Meeting JPJ

endorasmask

I met JPJ at the House of Blues while he was touring for the Zooma album in 2000. His performance was stunning. You can't imagine how talented JPJ is until you see him take the "spotlight" and do his magic. It makes you realize that the reason Zep was so great was because of the extreme talent each individual possessed. As he walked out onto the stage, you could hear a pin drop (that's how quiet the room became). Before he could speak into the mic to say "hello, good evening" , I yelled out "John Paul your the fuckin' MAN!!!" and the crowd went nuts. Everyone knew what they were about to witness was special, rare and a one time chance to see a true master of an instrument or should I say instruments...Throughout the show he played his famous triple neck acoustic from the Zep era (Ten Years Gone) 4,6, and 8 string bass, pedal steel guitar, slide guitar, synthesizers and mandolin. He did versions of No Quarter, When the Levee Breaks, Black Dog which he used the slide guitar to mimick the words of the song, as his band played the main riff. It was inbelievable. I was determined to meet him along with my brother and three friends. We sat outside the House of Blues after the show for a good 3 hours and the crowd of about 100 people started to get anxious. Out of nowhere the door opened and out came JPJ with a small group of people. He politely signed autographs, guitars, memorabilia, posters, etc etc. He was very kind, soft spoken and a pure gentleman. I took a few pics with him and I simply said to him,"great show John Paul, that was fabulaous and the solo album is tremendous as well, great to see you out here again". As I asked him to sign a copy of my ZOSO magazine. He took a second look and said, "where did you get this from...? god, how old was I in this picture." I replied, "That is a pic from 75' before a show in Chicago"..He look amazed when he saw the pic. After signing a few more things, he slipped into the darkness unrecognized. But we knew what had just taken place and exactly who that guy was....!

scan0002.jpg

pretty awesome.

priceless opportunity.

I remember how surprised I was to discover he produced Independent Worm Saloon by The Butthole Surfers.

It really opened my eyes to the fact that he wasn't "lost in the past" but actively participating in new and varied projects. Kinda shattered some misconceptions/assumptions that were common at the time (early to mid 90s).

I have met john paul jones twice in seattle. once on the Zooma tour and once when he was with the mutual admiration society. The first time I met him I was out in front of the venue about 6 hours before the show . I was looking through the door trying to see in when a guy walked up and opened the door he held it for a minute and asked if I was coming in. I said no and as the door was closing My jaw dropped it was JPJ being an absolute gentleman.I saw the show, musically better than any robert or page/ plant show I have seen and Ive seen quite a few. After the show he came out and signed a hand drawn picture of him off of Zep 3. I have met Robert 5 times and it is always great but JPJ seemed so flattered that people came to see him.The drawing I have is really done well and he seemed genuinely nerviuos about where he should sign it. I told him right across the face and he did it. JPJ was zeppelin as far as I am concerned. If you seen the Zooma tour you now what i mean.Jimmy is the killer riff, the punchy riff ,robert is the sexual energy bonham was the power and JPJ was everything beautiful. Everything that was arranged perfectly.The organ on the beginning of Stairway is so beautiful go listen to it right now and realize that that organ makes that song.go listen to Kashmir and think what it would be w/o JPJ.black dog is a JPJ riff. The man is God. I was a Robert fan # 1 until Zooma came out and I saw him live.JPJ is my favorite.Go to johnpauljones.com and look at his biography it lists everyone he worked with. He was the British invasion B FINGERS !!!!!!!

JPJ is a very approachable kind of guy. Very pleasant and willing to chat with anyone if he has the time.

I too met him in Pasadena Md....during..and after the second of two shows i saw him in 2000. The first night at Jaxx in Springfield Va.

At the Pasadena show he walked out on stage with the band, stepped up to the mic...and the mic was set about a ft too tall for him and he started laughing and standing on his toes and joked about being the shortest in the band.....all the while he was having trouble loosening the shaft on the mic stand and me being right in front of him reached up and loosened it, lowered it to his mouth and tightened ut back up. He said thanks and joked "you want a job?".

After the concert he stood by the door of his tourbus for about an hour as fans lined up w/ Zep stuff for him to sign. He was cordial as always, but seemed not overly enthused. (this was also just a few shows away from the end of the tour and he was probably tired) By the time I got to him...he looked up, smiled and said Thanks again....I guess he was used to seeing my face just a few ft in front of him two nights in a row. :P After seeing people with nothing but Zep stuff to sign, and Zep questions to ask, I decided to stick to the now so I asked about wrapping up the tour and his overall thoughts on it. Also asked about working with Fripp and DGM. And what seemed to make his day the most was not only asking him to sign my copy of Zooma, but asking him if he could get the rest of the band to sign as well. He yelled back in the tour bus, "guys, see, someone want's your autograph too!" He was laughing. I said thank you, shook his hand and then proceeded to talk with Hugh Manson...his guitar builder/road tech. (I also met him the night before at the merch table)

here's pics of the Pasadena show, ticket stubbs, signed cd, and business card given to me by Hugh Manson.

http://danvollmer.fotopic.net/c231685.html

and the kicker...I just found out a few days ago that video from this show exists...and have already seen myself and several friends in screen caps of it. :P (I should be getting a copy soon, thanks to a gracious member here on the board!)

True story. JPJ is my favorite Zep. I was in a restaurant in Chicago where he was in before playing the House of Blues. I went to use the bathroom and when i was finish in the urinal, i Zipped up and turned around, Just then, JPJ and I bumped shoulders when he was heading to the Exact same urinal. Now i Knew who it was immediately. We both said excuse me, but that was it. I knew it would be extremely rude to say something in the bathroom or to even wait outside of the bathroom, so i turned around washed my hands and left. I was using the bathroom because we were leaving. I did make sure by asking the Matrie D if that was him. he said yes, i told him the story, and he said he was finishing up his dinner so maybe i should wait outside. I waited a little bit outside, He finally came out and i introduce myself to him and he said" Was that you in the bathroom". I said yes and told him i thought it was rude to acknowledge him in the bathroom. Then he said "good call". We had talked for about two min after wards about his new album and how much i looked up to him as a Musician.

I said yes and told him i thought it was rude to acknowledge him in the bathroom. Then he said "good call".

Good to see someone hasn't forgotten what good manners mean. I would never approach someone in a restaurant while they were actually eating (only afterwards) and you were so right not to talk to him in the urinals.

Good manners are easy to work out, put yourself in the other person's shoes...If you were famous and out in public, and getting hassled all day, when would you want some peace and quiet? Certainly in the toilets, and you woudn't want to shake hands with the grubby people while eating would you?

Well done...

P.S. how big is his willy?

Archived