Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
madison

What's the weather like where you are?

Oh I see how interesting. I suspect with the cold weather the buds will not be showing for a while yet. Me and Mrs CP picked fruit in Australia for 2 seasons. Loved it. Peaches, Apples and Pears. Made a fortune. I also did the potatoes in Jersey for 4 seasons when I was in my 20's.

Do you like to eat soft fruit then. I ate so many peaches when i was in Victoria it was a while that I could eat them again. I would have thought the orchards are in Kent?

Oh I see how interesting. I suspect with the cold weather the buds will not be showing for a while yet. Me and Mrs CP picked fruit in Australia for 2 seasons. Loved it. Peaches, Apples and Pears. Made a fortune. I also did the potatoes in Jersey for 4 seasons when I was in my 20's.

Do you like to eat soft fruit then. I ate so many peaches when i was in Victoria it was a while that I could eat them again. I would have thought the orchards are in Kent?

If you remember last year everything was early due too the nice weather we were having, then it all went 'tits up'..

I would have loved to have travelled around the World picking fruit but I never had anyone to go with.

Your right the orchards are in kent, they grow Apples & Pears as well as the Soft Fruits of which I only ever eat straight from the trees never buy them.

I should imagine that Potatoe picking is back breaking a bit like picking Strawberries, tried that once and only lasted 2 days, it is most certainly a young persons game..

Starting to cloud over here now.. 'Bugger' thought it was too good to be true..

I actually worked in the packing places. we used to pack 100 tonnes a day - every day, unless they stopped digging to keep the prices high.

Here is a pic of the orchard with 1 1/2 tonnes of peaches ready to be taken away

post-4226-0-66587300-1363257705_thumb.jp

I actually worked in the packing places. we used to pack 100 tonnes a day - every day, unless they stopped digging to keep the prices high.

Here is a pic of the orchard with 1 1/2 tonnes of peaches ready to be taken away

attachicon.gifpeaches0001.jpg

That is the same size Bin that they use for picking apples into, this year the 'Good Apple' crop was so bad that it took one picker nearly 16 hours to fill one, he wasn't the worlds best picker, he wanted the bin to be perfect after all his hard work they slapped a Ticket on 'For Juice Only' he nearly cried, then he got the sack..LOL

Wow that is a lot of Spuds

Yes they were very strict in Australia too. The pears had to have a little leaf on the stem - to make them more attractive i suppose. Woe betide if you didn't leave them on. Peaches were also very weird to pick because they ripen from the inside so a brief look at the bottom, and if it was slightly orange then that would be fine. Green was a no no. Played havoc with my colour blindness. Sometimes they would ask for them all to be picked so you could go crazy - stripping the fruit. But peaches have a "furry" skin on them and it would cover you in a fibreglass type of powder. Coupled with the 40 degree heat it would make your eyes itch like fuck. And your arms would have tree scratches all over them. It was good fun though. We worked from jan until April and lived in a small bungalow on a campsite for 80 bucks a week all in.

We used to get $24 oz dollars per bin for peaches and pears. Work was from 7am until whenever. Me and Mrs CP would do about 8 bins per day between us. Work until about 2 until it was unbearable and go for a swim in the river or the town pool for a cool off.

When the peaches and pears were finished only a select few would stay on for the apples. You had to be really careful picking these as not to bruise the fruit. $200 a day was the reward but you had to work all day for that.

Here is a snap of the Murray river which split the state border between Victoria and New South Wales. It was a dream to swim in it:

post-4226-0-41216800-1363259483_thumb.jp

Yes they were very strict in Australia too. The pears had to have a little leaf on the stem - to make them more attractive i suppose. Woe betide if you didn't leave them on. Peaches were also very weird to pick because they ripen from the inside so a brief look at the bottom, and if it was slightly orange then that would be fine. Green was a no no. Played havoc with my colour blindness. Sometimes they would ask for them all to be picked so you could go crazy - stripping the fruit. But peaches have a "furry" skin on them and it would cover you in a fibreglass type of powder. Coupled with the 40 degree heat it would make your eyes itch like fuck. And your arms would have tree scratches all over them. It was good fun though. We worked from jan until April and lived in a small bungalow on a campsite for 80 bucks a week all in.

We used to get $24 oz dollars per bin for peaches and pears. Work was from 7am until whenever. Me and Mrs CP would do about 8 bins per day between us. Work until about 2 until it was unbearable and go for a swim in the river or the town pool for a cool off.

When the peaches and pears were finished only a select few would stay on for the apples. You had to be really careful picking these as not to bruise the fruit. $200 a day was the reward but you had to work all day for that.

Here is a snap of the Murray river which split the state border between Victoria and New South Wales. It was a dream to swim in it:

attachicon.gifriver beach0001.jpg

What away to spend your working day sounds great but yer it is hard work, I can imagine what those 'Furry little Fuzz Balls' did too your eyes plus any insect bites would have driven you crazey. Those Tree Scratches sure do ruin the 'Tan'. Wow $200 was a small fortune, you couldn't earn any where near that now.

On a good day I was able to pick an average of 7 Bins a day, but then we never really have the heat to contend with. As i'm getting old and decripit now if I do 4-5 I think that is good.

What fond Memories and photos the CP's have to look back on especially with what seems a never ending winter..

Appalling this morning. After a bone numbing freezing week it has decided to remind us how grim it can be. Still cold but a relentless rain from a grey leaden sky has welcomend the onset of the weekend. Great.

Snow is falling, I'm sitting in a guest house in a village with mountains all over and no ski equipment getting ready to meet a client in the morning for a future project.

Snow here today too. Had about 5", but most of the rain and temps in the low 40's melted a lot of it. Temps here should remain below normal in the low 40's for the next week. Usually temps in the low to mid 50's daily by now...but to no avail. I know it's gonna go from this to the 70's in a hurry with all the dramatics the weather provides now.

Snow here today too. Had about 5", but most of the rain and temps in the low 40's melted a lot of it. Temps here should remain below normal in the low 40's for the next week. Usually temps in the low to mid 50's daily by now...but to no avail. I know it's gonna go from this to the 70's in a hurry with all the dramatics the weather provides now.

I hope you're right about the temps!

Shorts, sandals and sunless tanner, where are you?!

:)

I hope you're right about the temps!

Shorts, sandals and sunless tanner, where are you?!

:)

South of you in CT.

South of you in CT.

So, you feel my pain!

I need sunshine and warmth! NOW!

Still really cold here. Flurries of snow drifting in on a cold easterly wind. No sign of Spring, although the daffs and other greens are showing through. Forecasters are predicting a white out on Friday and no let up until way after Easter. How immensley frustrating. One can only hope it is a scorcher of a summer?

First day of spring yesterday and still a ton of snow on the ground here ...phack I am tired of it.

Love Canada and the changing seasons we have, but I've had enough of the white stuff......

Last year at this time we were golfing and drinking on patios......c'mon heat!

Last year at this time we were golfing and drinking on patios......c'mon heat!

Same here fishy. Our Captains drive in on Saturday. Got as much chance as MM getting back on board. Whats your handicap?

Same here fishy. Our Captains drive in on Saturday. Got as much chance as MM getting back on board. Whats your handicap?

my handicap is the actual game lol...but I love it ......I am a 25 now but capable of so much better if I can just get out of my own way...I've shot a 74 in the Domincan at a Robert Trent Jones course, and shot a 79 here at home and probably should have quit then and retired.......now i struggle off the tee and have a major yip in my right hand while putting....It can be a train wreck but I had some success just recently at the end of last year and during a recent Tampa Bay golf trip with some pals......Gonna keep trying to get better. It is such a great game. Love it....How about you? Are you shooter?....

hey, if you are interested, check out a golf novel called, "Golf in the Kingdom" ...pretty cool take on the game......ciao

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_in_the_Kingdom

Play off 14 at the moment and can, as you say, do better. I shot an 81 a couple of weeks back and really should have got under 80 but the usuals, hooked drive, missed puts etc. Aiming to get to 10 this year but I play on a really tough parkland course and it's a different ball game in the winter, tees forward, winter rules etc. Our summer comp tees are really tough. But ultimately this year, is the year when Mrs CP dosen't thrash me all the time.

Will check out the wiki page

Play off 14 at the moment and can, as you say, do better. I shot an 81 a couple of weeks back and really should have got under 80 but the usuals, hooked drive, missed puts etc. Aiming to get to 10 this year but I play on a really tough parkland course and it's a different ball game in the winter, tees forward, winter rules etc. Our summer comp tees are really tough. But ultimately this year, is the year when Mrs CP dosen't thrash me all the time.

Will check out the wiki page

14...Nice!...hey I started a new thread so maybe there is more of us that want to talk a little golf......cheers

Sunny but quite frigid with a high of 34 degrees Farenheit today. I am so ready for spring weather. I want warmer weather, Bradford pear trees in bloom and daffodils.

Appalling. Heavy snow, blizzards, biting easterly wind. I have never seen anything like it this winter or any winter for that matter. It's been snowing for most of the night and a gale force easterly is making visibility almost zero. Thankfully the CP's went shopping yesterday and got supplies. Wine, smoke, chicken,lamb....... etc etc. This storm is set to last into monday so it could be a long wait.

I'm going back under the quilt.