What's the weather like where you are?

madison

I'd just realised that you weren't from Florida and wondered whether the weather differed - North Carolina is only three states above Florida, isn't it?

We're relatively lucky in that we don't have that really oppressive humidity. We'll have sunshine, and the heat that comes with it, but we don't have the humidity. Air conditioning in homes is a rarity here, so when we do have a really bad heat wave, we're buggered. We're not used to it.

Yup. North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida in that order. We're only 5 hours from D.C., so that should give you an idea how north of Florida we are. We get bursts of heat rather than sustained weeks of it. Say it'll be 80 one day, 95 for the next 3 days and then back to 80.

I didn't know that air conditioning was not standard in homes over there. I can't imagine being in house that didn't have central air. At least not today. In my parents' time air conditioning was unheard of. I hope you guys have tons of fans, though!

I didn't know that air conditioning was not standard in homes over there. I can't imagine being in house that didn't have central air. At least not today. In my parents' time air conditioning was unheard of. I hope you guys have tons of fans, though!

We only ever buy (and sell) fans when we go through a bout of really unbearable heat. After that, they're usually stored away until the next time. And even then, you don't really see fans in the shops that much. We can get away with not having air conditioning in homes because it'd only be a waste - our weather doesn't necessitate it. Work places do have it, however. Though, I'm not sure if all are required to.

cloudy.gif

76 °F / 24 °C

Overcast

Humidity: 54%

Dew Point: 58 °F / 14 °C

Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SSW

Pressure: 29.85 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)

Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

UV: 1 out of 16

Clouds: Scattered Clouds 5500 ft / 1676 m

Overcast 7000 ft / 2133 m

(Above Ground Level)

Elevation: 968 ft / 295 m

It was damn nice today! I went to the beach. The water seemed clearer than usual, so it was really pretty when the waves rolled in with an aquamarine tint. Not quite Hawaii, but better than our usual murky, gray water.

It was a little on the humid side, but no big deal. Anyone from Florida would tell me I'm crazy and that it's positively dry, but everybody knows San Diegans are weenies, so there you go.

• 2 weeks later...