Backstage arguments?

Image result for robert plant's teeth  The Missing Tooth. From the book by Richard Cole - in 1971 Japan. 

This picture is from TSRTS 1973. 

A little bird told me that Robert Plant and John Bonham got into a fight in Japan.

Bonham was a good shot. Now you tell me. Was Richard Cole spinning the yarn about Japan 1971?

If you ask me, I go with Richard Cole. During the Japanese Tour 1971, John Henry Bonham was an awesome shot when drinking.

There is a difference in Plant's projection between the first show or shows and the others in 1971. It happened in the hotel, and Cole broke it up.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:33 PM, E A Poe said:

Image result for robert plant's teeth  The Missing Tooth. From the book by Richard Cole - in 1971 Japan. 

This picture is from TSRTS 1973. 

A little bird told me that Robert Plant and John Bonham got into a fight in Japan.

Bonham was a good shot. Now you tell me. Was Richard Cole spinning the yarn about Japan 1971?

If you ask me, I go with Richard Cole. During the Japanese Tour 1971, John Henry Bonham was an awesome shot when drinking.

There is a difference in Plant's projection between the first show or shows and the others in 1971. It happened in the hotel, and Cole broke it up.

Actually I'm wrong. Bonham didn't knock or chip Plant;s tooth. He gave him a bloody split lip. The argument was over some money. Forgive my memory.

After all, I am a 210 year old fart. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_Japanese_Tour_1971

On 4/5/2019 at 2:16 PM, E A Poe said:

Actually I'm wrong. Bonham didn't knock or chip Plant;s tooth. He gave him a bloody split lip. The argument was over some money. Forgive my memory.

After all, I am a 210 year old fart. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_Japanese_Tour_1971

Plus if you look carefully you can see that his tooth isn’t actually missing 

The whole thing is hilarious. Wasn't the owed money a few yrs old ?? Maybe I'm talking about a different incident. Anyway when the midnight movie circuit was robust, me and a few friends always pointed out the missing ? or blackened ? or the

the film being a bit grainy at that point, causing a gap in the tooth. Then we wondered, well,Plant is a legend in his own time

possibly he doesn't care how it looks. Then to the other side, moneywise it would be no problem to get a bridge done, and

maybe Plant wanted to fix it. Boy , to go back to those days when such minutiae about rock stars were legitimate talking points.

I get stage fright off and on, just as mentioned before, no rhyme or reason, it just hits. I have been performing in front of audiences since I was 4 in a Christmas Pageant. That first time was easy, no stage fright, I loved it. Then in church when I was 9 speaking in front of the congregation on several occasions...no problem. It was not until I began performing music live in 6th grade that the nerves would set in on occasion. Typically if I had to solo (second chair, trumpet). Anyway, it was never consistent once I was playing in rock bands, it would just happen on occasion. Of course a few tokes off the magic weed pipe took care of that right quick, but maybe Jimmy did not like weed so used booze instead which can really affect your playing. Weed only affected my playing positively as it calmed me down and allowed me to settle in to a groove, a pocket with everyone else instead of thinking, "argh, I think I am outta time...shit, did I just miss the beat? Crap, I muted a note!!!"

Robert's dental issues had nothing to do with Bonzo socking him one, or two times. Plant had horrible teeth, damn nasty as hell. Had them all taken care of during the 1974 band hiatus if memory serves. Since the 75' tour he has sported a lovely grille, absolutely perfect chompers.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:48 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

I get stage fright off and on, just as mentioned before, no rhyme or reason, it just hits. I have been performing in front of audiences since I was 4 in a Christmas Pageant. That first time was easy, no stage fright, I loved it. Then in church when I was 9 speaking in front of the congregation on several occasions...no problem. It was not until I began performing music live in 6th grade that the nerves would set in on occasion. Typically if I had to solo (second chair, trumpet). Anyway, it was never consistent once I was playing in rock bands, it would just happen on occasion. Of course a few tokes off the magic weed pipe took care of that right quick, but maybe Jimmy did not like weed so used booze instead which can really affect your playing. Weed only affected my playing positively as it calmed me down and allowed me to settle in to a groove, a pocket with everyone else instead of thinking, "argh, I think I am outta time...shit, did I just miss the beat? Crap, I muted a note!!!"

Robert's dental issues had nothing to do with Bonzo socking him one, or two times. Plant had horrible teeth, damn nasty as hell. Had them all taken care of during the 1974 band hiatus if memory serves. Since the 75' tour he has sported a lovely grille, absolutely perfect chompers.

Now we know where that money went!

On 4/16/2019 at 8:26 AM, anniemouse said:

Weren't Robert's dental issues due to the first bad car smash he had in the early 1970's.

I don't believe so. If you look at pictures and film (TSRTS, several pre-75' TV interviews, etc.) his teeth look rotted. There appear to be both missing and black, rotted teeth. A real shame as it looked like his original dental structure was quite nice.

I read in Richard Coles Book Stairway to Heaven that John Bonham poured Orange Juice on Alvin Lee Of Ten years after. Jimmy and Peter Grant were so outraged and furious with Bonham that they told him he ever pulled another stunt like that again he would be out of the band. Don’t know if that is true or not?

7 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I don't believe so. If you look at pictures and film (TSRTS, several pre-75' TV interviews, etc.) his teeth look rotted. There appear to be both missing and black, rotted teeth. A real shame as it looked like his original dental structure was quite nice.

A combination of post-War English working class diet and basic NHS dentistry?

21 hours ago, strombringer101 said:

I read in Richard Coles Book Stairway to Heaven that John Bonham poured Orange Juice on Alvin Lee Of Ten years after. Jimmy and Peter Grant were so outraged and furious with Bonham that they told him he ever pulled another stunt like that again he would be out of the band. Don’t know if that is true or not?

What makes it even worse is I believe Bonham threw a cup of OJ at Alvin while he was on-stage playing guitar and soaked both him & guitar. For god's sake he could have electrocuted Lee. A prank is one thing but that was way over the line.

22 hours ago, strombringer101 said:

Just went and threw it at his hands. That's some rivalry and heated competition. I would say Led Zeppelin won because of that.

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

What makes it even worse is I believe Bonham threw a cup of OJ at Alvin while he was on-stage playing guitar and soaked both him & guitar. For god's sake he could have electrocuted Lee. A prank is one thing but that was way over the line.

Was this where he went out on stage behind him stripping on stage? Even played a stripper's stanza on drums. They tried to catch Bonzo, but couldn't. I read it too. Just think, if not for the Stones, Alvin Lee could have came up with Sticky Fingers for a title.

I'm a writer, but Richard Cole is one hell of a writer!

Edited by E A Poe

On 4/16/2019 at 11:26 AM, anniemouse said:

Weren't Robert's dental issues due to the first bad car smash he had in the early 1970's.

I believe you're right, anniemouse. It was a smash in a car accident, right? 1972? If you're right I think it was during a break in tours.

Edited by E A Poe

On 3/17/2019 at 8:47 AM, NealR2000 said:

I've seen a number of these fly-on-the-wall scenes, as well as read many, where bands come off stage and get into sometimes heated arguments over mistakes made during the performance.  I don't recall reading anything about similar happenings with Zep.  Does anyone know any different?   On one hand, I suspect there were some, as Zep live wasn't always great, but on the other hand, I'm not so sure as the one at "fault" was invariably Page, and what with his position, I'm not sure any of the others would say anything. Don't get me wrong, I don't think any of the others were in awe of Page or intimidated by him, but I just don't see any of them challenging his musicianship.

There's an interview with other members of Page & Plant that admit to back stage arguments between the 2, though they quickly point out that if they chimed in, the 2 teamed up immediately against them, lol. How funny is THAT? I don't think it was ever over mistakes though, I think more Page wanting to extend the improving and Plant wanting more album specific versions with a little bit of improv as well as Jimmy's approach. If he had backing guitars behind him live you wouldn't notice if he dropped a stitch here and there while on stage trying to come up with something new on the spot in front of a live audience as any and every guitarist does unless they play vanilla type music or with too much gain. Boy that gain hides a lot. I play as a hobby and I suck, but turn up that gain boy and I'm freakin Page! But they were a live band who made incredibly popular songs that fans nowadays detest when you play differently.  Back then it was expected. When they were at their best the bar was set so high it was almost impossible to live up to it again when you're doing thing on the spot like that. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't but for the amount that they did exceed expectations, it's inhuman. but, Plant is notorious for complaining about how JPJ would get on him for not being in key or never having anything nice to say about his singing or something. At some Scandanavian Diamond Award's interview Jonsey says "lyrics were sang beautifuly" talking about Stairway and Plant's eyes pop out of his head and says something like "Wow, that only took what? 24 years?". But, with Jimmy, I truly believe he plays careless just waiting for a mistake because every amazing thing I've ever seen him do, came not too long after he dropped a note or played something on the spot that might not have sounded as good as he thought it would in his head. He winces, then watch out! Not that he wouldn't have preferred not to make one but it's like he's shaking things up that way by putting himself on the spot.  I can't know the man's mind, but I believe that's his process and I gotta say, if it is, that takes minerals boy, pure unadulterated giant cajones of brass, or in this case, Led.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, Christopher Lees said:

Where can I read about this?

Nowhere because it never happened. Like Paul Rodgers never karate kicked Jimmy on stage for showing up on smack during a Firm concert either. Like Jimmy would do a follow up album with a guy after he put his hands on him, puh-lease! I don't know how people get their rocks off, but I've heard a lot of ridiculousness. Go to youtube and you can watch many, many, many 95 performances. Little Rock must be the only bad one or these posters just don't get this type of live music. Maybe they want sterilized album versions, I don't know. But I saw P&P at MSG in July of 98 then a week or 2 later at Jones Beach. MSG was only ok because the sound bounces off of everything and during Jimmy's shredding it was awful. The PA is coming from behind while the amp is coming from the front, ugh! But that's not Jimmy, that's Madison Square Garden hosting real live music with massive wattage amps. i was sitting pretty close to front row so i had it bad, would have been better to sit in the nosebleeds where the amp doesn't reach fully for those parts. Jones Beach Amphitheatre? Freakin amazing. A natural course for the sound to be pushed, no need for a PA and again, you can see it on yutube. The MSG actually sounds better on the bootleg than it did when I was there and I suspect Little Rock would as well. Jones Beach is exactly how I remember it. But there's a book "When Giants Walked the Earth" written by a reporter with close access to Plant over the post LZ years. He rags on Page quite a bit and if that story were true, it would have been in there. Plant's a Hippie. I mean that it a good way, he would never lay hands on anything, let alone Jimmy.

Edited by CherrySunburstWorshiper
Grammar

20 hours ago, CherrySunburstWorshiper said:

Nowhere because it never happened. Like Paul Rodgers never karate kicked Jimmy on stage for showing up on smack during a Firm concert either. Like Jimmy would do a follow up album with a guy after he put his hands on him, puh-lease! I don't know how people get their rocks off, but I've heard a lot of ridiculousness. Go to youtube and you can watch many, many, many 95 performances. Little Rock must be the only bad one or these posters just don't get this type of live music. Maybe they want sterilized album versions, I don't know. But I saw P&P at MSG in July of 98 then a week or 2 later at Jones Beach. MSG was only ok because the sound bounces off of everything and during Jimmy's shredding it was awful. The PA is coming from behind while the amp is coming from the front, ugh! But that's not Jimmy, that's Madison Square Garden hosting real live music with massive wattage amps. i was sitting pretty close to front row so i had it bad, would have been better to sit in the nosebleeds where the amp doesn't reach fully for those parts. Jones Beach Amphitheatre? Freakin amazing. A natural course for the sound to be pushed, no need for a PA and again, you can see it on yutube. The MSG actually sounds better on the bootleg than it did when I was there and I suspect Little Rock would as well. Jones Beach is exactly how I remember it. But there's a book "When Giants Walked the Earth" written by a reporter with close access to Plant over the post LZ years. He rags on Page quite a bit and if that story were true, it would have been in there. Plant's a Hippie. I mean that it a good way, he would never lay hands on anything, let alone Jimmy.

I agree with everything you wrote here. I can't see Plant smacking Jimmy, although he and Bonzo used to smack each other back in the day, hippies or not. That's when they were very young though. I can't see a 50 year old Plant punching poor Jimmy in the face. But who knows, maybe it did happen. All I wanted to know was where these posters got their information and how they know it is true. I pushed the point  few times and they all dried up, which suggests it's nothing more than a rumor.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:12 PM, Christopher Lees said:

I agree with everything you wrote here. I can't see Plant smacking Jimmy, although he and Bonzo used to smack each other back in the day, hippies or not. That's when they were very young though. I can't see a 50 year old Plant punching poor Jimmy in the face. But who knows, maybe it did happen. All I wanted to know was where these posters got their information and how they know it is true. I pushed the point  few times and they all dried up, which suggests it's nothing more than a rumor.

Yes, just rumor, noting more. Though I would have loved to see Paul Rogers Karate-kick Jimmy on stage as that would have been worth the price of admission. Downright hilarious.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, Christopher Lees said:

I can't see a 50 year old Plant punching poor Jimmy in the face. But who knows, maybe it did happen. All I wanted to know was where these posters got their information and how they know it is true. I pushed the point  few times and they all dried up, which suggests it's nothing more than a rumor.

Like I said, It was a hard slap to the face, not a punch and there are witnesses. If you consider this "all dried up" then suit yourself.

15 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Yes, just rumor, noting more. Though I would have loved to see Paul Rogers Karate-kick Jimmy on stage as that would have been worth the price of admission. Downright hilarious.

I personally saw Rodgers nudge Jimmy with his mic stand on the 1st Firm Tour in Worcestor Mass... Jimmy was kind of noodling around during the encore.

Maybe it was nothing but.. I took it as Rodgers telling Jimmy to wrap it up.  

13 hours ago, the chase said:

I personally saw Rodgers nudge Jimmy with his mic stand on the 1st Firm Tour in Worcestor Mass... Jimmy was kind of noodling around during the encore.

Good old Paul, reigning Jimmy in. I thought it odd when it was announced Paul & Jimmy in a band together due to Paul's nature. Paul was a serious diva back in the 70's and could be a real dick and a control freak. Figured Jimmy would not have been down with that but it lasted almost three years so what do I know.

19 hours ago, the chase said:

I was at that show but I didn't see anything like that and I seriously doubt he would, after all, it was Jimmy's baby and nobody was there to see Paul.