New website/ live Zeppelin?

strombringer101

Since 2018 was the anniversary of Led Zeppelin and all we got was a book and some Van shoes, (lame) when is Jimmy page starting this website that is all live Zeppelin? I’ve heard to many bootlegs and sorry 90% are unlistenable. I know some say “put your bootleg ears on” whatever that means? Well I’ve tried and the sound of muffled tin box sound doesn’t work. Led Zeppelin was a live band to experience their shows were amazing if you were lucky enough to see them. I wasn’t. So I had to rely on Bootlegs, or official stuff. So does anyone know when this website will come to life? 

Nobody knows.

As for “bootleg ears”, yeah most boots require some effort to enjoy, but the phenomenon isn’t unique to bootlegs.

Ever try watching a VHS tape or an old TV anytime in the past few years? Or put an old cassette into a tape deck? Or listen to AM radio stations? Or played an old Atari or Nintendo video game? Based on today’s expectations, those “old” formats are now considered HORRIBLE. Yet, there were decades worth of people who partied the night away listening/watching/playing on those formats. 

Some of the really muffled boots, like  Bath 70, sound better through my iphone than through speakers. When I was a kid in the 80s, boots were hard to come by, so if I got one, I listened to it. Period. I noticed that my ears would adjust somewhat to the boot after listening to a few songs and I could hear it better. The ones I have a problem with are the ones where the mix or balance of volume between the instruments is way off. That's tough for me, especially if the guitar is too quiet while the drums and keywords are too loud. I also dread the super dry soundboards. Yuck. Not a lot of fun to listen to.

On 3/9/2019 at 12:54 PM, Christopher Lees said:

Some of the really muffled boots, like  Bath 70, sound better through my iphone than through speakers. When I was a kid in the 80s, boots were hard to come by, so if I got one, I listened to it. Period. I noticed that my ears would adjust somewhat to the boot after listening to a few songs and I could hear it better. The ones I have a problem with are the ones where the mix or balance of volume between the instruments is way off. That's tough for me, especially if the guitar is too quiet while the drums and keywords are too loud. I also dread the super dry soundboards. Yuck. Not a lot of fun to listen to.

So true. My ears has adjusted to the "audience sourced' recordings over the years, and I'm used to the less than perfect sound but I view these records in terms of their historical nature, and as a snapshot of what the band was doing musically on stage at the time. I've always liked the early years of the band performances (1968 - 1972), I really don't care much for their live performances from 1973 onward. I always thought it was a shame there wasn't more "soundboard" or FM sourced recordings from the early years. There's so many dry soundboards from the years 1973, 1975, 1977, etc., but these are from the years when the band was entering a decline in live performances IMO. I'm extremely skeptical that Jimmy Page will make whatever's left in the vaults in terms of unheard live recordings or even better quality recordings of what's available in the "bootleg" arena available to fans. But I hope I'm wrong. Only time will tell...

I’m hoping JP (sometime soon) will get someone known for working well with mixing/ mastering boots and release them in batches (once he listens, gives approval and others sign off on them, as needed). 

R😎🎸👍

534C8A66-22DA-4E84-B5D4-D7B89BA15730.jpeg

Not expecting Page to come thru on this...

Luckily for me, some of the shittiest sounding bootlegs are some of my favorites to listen to.  Been honing my "bootleg ears" almost daily since the early 90's.

So when I do decide to pull out a 75 board, or a Millard source, it sounds absolutely pristine.

Then it's back to one of those early killer shows with "below average" sound, which I honestly enjoy the shit out of listening to.  The more recent Bath tape is one of my favs.

It is possible Page has a ton of early boards that he could release, is that right?? So there is a wealth of previously unheard in good sound quality stuff to put out. If no, why bother?

If yes, AMAZEBALLS!!!

7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

It is possible Page has a ton of early boards that he could release, is that right?? So there is a wealth of previously unheard in good sound quality stuff to put out. If no, why bother?

If yes, AMAZEBALLS!!!

Sorry man. Wrong. To achieve a good sound quality you would have to multi track it. Expensive at the the time. Tapes would naturally degrade also. The one bit that frustrates me over the years is the lack of film from the Iceland show. That little snippet on the DVD of Dazed. Where is the rest?

4 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Sorry man. Wrong. To achieve a good sound quality you would have to multi track it. Expensive at the the time. Tapes would naturally degrade also. The one bit that frustrates me over the years is the lack of film from the Iceland show. That little snippet on the DVD of Dazed. Where is the rest?

yeah, I realise multi's are what studios use to release, but soundboards given a studio treatment by engineers is the next best (and only) option. While far from perfect, if a lot of sounboards were to be made available after being thoroughly worked through, I still think it could be fantastic. But that optimism is ahead of realistic expectation I must admit....

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

yeah, I realise multi's are what studios use to release, but soundboards given a studio treatment by engineers is the next best (and only) option. While far from perfect, if a lot of sounboards were to be made available after being thoroughly worked through, I still think it could be fantastic. But that optimism is ahead of realistic expectation I must admit....

The Dead have released hundreds of soundboards that have been cleaned up... It's not like it can't be done. The fact that here is no official release of an epic NQ from anywhere from 1975-1979 is criminal. 

Clean up some of the top shows from '77, in all of their bombastic, over the top glory. it will remind people that at one point Zeppelin ruled the world. 

If the Stones can release a show from '75 when Richards was at the height of addiction and Jagger was obviously out of it on Coke/booze then surely Jimmy and the lads can do the same. Just listen to Happy from that release, they are all over the place, Keith missing cues etc. But all in all it is a hot show and you can almost hear the booze and coke soaking through your speakers. Takes me to a time that I never got to experience myself as I was only born in 1990.

Sure the boots are good for this but only people 'in the know' get to hear the boots, and there are some amazing remasters out there but imagine what some professional engineers with a large budget could do. Put some stuff out there in the mainstream! 

I know I am dreaming, and this will likely never eventuate while the band members are still around. But it is a crying shame that there is so much potential and a wealth of material there and all we get are rehashes of the same releases every few years. The streaming site will be like Jimmy's solo album and tour, ie a fantasy that will never happen.

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I've wondered abut this since I saw the DVD. The stuff showing the crowds outside the venue / at the airport could be tv news, but the shot from the side of the stage? That has to be Super 8 from Richard Cole or someone similar.

In fact, Cole's archive of photos and film must be untapped surely: most of the photos I've seen in recent books credited as "Richard Cole Collection" were previously unknown or unseen. You're not telling me there aren't tons more, and perhaps video too. Come on Ricardo, it's the 50th, do an exhibition or something!

50 minutes ago, 76229 said:

I've wondered abut this since I saw the DVD. The stuff showing the crowds outside the venue / at the airport could be tv news, but the shot from the side of the stage? That has to be Super 8 from Richard Cole or someone similar.

In fact, Cole's archive of photos and film must be untapped surely: most of the photos I've seen in recent books credited as "Richard Cole Collection" were previously unknown or unseen. You're not telling me there aren't tons more, and perhaps video too. Come on Ricardo, it's the 50th, do an exhibition or something!

Peter Grant sent a film crew to document it. He didn't go himself. I always thought it was part of a project which also included the Bath Festival a month or so later. Where is the rest of the film??? it looked amazing

Kevin Sherliry who did the official Zeppelin DVD back in 05 I believe said he went through all the other audio recordings  especially 77’ tour and said the shows were not good performances so nothing will be done with them. 

Why does he get to choose?

25 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Not just that one either - but mainly that one... lol.

Birmingham, Fort Worth, the second Cleveland show, Pontiac, Atlanti, pretty much the whole of the MSG run, the whole of the LA run. Hell, even Cincinnati has it's moments, and you get Lady Madonna in NQ, it's an underrated AUD recording too. I could actually talk about Cincinati for a while, a shame the recordings are incomplete. I think it may just be one of the best outro solos of NQ ever. Landover 30/05/77 ain't bad either, same with Houston. There is plenty of release worthy material from '77, multi-tracks or no multi-tracks.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:29 PM, strombringer101 said:

Kevin Sherliry who did the official Zeppelin DVD back in 05 I believe said he went through all the other audio recordings  especially 77’ tour and said the shows were not good performances so nothing will be done with them. 

Why does he get to choose?

Shirley  is  not  a  trustworthy  person. He  made  a  bad  remix  of  the  MSG  '73  multitracks  (Johnesy's  bass  and  Bonham's  kickdrum  are  too  low  in  the  mix, compared  to  the  original  1976  version.) He  also  did  a  bad  job  with  the  drum  sound  on  the  HTWWW  tapes. And  finally, those  awful  video  effects  on  Earl's  Court  video, constant  camera  changes  and  useless  inserts. MSG  '73  video  of  OTHAFA  suffers  from  the  same  thing. I  will  never  believe  that  Shirley  listened  to  soundboard  recordings  from  Cleveland, Pontiac, Birmingham, Baton  Rouge, Greensboro, New  York  and  Los  Angeles  and  didn't  like  the  performances. I  believe  he  just  didn't  like  the  dry  soundboard  sound  and  said  that. 

Archived