Groove cover VS People cover

LOL. 😂 Why is that "strange" or  a "legal issue"?  Grooves licensed a different photo from this session a few years after People magazine.  Why would they pick the exact same one that was on People?  Other photos from this session have been used elsewhere through the years, not exclusive to People.

2 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Why is that "strange" or  a "legal issue"

I assumed publications held their own photoshoots for their cover which gave them exclusive rights to the images. But of course it's possible they sold the rights. It's also possible "Grooves" was owned by the same conglomerate. I seriously couldn't find any info at all on "Grooves".

2 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Why would they pick the exact same one that was on People?

Why would they pick one almost identical but only slightly different? Imitation I suppose. Any info on that photo session would be nice.

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I assumed publications held their own photoshoots for their cover which gave them exclusive rights to the images. But of course it's possible they sold the rights. It's also possible "Grooves" was owned by the same conglomerate. I seriously couldn't find any info at all on "Grooves".

Grooves was published by Grooves Publications, Inc. a company founded by Carl Ruderman who is more famously known as a publisher of adult magazines:

http://www.lukeisback.com/stars/stars/carl_ruderman.htm

Anyway, Grooves did not have staff photographers of their own so they would license images for their cover stories. If memory serves correct, the Led Zeppelin shot dates to a photo session held in New York circa October 1976 when they were in town for the premier and promotion of The Song Remains The Same. If I had the 12/20/76 People magazine within arm's reach I could confirm the photographer, if credited, but I don't. 

As Aubrey Powell has explained in the past, it was somewhat difficult to get all four guys together for a photo shoot during this era. They were reemerging from a lengthy artistic hiatus following the death of Karac Plant, and had only done two dates in Copenhagen and held Knebworth rehearsals at Bray Studios the month prior to the shoot he did with them at Knebworth. In fact, Po has admitted a couple of females (off camera) were employed to lighten the mood that day and ultimately Hipgnosis went so far as to superimpose a blue sky over the overcast reality in the famous image that was ultimately used. 

So the reason why Grooves in 1979  licensed a shot from a nearly three year session is because Led Zeppelin had done few if any group photo shoots since that time. 

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Grooves was published by Grooves Publications, Inc. a company founded by Carl Ruderman who is more famously known as a publisher of adult magazines:

http://www.lukeisback.com/stars/stars/carl_ruderman.htm

Anyway, Grooves did not have staff photographers of their own so they would license images for their cover stories. If memory serves correct, the Led Zeppelin shot dates to a photo session held in New York circa October 1976 when they were in town for the premier and promotion of The Song Remains The Same. If I had the 12/20/76 People magazine within arm's reach I could confirm the photographer, if credited, but I don't. 

As Aubrey Powell has explained in the past, it was somewhat difficult to get all four guys together for a photo shoot during this era. They were reemerging from a lengthy artistic hiatus following the death of Karac Plant, and had only done two dates in Copenhagen and held Knebworth rehearsals at Bray Studios the month prior to the shoot he did with them at Knebworth. In fact, Po has admitted a couple of females (off camera) were employed to lighten the mood that day and ultimately Hipgnosis went so far as to superimpose a blue sky over the overcast reality in the famous image that was ultimately used. 

So the reason why Grooves in 1979  licensed a shot from a nearly three year session is because Led Zeppelin had done few if any group photo shoots since that time. 

Eye thank yew.