Led Zeppelin Documentary!!

zeplz71

Led Zeppelin Documentary Heading to Cannes Market

5/8/2019 by Scott Roxborough

Billed as an "in their own words" telling, the documentary features new interviews with Zeppelin founders Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones, as well as rare archival interviews with the late John Bonham.

Turn it up to 11. A new documentary on legendary rock band Led Zeppelin is heading to the Cannes market.

Bernard MacMahon, the director of the Emmy-nominated music documentary series American Epic, is helming the as-yet-untitled doc, which will feature new interviews with band members Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones, as well as rare archival interviews with the late John Bonham.

Currently in post-production, the documentary is billed as the "definitive telling of the birth of the world’s biggest-selling rock band" and will be told solely from the band's perspective, with never-before seen archive film footage and photographs and state-of-the-art audio transfers of the band’s music.

Both Page and Plant said watching American Epic, which traces the roots of American recorded music of the Roaring Twenties, convinced them to sign on to MacMahon's film.

"When I saw everything Bernard had done both visually and sonically on the remarkable achievement that is American Epic, I knew he would be qualified to tell our story,” Jimmy Page said in a statement.

“The time was right for us to tell our own story for the first time in our own words,” added John Paul Jones. “I think that this film will really bring this story to life.”

The team behind American Epic is on board for the Led Zeppelin doc, including writer and producer Allison McGourty, editor Dan Gitlin and sound supervisor Nicholas Bergh. McGourty, MacMahon, Duke Erikson and Ged Doherty are producing the film, with Peter Saraf and Marc Turtletaub as executive producers.

CAA is handling U.S. rights to the documentary, and Altitude is selling the film internationally.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/led-zeppelin-documentary-heading-cannes-market-1208799

5 minutes ago, morningson said:

Cannot wait for this. I hope it is at least a couple of hours long and they cover everything. 

When will it be out? Anyone have a clue please?

Just had a quick search and apparently it will feature the music that inspired them, the formation of the group up until the moment when Led Zep II knocked Let It Be off the top of the album charts. So 1968 to 1970. 

2 hours ago, John M said:

"unseen archival footage"  I like the sound of that.

Dream on man. Page has stated on many, many occasions that there is nothing else to see. If there was he would have included it on the DVD. Though having said that, the only significant footage may well be Bath 1970 or the rumoured footage from Central Park in 1969

32 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Dream on man. Page has stated on many, many occasions that there is nothing else to see. If there was he would have included it on the DVD. Though having said that, the only significant footage may well be Bath 1970 or the rumoured footage from Central Park in 1969

What about the studio footage of the making of Led Zeppelin II?

31 minutes ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

More from Iceland I hope! That B&W 16MM film footage is killer quality. More please.....

What about home movies? Seems like they all were carrying Super 8MM cameras while in Japan. 

Too bad the film won't cover their time in Japan. Sounds like we get to learn a little about the boys before the Zep days until 1970. I would kill for any more live footage we've yet to see.

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Knowing Page, I'm not gonna take his word as truth. I love and respect the guy but he clearly has given us false information in the past... Or at least his stories are very inconsistent. That could be his memory, or him feeding the fire of the "mystery" surrounding the band. I get that he loves hyping all that up but damn just give us the facts already.

49 minutes ago, June72 said:

Too bad the film won't cover their time in Japan. Sounds like we get to learn a little about the boys before the Zep days until 1970. I would kill for any more live footage we've yet to see.

Knowing Page, I'm not gonna take his word as truth. I love and respect the guy but he clearly has given us false information in the past... Or at least his stories are very inconsistent. That could be his memory, or him feeding the fire of the "mystery" surrounding the band. I get that he loves hyping all that up but damn just give us the facts already.

There's nothing wrong with Page's memory. Like Spinal Tap's appeal, it's just become more selective.

I want to be excited...but I'm not. The guys have already discussed the early years of the band extensively in print, radio and media. Is there an anecdote we haven't heard already? A significant snap shot we haven't already seen? Perhaps, but I'm not holding my breath. As with most "Zeppelin 50" commemorations and product, this one seems geared toward the Millennial crowd -- and younger.  

Edited by SteveAJones

2 minutes ago, anniemouse said:

Is it possible that it could be split into time periods like the Beatles Anthology was and if the first one is well received more will follow.

Exactly what I was about to post.

It could be if as you say, this one is well received. I'd suggest up to the '77 tour and probably no beyond for obvious reasons.....

4 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Is it possible that it could be split into time periods like the Beatles Anthology was and if the first one is well received more will follow.

Possible? Of course. Likely? Absolutely not. How are you going to motivate them to openly and honestly discuss '75 - '80? There are far too many ugly and tragic events to cover in that era. As it is, they can focus on "only good things" and close it out on a high note -- supplanting The Beatles as the #1 rock group in the world. 

48 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Possible? Of course. Likely? Absolutely not. How are you going to motivate them to openly and honestly discuss '75 - '80? There are far too many ugly and tragic events to cover in that era. As it is, they can focus on "only good things" and close it out on a high note -- supplanting The Beatles as the #1 rock group in the world. 

I guess that depends on what one considers honest. A soup to nuts account of things, hell no, but they could talk about Page's broken finger, Plant's shot voice from the flu and yet still playing some damn fine shows, ya know, a real the show must go on type vibe. They could then go into 77' with the record breaking Pontiac show and LA run triumphs with the band leaving the gig and fade out. Or at least take it to 73' and either the Tampa or Kezar shows to end the flicker.