The K POP Thread

SteveAJones

On 4/8/2019 at 9:40 PM, SteveAJones said:

You mad bro? This thread presents a genre of music that most here are completely unfamiliar with. Given the forum membership is at least 80% male, how long do you think I'll retain their interest in this topic if I start with a dozen posts about South Korean male groups?  

Nice try.

Are they real? I live in China (American) travels back an forth to Seattle where I’m from and I will tell you this.

koreans are very nice people but their music sucks and it’s a sham to these young ladies. Their career is done by age 25, imagine if Jimmy told Plant after  physical graffiti Album your to old, need a younger man now. 

30 minutes ago, strombringer101 said:

koreans are very nice people but their music sucks and it’s a sham to these young ladies. Their career is done by age 25, imagine if Jimmy told Plant after  physical graffiti Album your to old, need a younger man now. 

"Korean music sucks" is an opinion to which you are entitled. I have a different opinion.

However, you may want to broaden your horizons beyond Led Zeppelin. For example, even on the topic of this thread you reference Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Come on, man. One of the purposes of this thread is to affirm there is a whole wide world out there with nothing whatsoever to do with Led Zeppelin, which you must realize having spent some time in China. That said, I'll discuss the point. One of the reasons why most K-pop performers careers end by their late-20s is the life of K-pop performer can be very difficult. Most outside of South Korea don't realize the control the entertainment cabals have over   these young performers lives. For example, dating is discouraged as is being seen in public in a romantic situation. Another primary reason why their careers end in their 20s is that every South Korean male is obliged to perform two years of national service. It can be deferred for many reasons, and many male K-pop stars successfully do defer it for awhile, but ultimately it must be served.

The most recent example of this is Jung Yong Hwa, 29, chart-topping lead singer of CN Blue and undeniably among the most popular male performers in K-pop over the past nine years. Well, he had a deferment to attend university, and it became a social scandal when it was learned he wasn't regularly attending. Consequently, the government ordered him to begin his compulsory national service almost immediately. Fortunately, it is thought that he is among the few who could possibly resume a K-pop career after a two-year hiatus, if he should seek to do so.  

Edited by SteveAJones

School Attack: The premise of this immensely popular South Korean television program on channel SBS is that random schools are chosen to host a chart-topping K-pop act for a surprise live performance. The catch is that there is no notice given, students do not know who the performer will be until the curtain is raised and students who arrive late to the assembly are not permitted to attend (although the performers will normally show mercy upon them and request that they be allowed to enter before it ends). This episode features (G)-Idle performing Latata. Select the closed caption button for an English translation.

17 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Every single bit of this is equivalent to a high school talent show.

I would say 50 / 50 between that and one of those pre-teen "beauty pageants" where it is obvious the whole design is hyper sexualization.

The "music" is bad enough but the exploitation of these kids, plus the obvious intent to make the girls in particular look as young as humanly possible while also overtly sexualizing them is just nasty. It would be one thing if the girls / women in these groups looked their age, its a whole different thing to put something together akin to a dirty old man's fantasy.

Just to be clear, I feel the same when they pull this crap in the west. The whole Miley Cyrus act a few years back was disgusting.

Again, a step above Hentai, just barely.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum

33 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Every single bit of this is equivalent to a high school talent show.

IU is arguably one of the best female vocalists in the world to emerge over the past 25 years. Additionally, she writes her own music and lyrics that have entertained millions. You may have some positive strengths and characteristics of your own, but evaluation and critique of South Korean popular music is clearly not among them.

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

What is a song that you would say really showcases her singing talent/vocal range?

She's a gifted vocalist and lyricist with dynamic stage presence. However, if we are to focus solely on vocal range, 4:45 below is what you're looking for. These three notes are E5, F5 and F#5.

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...