Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
SamoKodela

Supposed weak points of Led Zeppelin and why they don't matter

Posted (edited)

You can add your own thoughts or probably thoughts of people that were telling you these things along the way. Anyway, it's not to prove Zeppelin are perfect and some things are just a matter of taste. It's just a discussion.

1. Plant's voice.

It can be a bit annoying at times to some and it certainly declined, but what is a great voice without character and therefore not for absolutely everyone and Plant always found new ways to expres himself even with the change.

2. Technical skill.

Yeah they are not shredders, heck they are not even Deep Purple in that regard and they declined, but they were damn good and most importantly very expresive, improvisational and varied.

3. They stole music.

They stole little actually and added so much, both in substance and style.

4. They were overindulgent live musically.

They could actually improvise really well live, if you like that kind of stuff, they could really compose their jams and follow each other and who cares if they let loose lenght wise, as long as they could write songs like Tangerine and Ten years gone.

5. They had repetitive song structures and approaches. 

They actually had all sorts of approaches to a degree and song styles and lots of overdubbs and instruments colours and sections and genres and each album had a new approach altogether while being Zeppelin.

6. Lifestyle

It doesn't matter for the music and that's how the times were, but yeah, we could be more proud of them, if they would do less certain things, which could still mostly be described as fun, as long as the playing wouldn't decline, but there were great shows even at latter tours and the whole event saved the show sometimes.

7. Misogyny

I don't think that a few songs, that describe a negative relationship with a particular woman, mean they were misogynistic. 

8. They lacked melody

They had a few very strong pop songs, they had their own style of vocal melody and many times the guitar was the hook! 

9. They had no message

There were a few songs that were quite an exception: Friends, That's the way, Stairway, The Rover, Sick again and there were a few exceptional love songs like Ten years gone, plus there is Plant's solo carrer, so shut up!

Edited by SamoKodela

Posted (edited)

Weak points, what !!!!! As for 9 why did they need a message, nah you're way off Samo, well overthinking it. 

Edited by JTM

18 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

And which part of the forum is for overthinking then, sorry?!

Ya made me lol. Thanks. Great line. 

Posted (edited)

No weak points.  They are Final Boss.  The top level of the game.  You need Godmode to beat them and it will end in a draw.

Edited by Canadianzepper

On 3/6/2019 at 10:23 AM, SamoKodela said:

They were overindulgent live musically

I'll take a 30 minute drum solo over any extended jam the Grateful Dead did.

It's very common to want to knock heroes off their pedestals!  I was a Zep fan back-in-the-day and they got nothing but grief from critics and hipsters. Each one of those criticisms you mentioned were leveled at our favorite band, and quite unfairly as you point out.  Everyone wanted to be the one who predicted the fall of the Mighty Zeppelin.  Yet many years later, the band's legacy stands firm...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Yes Bonham was so inventive, varied and never really boring even in 1977, but when the other two jam along you can really see the difference to other bands!

Edited by SamoKodela

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Althought it's certainly a discussion about Zeppelin being great in all those points, rather than no one else being good at them too and better at some, although not for us fans.

On 3/6/2019 at 3:23 PM, SamoKodela said:

3. They stole music.

They stole little actually and added so much, both in substance and style.

Really? Have you never heard the CD "The roots of Led Zeppelin" I was shocked they nicked Nobody's Fault But Mine

5 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Really? Have you never heard the CD "The roots of Led Zeppelin" I was shocked they nicked Nobody's Fault But Mine

Mostly limited to Zep I and II and even there mostly to little parts of songs. And things like Babe Im gonna leave you and Dazed have got so much added and Whole lotta love has got all the instrumental parts original, the same with Nobody's fault but mine.

It's not even remotely as much stolen as some of the CD's and videos would like to imply, but some things should be credited.

Things like little parts of lyrics in How many more times or Rock and roll intro or the mood and a few lines from Moby Grapes Never for SIBLY just don't count.

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Hi Chill,

How did they nick NFBM? Sure, some of the lyrics are the same as Robert Johnson's Hellhound on My Trail but the music itself is 100% original. I guess in a purist sense parts were nicked but IMO it's original.

Not to diverge too much from the topic, but I never understood the admiration for Robert Johnson. I can't stand his whiney-assed voice and he plays the exact same progressions on just about every song. Why RJ get's so much love when people such as Son House, Memphis Minnie, Bessie Smith, and Leadbelly were on the scene long before RJ and were much better musicians is beyond me.

49 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Hi Chill,

How did they nick NFBM? Sure, some of the lyrics are the same as Robert Johnson's Hellhound on My Trail but the music itself is 100% original. I guess in a purist sense parts were nicked but IMO it's original.

Not to diverge too much from the topic, but I never understood the admiration for Robert Johnson. I can't stand his whiney-assed voice and he plays the exact same progressions on just about every song. Why RJ get's so much love when people such as Son House, Memphis Minnie, Bessie Smith, and Leadbelly were on the scene long before RJ and were much better musicians is beyond me.

Just before he had his first shot ;) . Zeppelin gave it their own shot thought, making their own original music to it and quite a few original verses.

1. Plant's voice. : early on, when he mimicked JP's guitar exactly; magic.    Like the way he describes about singing with Alison Krause recently he said he'd never sung without a mic before.  Yeah he evolves eh and seems a happy chap

2. Technical skill.  I thought it was meant to be feel.   See a lot of arguments about who is the greatest band and all .. still checking it all out

3. They stole music.   There's Ronnie Wood talking about Beck, and how everyone would be going heard this riff; and that Beck's still does that.    There does seem to be a bit of well i arranged it so the copyright's mine sort of thing.   In art; that would have the title like "After" before the name of the work.

4. They were overindulgent live musically.   I thought that was the point of it, that they were playing different every night.

5. They had repetitive song structures and approaches. Others say they changed all the time

6. Lifestyle  Everyone's toned down now : everyone was doing it

7. Misogyny Yeah this did get me a bit.   I can distinctly remember sitting down on the carpet near the parents stereo with the orange cover, with headphones on; hearing some lyric and being absolutely gutted; we'd come from England and were already traumatised from being ripped away from home.  I banned them for most of my life; but hehe up this end of the life who gives a fuk really - just feel for youngies who got hit by it like i did and also with the refugee catastrophes my lack of home paled to insignificance

8. They lacked melody : disagree in terms what you often hear instead when there isn't a recognisable tune is the relationship between notes

9. They had no message  : i sort of think the message was the music

Edited yesterday at 02:30 AM by SamoKodela

11 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Hi Chill,

How did they nick NFBM?

I think Samo covered that one ;)