jpg

Please excuse my poor photography.

Edited by luvlz2

On 4/7/2019 at 9:23 PM, luvlz2 said:

Since the artwork and environmental facts from the inner sleeve have been updated I'd like to post some photos of the inner sleeve of my 1993 vinyl version along with the environmental facts listed with the pictures just for comparison purposes. I wonder just exactly how they have updated it. I will post photos once I get a copy of the updated 2019 version.

26254110_FONinnersleeve.jpg.174226e16027ba0a3c875d9199996f4e.jpg

Interesting inner sleeve, colorful images that pop out at you, the four blocks with the images in each of them, and then you have writing on each side of each photo, which forces you spin the photo around quite a bit to read all the details, I really like the artwork and/or concept of the whole album.

1954438173_FONinnersleeveartworkp1.jpg.6f75e8004887b9453c692a7db6b572bc.jpg

At least 40 tons of radioactive waste were left by the Allied Armies on the Gulf War battlefields.

An estimated 67 million tons of oil went up in smoke due to the Gulf War.

Military budgets currently amount to around one trillion dollars a year, or 2.75 billion dollars a day.

1542847649_FONinnersleeveartworkp2.jpg.0eb8d55eea09c46d93a167ebb66348b9.jpg

In 1978 the Amoco Cadiz went aground off Brittany, releasing 230,000 tons of light crude oil.

Over 200km of the Brittany coast was contaminated during the earlier phase of the incident.

A week later, a further 100km of beach were contaminated and a large part of the beaches already cleaned were recontaminated.

At least 8 tankers were caught using the slick as 'cover' to illegally dump oil.

1178515246_FONinnersleeveartworkp3.jpg.d79b803910629dc023cc514603dd2b00.jpg

More than one fifth of the world's population breathes polluted air.

Babies, elderly people, pregnant women and people who suffer from asthma and other breathing problems are most at risk.

In places that are badly affected by air pollution, cars and other motor vehicles are the main culprit.

The world's population grows by around 1.74% each year- the number of cars grows by nearly 5%.

2091029993_FONinnersleeveartworkp4.jpg.25b15ffbf773c4e7ead12b2fd6a11332.jpg

Pollution released from burning coal, oil and gas has been causing acid rain around the world for well over a century.

Today, pollution from power stations and vehicles is the leading cause of acid rain.

Acid rain has been blamed for the death of whole forests in Europe and North America.

It has caused some lakes in Scandinavia to become a hundred times more acidic in just 2 or 3 years, killing fish and wildlife.

It was printed in the 1993 version of Fate of Nations that the environmental facts listed were courtesy of Friends of the Earth and gave their address, as well as the address of Greenpeace. No such affiliations printed in the 2019 version. Good for Robert Plant for donating all the proceeds from the sale of this album to an Environmental charity of his choice. Here's the new photos and environmental facts:

1963738098_UFONinnersleevep1.jpg.4c4dc99a15512755bc7f264171f0606f.jpg

According to the World Health Organization, 9 out of 10 people around the world breathe polluted air. An alarming 7 million people die each year from air pollution, with levels remaining dangerously high in many parts of the world.

377935673_UFONinnersleevep2.jpg.fe2c2804c53aa93df2cced6413b9722c.jpg

Plastics are estimated to represent almost 80% of the total marine debris floating in the world's oceans. On average 46,000 pieces of plastic are swirling in each square mile of our oceans and has been found as deep as 11km, meaning microplastics have contaminated even the most remote places on earth.

1931832007_UFONinnersleevep3.jpg.29850580ba269fd81089667fd2bdff51.jpg

The environment has long been a silent casualty of war. During armed-conflict, the environment suffers from neglect, exploitation, human desperation and deliberate abuse on a terrible scale. Oil wells have been set on fire, water wells have been polluted, crops torched, forests cut down, soils poisoned, and animals killed to gain military advantage.

1833747330_UFONinnersleevep4.jpg.9e6537d0235afb839186d37d26a3be28.jpg

The Deepwater Horizon oil spill is widely recognized to be the largest in history. An estimated 53,000 barrels poured into the Gulf of Mexico daily over three months, extensively damaging the marine environment. According to the Centre for Biological Diversity, the oil spill killed over 82,000 birds, 25,900 marine mammals, 6,000 sea turtles and tens of thousands of fish.

Posted (edited)

Robert Plant - Fate of Nations album cover closeup.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

Wondering if it is the 2007 remaster, I'm guessing it probably is...

On 4/23/2019 at 1:22 PM, luvlz2 said:

Wondering if it is the 2007 remaster, I'm guessing it probably is...

As I lost my disc from the 1993 version, would it be worth picking up a copy of the remaster....?

1 hour ago, Cecil. said:

As I lost my disc from the 1993 version, would it be worth picking up a copy of the remaster....?

Absolutely Cecil,, it sounds excellent!