New EVSD soundboard?

ZepHead315

On 4/12/2019 at 9:07 PM, porgie66 said:

I hate to say but the suspense is boring the shit outta me. What a lackluster Bootleg Anniversary, let alone the official 50th. Lame. 

Agreed!

On 4/13/2019 at 4:51 PM, ZepHead315 said:

A user on Royal Orleans said they went to the store where the song was playing. He asked the person working there if they had any additional info and they said they didn't. Only that they thought it was from 1975. No idea as to when it will be released. Looks like we're still back at square one.

Damn, ok, well at least "probably '75" is something...fingers crossed for second Long Beach or Philly!

I hope it’s not another 75 or 77’ show.

the set list in 77’ is alright but a 25 minute version of No quarter is a joke. I’ve listened to many different concerts of the 77’ tour and I just find that part of the show boring as hell. Furthermore when did Led Zeppelin become a Jazz band? I always found it a shame that they didn’t play more off  Presence, drop Moby Dick, since I’ve been loving you, no quarter, Battle of ..., then replace those songs with Hots on for no where, Electric version of Gallows poll, poor Tom. By the 1977 Led Zeppelin live wasn’t the best, Pink Floyd In the flesh tour was the shows to see. 

ED719A04-61B9-4BAA-A759-6FDC818BE87F.png

3 hours ago, strombringer101 said:

the set list in 77’ is alright but a 25 minute version of No quarter is a joke. I’ve listened to many different concerts of the 77’ tour and I just find that part of the show boring as hell. Furthermore when did Led Zeppelin become a Jazz band? I always found it a shame that they didn’t play more off  Presence, drop Moby Dick, since I’ve been loving you, no quarter, Battle of ..., then replace those songs with Hots on for no where, Electric version of Gallows poll, poor Tom. By the 1977 Led Zeppelin live wasn’t the best, Pink Floyd In the flesh tour was the shows to see. 

I  dare  you  tell  this  to  all  the  people  who  saw  them  live  in  '77. They  were  untouchable, better  than  everyone  at  the  time. You  simply  weren't  there, you  judge  by  the  bootlegs  which  is  not  fair. (Strider, where  are  you?)

Not going to debate the subject when many fans of Led Zeppelin have already long said in this form that the 1977 tour was by far the worst in Zeppelin other wise stellar performances. Robert Plant has even stated himself that tour was a grind ( paraphrasing)  The over indulgence of drugs and alcohol consumed Jimmy and Bonham. Yeah their is a handful of some great shows but nothing compared to their 1971 tour, both in US and Europe. John Paul Jones has said in many interviews that he hated the stadium shows, the whole thing was a spectacle of “Cool” compared to a concert of Amazing Led Zeppelin live. 

If it is a 77 board (which seems unlikely based on what we've heard but who knows), then my hope is for Greensboro, Baton Rouge, any of the NY shows, any of the LA shows (preferably one of the two non-Millard ones), Pontiac, or any show we haven't heard yet.

I've always had a soft spot for the 77 tour. Jimmy's a shadow of his former self, sure, and Jonesy's Alembic sounds awful and twangy (especially on the boards). But Robert is miles better than he was in 75 and most of 73 and Bonzo is killing it most nights. Add to that the visual extravagance of it, the setlist, and the fact that it was their biggest ever tour. It's Zeppelin in all of their majestic, excessive, over the top, crazy, coked out glory. I can definitely understand why others hate it, but I don't mind it (minus one or two truly awful performances like Tempe and a couple of the Landover shows).

15 hours ago, strombringer101 said:

the 1977 tour was by far the worst in Zeppelin other wise stellar performances.

The existence of the 1980 tour says otherwise. :D

In all seriousness, Jimmy being fucked up is one thing, but having both Jimmy AND Bonzo being fucked up? No thank you.

2 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

I've always had a soft spot for the 77 tour. Jimmy's a shadow of his former self, sure, and Jonesy's Alembic sounds awful and twangy (especially on the boards). But Robert is miles better than he was in 75 and most of 73 and Bonzo is killing it most nights. Add to that the visual extravagance of it, the setlist, and the fact that it was their biggest ever tour. It's Zeppelin in all of their majestic, excessive, over the top, crazy, coked out glory. I can definitely understand why others hate it, but I don't mind it (minus one or two truly awful performances like Tempe and a couple of the Landover shows).

In a 2008 interview with Uncut magazine, Robert Plant spoke of the 1977 tour: “By 1977, I was 29, just prior to Karac’s passing, and that sort of wild energy that was there in the beginning had come to the point where we were showboating a bit. Unfortunately, we had no choice. We were on tours where places were going ape-shit. There was no way of containing the energy in those buildings. It was insane. And we became more and more victims of our own success. And the whole deal about the goldfish bowl and living in it, that kicked in”.

9 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

In a 2008 interview with Uncut magazine, Robert Plant spoke of the 1977 tour: “By 1977, I was 29, just prior to Karac’s passing, and that sort of wild energy that was there in the beginning had come to the point where we were showboating a bit. Unfortunately, we had no choice. We were on tours where places were going ape-shit. There was no way of containing the energy in those buildings. It was insane. And we became more and more victims of our own success. And the whole deal about the goldfish bowl and living in it, that kicked in”.

Karac's death and the events that followed have definitely colored Robert's perception of that tour. None of what he said is really wrong, but the same could be said for 1975 and even (arguably) parts of 1973. But like I said before, I love how crazy, wild and over the top the 77 tour is, even though I completely get why it's not others' cup of tea.

Zeppelin in 77 was like Muhammad Ali in 77. Still the world champions but just a shadow of their former selves, albeit with moments of genius flashing through here and there. Although the members of Zeppelin were still very young in 77, being between 29 and 33 years old or so, there's still no way to fake the genuineness of the youthful exuberance they displayed between 69-73. They got lazy, they were doing too much dope, drinking too much and screwing around too much.

People talk about whatever happened to Robert's voice after 72, but I think Jimmy's playing suffered a decline just as steep, if not more. Robert did recover some voice in 77, but he still sounded like he was shouting a lot rather than singing, and I don't really go for that. If Plant still sang in 77 like he did in 71, then we could handle Jimmy slopping around. Likewise, if Jimmy kept improving like he did from 68-73, then 77 would be really interesting even if Plant still had his vocal troubles. But with both of them in post Thrilla in Manila mode, it makes 77-80 difficult for a true fan. It takes a special talent as a fan and listener to learn not to be majorly disappointed with 77-80 gigs, and indeed even 75 gigs. One has to really be of the mind to look for the silver lining in the dark cloud to find a way to appreciate most of the shows in 77-80 (and 75).

If Jimmy wasn't a heroin addict and had the character and drive to practice his guitar all the time, like a professional musician should, from 73 onward, he would have easily maintained his killer technique and overall feel from Europe 73 and MSG 73, but instead, he got rich, spoiled and lazy, and the playing showed. It's part of being human, all too human as Nietzsche might say.

Plant couldn't help his voice giving out I don't think. It's not like he was lazy so his voice turned to shit. It's just that there was some kind of physical problem. It's a shame, but that's life.

In 1977 they were Gods. And decided to put on the most epic extravaganza they could - for better or worse. And when you think of the power and energy they were able to impart onto the audience, it is little wonder how so many who were lucky enough to attend the better '77 gigs all describe it so positively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9K-Zv_pTfk

^A perfect example of how they were just melting faces. Imagine witnessing that. That power and presence would need to be experienced to be completely understood and appreciated. And this is what, 2hrs into the gig??? A gig that may have had a flat spot or two - but a 3hr gig probably demands you give the crowd somewhat of a breather so as not to wear them completely out.

With all the excess and all the demons circling, they still delivered. I can't imagine a single soul left an LA or New York or many other '77 gigs with anything but a feeling of absolute rapture. Knowing that the experience was likely never to be topped.

They were flawed, but they were Gods with an energy that had to be experienced.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:38 PM, Christopher Lees said:

Zeppelin in 77 was like Muhammad Ali in 77. Still the world champions but just a shadow of their former selves, albeit with moments of genius flashing through here and there. Although the members of Zeppelin were still very young in 77, being between 29 and 33 years old or so, there's still no way to fake the genuineness of the youthful exuberance they displayed between 69-73. They got lazy, they were doing too much dope, drinking too much and screwing around too much.

People talk about whatever happened to Robert's voice after 72, but I think Jimmy's playing suffered a decline just as steep, if not more. Robert did recover some voice in 77, but he still sounded like he was shouting a lot rather than singing, and I don't really go for that. If Plant still sang in 77 like he did in 71, then we could handle Jimmy slopping around. Likewise, if Jimmy kept improving like he did from 68-73, then 77 would be really interesting even if Plant still had his vocal troubles. But with both of them in post Thrilla in Manila mode, it makes 77-80 difficult for a true fan. It takes a special talent as a fan and listener to learn not to be majorly disappointed with 77-80 gigs, and indeed even 75 gigs. One has to really be of the mind to look for the silver lining in the dark cloud to find a way to appreciate most of the shows in 77-80 (and 75).

If Jimmy wasn't a heroin addict and had the character and drive to practice his guitar all the time, like a professional musician should, from 73 onward, he would have easily maintained his killer technique and overall feel from Europe 73 and MSG 73, but instead, he got rich, spoiled and lazy, and the playing showed. It's part of being human, all too human as Nietzsche might say.

Plant couldn't help his voice giving out I don't think. It's not like he was lazy so his voice turned to shit. It's just that there was some kind of physical problem. It's a shame, but that's life.

Absolutely agree. Very well said. I call it rose colored hearing, and you have to ascribe to it if you are going to make excuses for the shortcomings post 73. That's not to say I wouldn't have gone fucking bonkers at a concert from 77 or even 80. 

No band can indefinitely sustain greatness. Looking back, we can easily (and subjectively) say this tour was better than that tour...Jimmy was better Europe '73 than USA '77. Plant was awesome in '72 but lost his voice in '75. But without doubt, we all would have gladly plunked down our cash for any ticket we could find and loved every minute of it.

I do prefer '75 and earlier, but I can still find enjoyment from many '77 shows and even '80 has a number of gems. I'll never turn down a chance to hear more live Zeppelin. Why? There is undeniable magic in Led Zeppelin. I have a handful of Page/Plant shows that I hardly ever listen to because it's just not the same. In contrast, the 02 reunion show, for me, DOES have that magic. 

I had the miraculous opportunity to see David Gilmour in 2015 at the first Royal Albert Hall show. I would have much rather seen him in 2006, with a better set list and stronger voice. But I won't regret a second of the show I did see. 

On 4/17/2019 at 1:51 PM, strombringer101 said:

The '77 tour was over the top indeed. Cutting back the show to maybe 2.5 hours might have been wise, but...the boys wanted to deliver I guess.

I agree that the '77 versions of No Quarter were too peppy/jazzy. And too long (30 minutes). It's a sinister song, and the moodiness of that was largely lost in '77, unfortunately. I don't think there's one bum version in '75. The 1973 versions were fine, too, but I like them a bit longer ('75). Dropping Moby Dick might have been wise, too. I disagree on SIBLY. For me, right up to Berlin, it's a great, authentic moment and I would even say the '77 versions are best. As for more tracks from Presence, not sure what to say. Aside from Achilles and Nobody's Fault, they must have felt they weren't suited for live performance. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2018 at 2:16 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

Ha ha, no sooner do I slam '77, then I'm reminded, this is indeed a very good solo.

On 10/5/2017 at 3:10 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

I'm no fan of '77, but I have to admit, these are very cool pics, thanks for posting.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:42 AM, JohnOsbourne said:

The '77 tour was shit.

Next  time  you  'll  see  a  great  photo  from  '77  or  be  impressed  by  a  blistering  solo, don't  say  the  same  shit  "i'm  not  a  fan  of  '77  but  I  like  blah  blah..."  because  it  makes  normal  fans  to  cringe. You  either  like  the  tour  or  hate  it. No  bullshit  anymore.

18 minutes ago, confounded_bridge said:

Next  time  you  'll  see  a  great  photo  from  '77  or  be  impressed  by  a  blistering  solo, don't  say  the  same  shit  "i'm  not  a  fan  of  '77  but  I  like  blah  blah..."  because  it  makes  normal  fans  to  cringe. You  either  like  the  tour  or  hate  it. No  bullshit  anymore.

Come on man. No need to be a dick. A guy can dislike a tour overall while still liking a particular performance or song from it.

My  point  was  generally  about  those  who  make  negative  comments  about  the  tour  based  on  minor  factors, ignoring  the  giganticity  and  the  vibe  of  the  tour. Saying  that  a  zeppelin  tour  "was  shit"  is  an  exaggeration, even  for  the  '80  tour.

2 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

What, are you stalking me?  Seriously, get a fucking life.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 4:43 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

What, are you stalking me?  Seriously, get a fucking life.

He does the same thing to me. He has no life, Listen here dickhead majority of the people who I have talk to you about the 1977 Led Zeppelin tour said that it was not good Steve Slaton KZ OK/ KISW fame here in Seattle got to meet the band Jimmy page was so wasted he had to be carried off the helicopter to the weight in limousines.  Does this mean we don’t like Led Zeppelin even Robert Plant has stated that the band was not itself at 1977 you’re just a jerk off that likes to argue with people get help troll .

2 hours ago, strombringer101 said:

He does the same thing to me. He has no life, Listen here dickhead majority of the people who I have talk to you about the 1977 Led Zeppelin tour said that it was not good Steve Slaton KZ OK/ KISW fame here in Seattle got to meet the band Jimmy page was so wasted he had to be carried off the helicopter to the weight in limousines.  Does this mean we don’t like Led Zeppelin even Robert Plant has stated that the band was not itself at 1977 you’re just a jerk off that likes to argue with people get help troll .

You are the troll here. Yesterday you said you were stoned on marijuana. The thread was magically deleted. Keep in mind I am not the only member I realized what game you play. Some other members here agree with the fact you are just trolling and talking shit, trying to cause major fuss. Don't try to hide. You need help, not me. On the deleted thread, I clarified my position by summing up all your controversional, self-canceling  posts. On that thread, I also asked sorry from JohnOsbourne for overreacting on his opinion. You came with a stupid marijuana statement and the thread was deleted. STOP TROLLING. 

4 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

You are the troll here. Yesterday you said you were stoned on marijuana. The thread was magically deleted. Keep in mind I am not the only member I realized what game you play. Some other members here agree with the fact you are just trolling and talking shit, trying to cause major fuss. Don't try to hide. You need help, not me. On the deleted thread, I clarified my position by summing up all your controversional, self-canceling  posts. On that thread, I also asked sorry from JohnOsbourne for overreacting on his opinion. You came with a stupid marijuana statement and the thread was deleted. STOP TROLLING. 

Dick head listen up.

they deleted the thread, you are overwhelmingly stupid for criticism on people who didn’t care about Bootlegs of a concert.  Do you think I really care what others in this forum think about my opinions about a Led Zeppelin bootleg or Led Zeppelin concert I am just stating facts that many many people told me about that show it was all the hype lacking  substance   there of course there were some great shows that were magically captured on bootleg but of it now so who cares if I Pointed out many people who saw Led Zeppelin in 77 have said. 

So if they do indeed release a partial SB to begin with (a song or two) and reserve the rest for future releases - does this indicate a new pattern we can expect from now on? Any new releases will be chopped up and drip fed out? Gawd I hope not......