Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We all know the "Wolf" image hidden in the fourth album's inside cover, but instead of a wolf, I noticed a striking similarity to another image- Anubis, the mythical Egyptian god.

IMG_2019-05-06_07-40-41.thumb.JPG.14ba5127124e0be265e2bf2dcfea0aae.JPG

IMG_2019-05-05_23-24-18.thumb.JPG.16eb9c28f841f420e07f2a2c44598990.JPG

Anubis would later be referred to as Osiris, god of the underworld-

IMG_2019-05-06_07-41-32.thumb.JPG.d2148a4c481d4af4f37e8fa0528086a5.JPG

All speculation of course, but I thought it was interesting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting. Personally, I think you're on to something. I don't really believe in coincidences. Wouldn't be surprising as Jimmy is most likely very interested in ancient texts and the esoteric/occult information which can be gleaned from it as well as the symbolism within such myths. But then again this also has to do with whoever created the picture. Isn't the creator of the image heavily speculated if I'm remembering correctly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:50 AM, nemophilist said:

Very interesting. Personally, I think you're on to something. I don't really believe in coincidences. Wouldn't be surprising as Jimmy is most likely very interested in ancient texts and the esoteric/occult information which can be gleaned from it as well as the symbolism within such myths. But then again this also has to do with whoever created the picture. Isn't the creator of the image heavily speculated if I'm remembering correctly?

It's quite purposeful. The name of the painting is View In Half or Varying Light. It was drawn by Barrington Colby, a friend of Jimmy's whose last known whereabouts was Switzerland.

What I find most interesting about the album graphics are how the perspective shows the lantern as the dominate source of enlightenment as opposed to the traditional church in the valley. A tip of the hat to paganism perhaps. It does seem to relate to Jimmy's comments about the front cover, how the world turned away from the old ways, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

It's quite purposeful. The name of the painting is View In Half or Varying Light. It was drawn by Barrington Colby, a friend of Jimmy's whose last known whereabouts was Switzerland.

What I find most interesting about the album graphics are how the perspective shows the lantern as the dominate source of enlightenment as opposed to the traditional church in the valley. A tip of the hat to paganism perhaps. It does seem to relate to Jimmy's comments about the front cover, how the world turned away from the old ways, etc. 

You make good points Steve as I believe the church in the distance is to represent conventional or "base" knowledge for the unenlightened. The Hermit represents the true wisdom, wisdom only attained by difficult study and trials. That was the whole point of the Hermetic Principal, unlike traditional religion, the Hermetic Path required the initiate to strive, examine, learn, and prevail several trials. One had to seek and strive for wisdom, it is not bought and it surely is not attained through blind faith and devotion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/14/2019 at 10:33 PM, SteveAJones said:

It's quite purposeful. The name of the painting is View In Half or Varying Light. It was drawn by Barrington Colby, a friend of Jimmy's whose last known whereabouts was Switzerland.

What I find most interesting about the album graphics are how the perspective shows the lantern as the dominate source of enlightenment as opposed to the traditional church in the valley. A tip of the hat to paganism perhaps. It does seem to relate to Jimmy's comments about the front cover, how the world turned away from the old ways, etc. 

This is one of the reasons why it annoys me that a ton of Zeppelin merch only shows the top half of the artwork. I've been searching, but can't find anything besides the actual album that has the full artwork. You can't just cut out half a painting's worth of symbolism like that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...

The picture is "The Hermit". It's a version of the Hermit tarot card. It represents "The Heirophant" (card V) in a state of introspection. The image is not a "Wolf". It's "Black Dog" like the song. The "ears" (with the hermits holding lanterns of the Sun and Moon) on top, is a Reversal of "The Devil" (CardXV) with the pillars on the bottom. It is the Masonic "Magic Carpet" Symbol. If you look close there is a Heart on his Heart, there is a Lotus flower where the star would be, and The All-seeing Eye of Horus (or Pineal Gland) in his Cerebrum Claustrum is represented by a Lingam (which is always coming out of a base, like on the Dogs forehead). The top of the Dogs head and the lanterns is the only area that is almost totally white. The cerebellum (Cere(wax)Bel(Bell[Torus])Lume[light or Lamb])) is the Lamb of God (or Christ), son of the Ram(Ra)[Ramah]Aries, and the Ewe(You)(Eve)(Even)Venus. This is also the center of the picture, and reversed the Black Dog becomes a White God. This is an interpretation of a very old picture. You can even see the Black and White Castles, the Star Fort, and the River Styx at the bottom, and The Fool (card 0) climbing the mountain to reach the magician (Mercury)(card I). Cheers.
spacer.png

Edited by Greg Loves Toast
Link to post
Share on other sites

Or it is just a weird coincidence that it looks a little like Godzilla (after all they did tour Japan in the fall of '71...) :banana: ha ha!

P.S.: This is a more recent take of Godzilla

P.P.S.: ...and Jimmy did the Kashmir-influenced song with Puff Daddy for the (wait for it)... the 90's version for the Godzilla movie soundtrack! :yay:

godzilla.jpg

Edited by dpat
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dpat said:

Or it is just a weird coincidence that it looks a little like Godzilla (after all they did tour Japan in the fall of '71...) :banana: ha ha!

P.S.: This is a more recent take of Godzilla

P.P.S.: ...and Jimmy did the Kashmir-influenced song with Puff Daddy for the (wait for it)... the 90's version for the Godzilla movie soundtrack! :yay:

godzilla.jpg

I am with both dpat & Occam on this one, Godzilla is the obvious answer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 5:07 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

 

IMG_2019-05-05_23-24-18.thumb.JPG.16eb9c28f841f420e07f2a2c44598990.JPG

Anubis would later be referred to as Osiris, god of the underworld-

 

 

Not quite, Anubis was a son of Osiris and half-brother to Horus. Anubis was always just Anubis, the god of the afterlife and embalming.

and one of Gweneth Paltrow's Vagina Candles exploded in some poor woman's house over the weekend. Bonus, the candle is also supposed to smell like Paltrow's cootch too! What a bargain!

Edited by BobDobbs
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...