Good Bye Notre Dame (1163-2019)

kipper

The cathedral Notre Dame in Paris is burning to the ground.  Hopefully no firefighters will be harmed trying to put this out. Sad news today.

notre-dame-on-fire.jpg

Edited by kipper

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

Very few seem to be at risk, based upon those two feeble fire hoses they are using in response. 

Huge amount of scaffolding in the renovation project. With gas generators, welding equipment, there is always a huge risk of fire if proper precautions are not taken. And then add to it a 900 year old interior wooden structure--- well, somebody probably screwed up.

It is a sad day, and yet in many ways I think it will represent an image of Europe and European history and civilization which seems to be disappearing in our lifetimes already.

Losing a historical place like this is always sad, and yet nothing lasts forever.

1 minute ago, kipper said:

Huge amount of scaffolding in the renovation project. With gas generators, welding equipment, there is always a huge risk of fire if proper precautions are not taken. And then add to it a 900 year old interior wooden structure--- well, somebody probably screwed up.

It is a sad day, and yet in many ways I think it will represent an image of Europe and European history and civilization which seems to be disappearing in our lifetimes already.

Losing a historical place like this is always sad, and yet nothing lasts forever.

Very sad.

image.thumb.png.6145f6193931c32e39373533a750de25.png

Just now, kipper said:

Every two bit radical Islamist terror organization from Paris to Palestine will claim credit for this fire. A thorough investigation is required to gather evidence to refute or substantiate those claims. Let's hope it is found to be accidental. I went to the cathedral in 2000. I seriously doubt it will be fully restored in my lifetime. 

1 minute ago, SteveAJones said:

Every two bit radical Islamist terror organization from Paris to Palestine will claim credit for this fire. A thorough investigation is required to gather evidence to refute or substantiate those claims.

Was thinking that too. Charlie Hebdo revisited.

11 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Every two bit radical Islamist terror organization from Paris to Palestine will claim credit for this fire. A thorough investigation is required to gather evidence to refute or substantiate those claims. Let's hope it is found to be accidental. I went to the cathedral in 2000. I seriously doubt it will be fully restored in my lifetime. 

We'll see. I hope not, or maybe this would be the thing that wakes up some people in France (maybe Germany too) about some things.

Funny you just mentioned this, but a friend of mine who is Jerusalem this week for Passover just messaged me and said that they were walking past a cafe in the Muslim quarter and a TV was on showing the news coverage and some of the people were laughing and cheering.  I find that kind of thing to be really SICK. This is history---world history. The loss of antiquities of any religion or culture are a loss to all of us.

I hope there was no nefarious involvement in this, but today who knows?

3 minutes ago, kipper said:

Funny you just mentioned this, but a friend of mine who is Jerusalem this week for Passover just messaged me and said that they were walking past a cafe in the Muslim quarter and a TV was on showing the news coverage and some of the people were laughing and cheering.  

Undoubtedly. This is like an unscheduled Super Bowl Sunday for them.

Listening to the news reports and some reporters say the dumbest things. One reporter on CNN said (paraphrasing here), "the cathedral has survived two world wars, the French revolution and the Crusades...".

How uninformed are some of these news people? How would the crusades have been a threat to this cathedral? Do they not know that the crusades were a defensive war against attacks from outside of Europe?  And in terms of WW2 France surrendered, declared Paris an 'open city' so the Germans would not have had any reason to threaten this non military target during German occupation, and the Allies never attacked Paris either. Only bombing by Germany occurred after Paris was liberated and there was not widespread damage anyway.

I guess some news people don't understand that Paris during WW2 had it easy compared to London, Stalingrad, or Berlin.

4 hours ago, kipper said:

Listening to the news reports and some reporters say the dumbest things. One reporter on CNN said (paraphrasing here), "the cathedral has survived two world wars, the French revolution and the Crusades...".

How uninformed are some of these news people? How would the crusades have been a threat to this cathedral? Do they not know that the crusades were a defensive war against attacks from outside of Europe?  And in terms of WW2 France surrendered, declared Paris an 'open city' so the Germans would not have had any reason to threaten this non military target during German occupation, and the Allies never attacked Paris either. Only bombing by Germany occurred after Paris was liberated and there was not widespread damage anyway.

I guess some news people don't understand that Paris during WW2 had it easy compared to London, Stalingrad, or Berlin.

Well, to be fair, there was the Fourth Crusade so anything was possible.

2 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Well, to be fair, there was the Fourth Crusade so anything was possible.

Well, to be fair the Byzantines had been collaborating with Saladan and pissing off Rome.

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Am I the only one with a video concept in mind that features a montage of the destruction set to The Doors Light My Fire? Someone will probably do it. 

Talking Heads comes to mind too...