The K POP Thread

SteveAJones

I predicted earlier this year that ITZY would become the second biggest K-pop female group in the world within six months. It seems I've been proven right as they have just announced a worldwide premiere showcase tour. This girls are rookies, having debuted just last February, but their natural talent, stage presence and charisma is off the charts. 

I call this clip "Frankenstein" because it features J.Y. Park, founder of JYP Entertainment in South Korea, admiring his latest creation at the time. Park had put up $200,000 of his own money to develop and launch the label's next super group through this reality show called Sixteen. The girls in this performance made the final cut to become members of that group, which Park ultimately named Twice. Park explained, "The group will touch people's hearts twice, once through the ears, and once again through the eyes".

Twice has gone on to become the best-selling Korean girl group of all time with a total of 3,750,000 copies sold from their twelve Korean releases. They have also sold over six million albums worldwide and earned several million dollars through commercial endorsements. It was reported that Twice is credited with being the biggest contributor to the rise of JYP Entertainment's stock, which increased in value by a factor of seven in less than three years. Since the group's debut in 2015, it has risen from 4,500 Korean Won to 31,400 Korean Won in 2018.

Edited by SteveAJones

Rarely have I seen a middle-aged, elderly male try so hard to justify their obsession with pubescent and pubescent looking girls.

Can they sing? Yes, and quite good but the songs are not very good. What's next, a Debbie Gibson or Tiffany post? Nothing wrong with this type of music if you are, oh, 8 - 17 years old but someone of your "advancing years" possibly relating to such music is either bizarre or because there is something else which is grabbing your attention.

Miley Cyrus has a pretty good voice too but I sure as hell was not showing up at Hannah Montana concerts or listening to her music. Nothing to relate to.

6 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Rarely have I seen a middle-aged, elderly male try so hard to justify their obsession with pubescent and pubescent looking girls.

Can they sing? Yes, and quite good but the songs are not very good. What's next, a Debbie Gibson or Tiffany post? Nothing wrong with this type of music if you are, oh, 8 - 17 years old but someone of your "advancing years" possibly relating to such music is either bizarre or because there is something else which is grabbing your attention.

Miley Cyrus has a pretty good voice too but I sure as hell was not showing up at Hannah Montana concerts or listening to her music. Nothing to relate to.

A middle-aged, elderly male? Aren't you going to respect how I self-identify? 🤣

Anyway, I get that it may be difficult to relate to. I tell you what, one of these days we'll get together in Tokyo or Seoul and attend a concert. You claim to be a citizen of the world, come experience some of it.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/k-town/8532274/superm-kpop-takes-over-hollywood-during-first-ever-live-concert-capital-records-building

These jabronis caused all kinds of high-pitched squealing in Hollywood last month. Apparently some K-Pop supergroup called SuperM made up of members of other K-Pop boy-bands. 

I was walking Hollywood Blvd. and encountered a massive line around the Pantages Theatre. At first, I thought "Hamilton" tickets were going on-sale. But my friend noticed the trappings of K-Pop fanhood in the line and so we stopped to ask them who they were lining up for and they said "SuperM". They were playing at the Capitol Records Building that night. Which meant diddly-squat to us but that is the norm around here. At the Hollywood Palace earlier this summer I saw a long line and it was for some J-Pop band I had never heard of, either.

The lines all have the same demographic...mostly young girls (under 18), some gay boys, and random creepy old guys.

All of these bands sell in the millions but are instantly forgettable and practically interchangeable...you can't tell one from the other. No one will care in five, ten, or twenty years. Much like the Florida Boy Bimbos of the 1990s...New Kids, Insync, Backstreet Boys, etc.

Edited by Strider

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

A middle-aged, elderly male? Aren't you going to respect how I self-identify? 🤣

Anyway, I get that it may be difficult to relate to. I tell you what, one of these days we'll get together in Tokyo or Seoul and attend a concert. You claim to be a citizen of the world, come experience some of it.

Thanks but no thanks Steve, I like my women a little older and with a few miles. Though if I am ever in Japan or Korea I will without a doubt look you up...drinks on me.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:17 AM, SteveAJones said:

:drinks:

BTW I have dated three Korean ladies (not all at once unfortunately) and have a bit of an affinity for them. Very gracious women, kind and extremely supportive with a wicket sense of humor and very passionate. I guess that's what happens when a bachelor frequents Sushi restaurants as most sushi restaurants in AZ are owned and staffed by Koreans and not Japanese. For some reason AZ has quite a large Korean population and very few Japanese.

Anyway, Asian women are quite lovely, at least from my experience.

4 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

BTW I have dated three Korean ladies (not all at once unfortunately) and have a bit of an affinity for them. Very gracious women, kind and extremely supportive with a wicket sense of humor and very passionate. 

Yes! Generally speaking, Korean women are definitely all of that and more and they are a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I was joking with the Epstein comment but was closer to reality than I realized.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/nov/29/k-pop-stars-jailed-for-quasi-rape-of-woman-jung-joon-young-choi-jong-hoon

Hara was just with us in Tokyo last week, where she gave her final performance five days before her death. 

20191125191321803ixaf.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out the K-Pop machine is a dark one indeed. Vice just posted an expose on K-Pop and how it is an industry, a manufactured product where the corporation, for all intent and purpose, owns the artist. What the corporations that control the K-Pop industry engage in makes the mobs control over the black music scene in the 50's & 60's look like a mutually equitable partnership by comparison.

Watching the VIce documentary really opened my eyes to the whole business. I truly feel sorry for these artists as most are very talented performers, unfortunately they are also slaves for all intent and purpose. Its no wonder so many are killing themselves.

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Turns out the K-Pop machine is a dark one indeed. Vice just posted an expose on K-Pop and how it is an industry, a manufactured product where the corporation, for all intent and purpose, owns the artist. What the corporations that control the K-Pop industry engage in makes the mobs control over the black music scene in the 50's & 60's look like a mutually equitable partnership by comparison.

Watching the VIce documentary really opened my eyes to the whole business. I truly feel sorry for these artists as most are very talented performers, unfortunately they are also slaves for all intent and purpose. Its no wonder so many are killing themselves.

I won't dispute this. Most people outside of South Korea have no idea how much control management exerts over the artist's personal lives. Many of the artists are forced to live together in dorms and can't have a public romantic life. I remain more than willing to put the members of Itzy up at my place for the winter. Here they are at the Nagoya Dome last week watering my eyes with pride with another phenomenal performance. 2019 Best New Female Artists Award!

On 12/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, SteveAJones said:

I won't dispute this. Most people outside of South Korea have no idea how much control management exerts over the artist's personal lives. Many of the artists are forced to live together in dorms and can't have a public romantic life. I remain more than willing to put the members of Itzy up at my place for the winter. Here they are at the Nagoya Dome last week watering my eyes with pride with another phenomenal performance. 2019 Best New Female Artists Award!

I bet if you did put them up Steve they would look upon you with great reverence as you would be, truly, a savior compared to what many are enduring. I have to also say I was surprised by the vocal talent these artists have. Even though the style is not my thing I do now more fully respect what they do, especially under the conditions they do it under.

Just imagine Peter Grant telling Jimmy, Robert, JPJ, & JB they would have to leave there families and live communally, not engage with the ladies, and of course no booze, drugs, partying, etc. Oh, and that Grant now OWNS them too. Me thinks they would still be looking for Mr. Grant today after his "mysterious" disappearance.

9 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I have to also say I was surprised by the vocal talent these artists have. Even though the style is not my thing I do now more fully respect what they do, especially under the conditions they do it under.

:thumbsup:

ITZY in Manila, Philippines (Dec 8, 2019)

72999002_546718045871352_6563363949943717888_o.jpg

2019 12 08 (Credit Bruce Casanova).jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

• 3 months later...