Jimmy Page @ The MET In NY for the Play It Loud: Instruments of Rock and Roll exhibit

zeplz71

• 1 month later...

Does this make you feel vindicated. I remember how during the 1980s my friends couldn’t understand why I liked dinosaur rock, or drug rock. I always tried to explain that Led Zeppelin was/ is one of the most talented guys to form a band. Zeppelin in my opinion is a band that should be honored and appreciated. 

Having never seen Led Zeppelin live but just some videos bootlegs I cannot  attest to how good they were live but  from what I’ve heard live they rocked harder  than any bands I saw during my time in the early 80s and 1990s. 

On 7/15/2019 at 7:07 PM, Night_flight3030 said:

Does this make you feel vindicated. I remember how during the 1980s my friends couldn’t understand why I liked dinosaur rock, or drug rock. I always tried to explain that Led Zeppelin was/ is one of the most talented guys to form a band. Zeppelin in my opinion is a band that should be honored and appreciated. 

Having never seen Led Zeppelin live but just some videos bootlegs I cannot  attest to how good they were live but  from what I’ve heard live they rocked harder  than any bands I saw during my time in the early 80s and 1990s. 

Indeed.  I think we might be around the same age.  Never understood the look of horror and disguist by my older siblings about my interest in 'burn-out' music...still don't quite know what that actually means but...

It's a great exhibition and well worth seeing. More extensive than I thought it would be. It took me about 90 minutes to get through the entire exhibit yesterday. There is probably more guitars from Jimmy Page than anyone else at the exhibit. It was very well done. It was quite crowded as was the entire Met itself. But it wasn't a problem.  Glad to see a lot of young people taking in the exhibit. There are four video exhibits with Page, Eddie Van Halen, Tom Morello and Keith Richards. There is more to this than guitars with other instruments as well as some full ban displays of in concert set up. I was very impressed with it and glad I got to see it before it closes on October 1st.

See it before it closes!

On 7/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, Paganini said:

Some pics from the exhibition...

D63FC241-75C3-4995-8124-FD6411293096.jpeg

82E74DF5-E925-4371-A423-0AEEF11F5661.jpeg

5A8790D4-56A2-461F-B9E9-42BEEEEB411A.jpeg

B2C99984-BF4E-46AA-8F06-54EC0FF2D5C3.jpeg

77EE1F8D-507A-4E46-AEC3-FE1608684AD5.jpeg

065F91DC-2F3B-4D54-A245-4C050F0533A5.jpeg

9D8DC161-CD86-462B-A159-1FBB19819F5E.jpeg

91A82A9D-C0FF-449E-8A96-9327E71E51CD.jpeg

235311A6-AA2E-4688-8AB2-AD84F10FE9EE.jpeg

79CCC816-2123-4EB1-8479-F7EFCFE478A0.jpeg

I went yesterday and my god, it was glorious. It’s everything everyone described.  I’m pissed that I missed the telecaster and bow (gotta go back!). 

It was definitely packed with Jimmy’s things compared to others which was mighty fine by me!  

The dragon suit was designed by Jimmy and hand embroidered by Coco and took over a year to make.  I took pics of the descriptions as well. Gosh, he had a tiny waist!

It blows my mind that I was standing right where he was in the room showcasing him, Keith, Eddie and Tom Morello (instead of strumming he’d use his toggle switch!).  It’s like walking where Jesus did.  

I watched the Jimmy video like 4 times.  😊

I took a lot of the same pics but I’d be happy to post the descriptions of the items or anything anyone would like to see -  I’ll try to figure out how to post pics for you.

i even took corny pics of my hand looking like I was touching the Danelectro and Number 1.  

I watched RAH and TSRTS clips on the train home just to watch him playing what I had just experienced.  

I may even go back once more before it leaves.  It was fantastic!

EDIT: looking at the dragon suit a lady asked me what “Zoso” meant.  I said that Jimmy will never disclose but it has something to do with his interest in magick, the occult, symbology, etc.  She goes - “oh ok, I’ll just google it”. I said “you might wanna start with Aleister Crowley then”. Then the husband said “Jimmy doesn’t look so good these days”. I was all - “well, he’s 75 and survived copious drugs and a rock and roll lifestyle through the 70’s”. He said “oh good point”.  Sorry folks, don’t knock Jimmy to me, I’ll set ya straight - and jimmy looks pretty damn good for 75 and being where he’s been. 

Edited by The Danelectro

On 7/21/2019 at 6:15 AM, The Rover said:

Jimmy's Sunburst Gibson Les Paul is like the Excalibur of the Rock Kingdom to me.

Indeed it is ...I stood there, just 12 inches away from it, for a good 10 minutes just contemplating the majesty of Jimmy’s no.1.I even got my daughter take a very cheesy pic of me from behind the guitar looking like I was playing it ...I won’t be posting that one tho 😁 

2 hours ago, Paganini said:

Indeed it is ...I stood there, just 12 inches away from it, for a good 10 minutes just contemplating the majesty of Jimmy’s no.1.I even got my daughter take a very cheesy pic of me from behind the guitar looking like I was playing it ...I won’t be posting that one tho 😁 

Lol. Not only would I do the same thing, I'd be duckfacing too!

image.png.e81e559ed75025b0da0563d06c5d2160.png

3 hours ago, Paganini said:

I did cheesy pics of my hands over #1 and the Danelectro looking like I was touching it.  I have to figure out how to attach pics here with iPhone/iPad. 

To echo the above sentiment about Excalibur - yes - that’s what it was! And looking at the Holy Grail.  I was completely mesmerized thinking of all I’d the things we’ve heard that came from those instruments and seeing them in action.  Looking at the Black Beauty was a treat, considering where it’s been (as in, we have no idea where it went).  How generous of Jimmy to loan so many things to the exhibit.  

Edited by The Danelectro
Pics attempt

On 7/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, The Danelectro said:

I went yesterday and my god, it was glorious. It’s everything everyone described.  I’m pissed that I missed the telecaster and bow (gotta go back!). 

I can't believe you missed the telecaster! It was to the right of the double neck Gibson SG against the wall on the right. You were just feet away from it. It is a bit hidden and easy to miss as the big display with Jimmy in the dragon suit stands out and grabs your attention immediately.

10 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

I can't believe you missed the telecaster! It was to the right of the double neck Gibson SG against the wall on the right. You were just feet away from it. It is a bit hidden and easy to miss as the big display with Jimmy in the dragon suit stands out and grabs your attention immediately.

UGH!!  That’s it. Gotta head back!  I’ll wait a few weeks until the tourist crowd slows down.  I was so enthralled with what I saw my mind went to this place where logic didn’t apply. 

And it was glorious! 

58 minutes ago, The Danelectro said:

UGH!!  That’s it. Gotta head back!  I’ll wait a few weeks until the tourist crowd slows down.  I was so enthralled with what I saw my mind went to this place where logic didn’t apply. 

And it was glorious! 

It's an amazing exhibit and I spent more time there than I thought I would. Very extensive and Page is probably represented more and better than anyone.

14 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

It's an amazing exhibit and I spent more time there than I thought I would. Very extensive and Page is probably represented more and better than anyone.

I thought that too - very heavy with Jimmy. I really do need to go back and review it all again. Fortunately the city is just 2 hours by train. 😁

15 hours ago, Paganini said:

Like the "Spear of Destiny".... it had you.

I'd be like that if I had a bow that Jimmy had used sitting in front of me.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:12 PM, rm2551 said:

Exactly. He's been deep into the abyss and returned. He seems rather healthy now.

Agreed ..considering what he put his fragile body through in those early years: .chain smoking, coke, smack, booze all with very little sleep and heavy workloads ,he looks remarkably healthy. Obviously chose his parents well..🙂