What's the weather like where you are?

madison

It's -8 C/-15 C with wind chill and snowing heavily. About a foot of snow caps everything in my garden, the antenna on my VW has nearly disappeared and no traffic is moving on my street. It would be a good time to escape south, but more than 30% of flights are cancelled. A good day for reading and writing and hot tea.

For the benefit of anyone who doesn't understand Satellite photograps of clouds, could you explain, without the use of emoticons, what is exactly the point of this?

The word blizzard is thrown around every year by the media when snowstorms hit, but there is a very specific definition.

A blizzard is not just classified by heavily falling snow. In fact, snow does not even need to be falling for a blizzard to be classified.

The exact requirements for a blizzard must last three hours or longer with sustained winds or frequent gusts to 35 mph or greater.

On top of the wind requirements, there must also be considerable falling OR blowing snow, reducing the visibility to less than a quarter of a mile frequently.

"Blizzard conditions often occur on the Plains without any falling snow with a high frequency of strong winds," according to AccuWeather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist Alex Sosnowski.

Sometimes blizzard conditions only occur over a small area, but in the cities and towns that are hit travel is brought to a stand still.

Thanks for that. So have you a blizzard where you are? My geography of North America maybe not that great but is that storm hitting the Eastern Seaboard?

No Blizzard here, it is a very Calm day...

Is that just Cloud Cover on that Satellite map or Snow falling

And my Geograph is crap, can't even read a map so if you say that that Storm is hitting the Eastern Seaboard, i'll take your word for it...LOL

Not looking too good for us either on Sunday. Looks like Mrs CP will be having an extra lie in on Monday as we will get alot of snow. Will there be no end to this perpetual cold?

MRS CP get the list?

Wine, food, Kindling, milk,bread, crisps, horse burgers,baps,tommy sauce,more Rizlas - hey check the stash!! What?? No that will be fine. Best get some more wine though. To be continued

Good luck to everyone

Not looking too good for us either on Sunday. Looks like Mrs CP will be having an extra lie in on Monday as we will get alot of snow. Will there be no end to this perpetual cold?

MRS CP get the list?

Wine, food, Kindling, milk,bread, crisps, horse burgers,baps,tommy sauce,more Rizlas - hey check the stash!! What?? No that will be fine. Best get some more wine though. To be continued

Good luck to everyone

Best bring those logs up nearer to the House as well...

Never got my head round those 3 words

: ) I know, but there is something quite magical about walking in fresh snow especially in a forest. The silence and landscape are very calming. Not that I'm about to move from my desk and book today. Also low pressure systems encourage headaches. Ouch.

Gov. Deval Patrick has just announced a ban on driving on all roads in Mass effective at 4pm. First time since 1978.

Please listen to these warnings and stay home!

Oh yeah, how's the weather, you ask?

Um, the snow is now falling from the sky SIDEWAYS, making visibility almost zero.

Edited by planted

>Gov. Deval Patrick has just announced a ban on driving on all roads in Mass effective at 4pm. First time since 1978.<

DeValue is a moron but you knew that,.....some people HAVE to go to work today/tonight.This idiot has imposed a year in jail for this- offense-,.....egad.

>Please listen to these warnings and stay home!<

Most people are without the nanny state telling us.

^ They tried to act like it was no big deal 2 years ago in The Washington Metro area. People were trapped in their cars for 8 hrs+. The only reason the Gov has to do this is employers act like idiots. If your job does not involve public safety, STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY. I stayed home that day the rest of humanity created an unneeded disaster. When the snow falls faster than the plows can move it, It is time to get off the roads.

>Gov. Deval Patrick has just announced a ban on driving on all roads in Mass effective at 4pm. First time since 1978.<

DeValue is a moron but you knew that,.....some people HAVE to go to work today/tonight.This idiot has imposed a year in jail for this- offense-,.....egad.

>Please listen to these warnings and stay home!<

Most people are without the nanny state telling us.

I've been to work already today, I realize people have to work.

A year in jail is completely ridiculous, I agree.

^ They tried to act like it was no big deal 2 years ago in The Washington Metro area. People were trapped in their cars for 8 hrs+. The only reason the Gov has to do this is employers act like idiots. If your job does not involve public safety, STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY. I stayed home that day the rest of humanity created an unneeded disaster. When the snow falls faster than the plows can move it, It is time to get off the roads.

CYA