Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
zeplz71

Led Zeppelin Documentary!!

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, chillumpuffer said:

.... not before he remasters the remasters 

Now that you mention it, it has been a few months since TSRTS was remastered...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, Mook said:

Most of us are desperate to see more footage.

Music & visuals can say a lot more than mere words can.

I'm hoping the Bath footage is included in this, the timing sounds spot on.

Well to be honest, so am I! Especially if it's studio footage, but live performaces were ofcourse so varied and visually spectacular I would certainly like to see more of that too in pro quality, I just think there just isn't much available and I don't think they will use low quality footage for a top documentary like this.

Still they might surprise us with a few good clips, perhaps studio clips and photos, some of it from pre Zep era.

I just honestly don't think that if anything would be left, that it wouldn't be released already considering how high regarded the band is now and I think the problem is that in the 70's bands didn't record them that much or atleast not Led Zeppelin, it came along latter in the 80's and 90's. I think the O2 is very important in terms of having a really good show recorded in a good way although the editing is weird, constant shifting of cameras. Maybe we will get more of that, doesn't exactly fit the 68-70 era though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is neat.   I would be happy with some various snippets of 8mm/16mm films even if incomplete.    We have to hope the band had their friends/roadies/Peter Grant shoot little bits here and there in the first couple years.     

When MTV has the special on Zeppelin ages ago and showed the clips of Seattle 1977, they also showed the close-up home movie footage of the 8/21/71- LA Forum concert which was really exciting to see back then.  A documentary is the perfect place to throw in various incomplete snippets here and there in less that perfect quality to make it unique and feature material not found anywhere else.   And if we happen to see larger chunks of footage of much rumored stuff like Central Park ‘69 or the Bath ‘70 footage then this will be well worth it.

I see Jimmy is making good on his word by giving us “surprises” for the 50th Anniversary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WHAT IF

..this documentary is being done as a bit of an advertisement to get people ready for a new live album? We've speculated that the next one might possibly be from 1969, and this would fit the mold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think this documentary will be amazing. I've seen the director's other work with "American Epic" and it's an astonishing piece of filmmaking. I think this one on Led Zeppelin should be just as good, if not better. Will be interesting to see what footage is included as I'm guessing some unreleased material. As it goes through some of 1970, we may get the Bath 1970 footage. As a doc, it will probably just be a few minutes of, which makes sense. As long as it's comprehensive and done well through this period, I'll be happy. The idea of being entered at the Cannes Film Festival could be a big deal. If it's that good than perhaps a nomination for an Oscar next year? I'm getting ahead, but possible! Imagine that and the band showing up for the awards?  I would guess Page will have some sort of production credit in this film as it's his band and gave the go ahead to do this among other things and the criteria for the film.

Looking forward to the details of the film and and how it came to be and why the director chose to do a Led Zeppelin documentary and what he wanted the film to be originally. As the film goes through 1970 (at least at some point) is this what Page wanted or what the director wanted? Interesting info for sure. I'm sure Jimmy will answer this eventually with the official release when it happens. I had originally thought when I heard about this doc that it would be comprehensive, but just focuses on the early years when they hit it big, when the doc ends. It leaves this open for more. We shall see and hope we are happy with it.

I'd say yes!!!!.......meaning we will love it or hate it!

Edited by SuperDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

WHAT IF

..this documentary is being done as a bit of an advertisement to get people ready for a new live album? We've speculated that the next one might possibly be from 1969, and this would fit the mold. 

Don't think so. Not a cheap doc. From a director who did "American Epic" which is an amazing film if you get the chance to see it. Not some crap doc. The director won awards for that film and was featured on PBS. So well done. It's also on Amazon Prime for free. You can watch the four eps on PBS as well and well worth it!  A good reason why the LZ doc will be that good!

 

Edited by SuperDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

WHAT IF

..this documentary is being done as a bit of an advertisement to get people ready for a new live album? We've speculated that the next one might possibly be from 1969, and this would fit the mold. 

That sounds great, it really does. But knowing Jimmy... it's just better to not get our hopes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've recently rediscovered these tremendous musicians offerings and am looking forward to this documentary.  However, it would have been much more interesting had they decided to tell the whole story, the good, the bad and the ugly.  I'm sure it's painful to relive the hard times some of them had but if you're going to tell the story, then tell the whole story.

For some reason this group of musicians has some sort of magical spell on people, here we are in 2019 still talking about them, listening to their music from 40 years ago and wondering about them.  Fans want to know, fans want to finally understand what was happening between 1975 and 1980, instead of guessing what was happening based on rumors and innuendo.  Just sayin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Mis Nomer said:

However, it would have been much more interesting had they decided to tell the whole story, the good, the bad and the ugly. 

That won't happen until long after the remaining three are gone and their grandkids sell the rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Gibsonfan1959,  wondering if you can help me out.  I joined this forum recently and don't know how to reply to a particular post, as you did with mine.  Can you let me know what steps I should take?  thanks kindly

And in reply to your post, do you think that any of the kids know what was really happening during those years?  I highly doubt they discussed the darker moments with their kids.  The kids may remember states of being of their parent but that's about it, no?

Actually, did you ever hear any of them, members of Zep, talk about the specifics of the 75-80 years.  Could be I missed articles or interviews but it seems they were/are all pretty tight lipped about what was going on.  Your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mis Nomer said:

Hello Gibsonfan1959,  wondering if you can help me out.  I joined this forum recently and don't know how to reply to a particular post, as you did with mine.  Can you let me know what steps I should take?  thanks kindly

And in reply to your post, do you think that any of the kids know what was really happening during those years?  I highly doubt they discussed the darker moments with their kids.  The kids may remember states of being of their parent but that's about it, no?

Actually, did you ever hear any of them, members of Zep, talk about the specifics of the 75-80 years.  Could be I missed articles or interviews but it seems they were/are all pretty tight lipped about what was going on.  Your thoughts?

Highlight the text and click on "quote selection" to quick quote. Works on mobile too.

Regardless of whether their kids know about the details, a documentary won't be made outlining those details as long as the three surviving members are alive. The closest I've heard any of them come to delving into that subject was Plant with his interview with Dan Rather, and he was treading lightly there. So my point was that the only way a documentary that highlights the negatives of the band could be made is if their heirs sell the rights.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Highlight the text and click on "quote selection" to quick quote. Works on mobile too.

Regardless of whether their kids know about the details, a documentary won't be made outlining those details as long as the three surviving members are alive. The closest I've heard any of them come to delving into that subject was Plant with his interview with Dan Rather, and he was treading lightly there. So my point was that the only way a documentary that highlights the negatives of the band could be made is if their heirs sell the rights.

 

Viola, thanks for your kind help!

I'm surprised that roadies, doctors or other hangers on have not come forth to serve up the juicy details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mis Nomer said:

Viola, thanks for your kind help!

I'm surprised that roadies, doctors or other hangers on have not come forth to serve up the juicy details.

They have and it's generally rubbish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mis Nomer said:

Viola, thanks for your kind help!

I'm surprised that roadies, doctors or other hangers on have not come forth to serve up the juicy details.

Some have. Whenever there's a book or previous documentary Benji leFevre is there. He's a funny interviewee and can actually remember stuff, so I suspect whoever's writing / filming tend to seek him out for that reason. Despite him being pretty open about rock and roll behaviour I gather him and Plant are still on friendly terms. And Henry "the Horse" Smith, Dave Northover & Dennis Sheehan are extensively quoted in Barney Hoskyns' Zep book.

For the others who haven't, it may be as simple as loyalty even after all these years. Or they can't remember anything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 76229 said:

Some have. Whenever there's a book or previous documentary Benji leFevre is there. He's a funny interviewee and can actually remember stuff, so I suspect whoever's writing / filming tend to seek him out for that reason. Despite him being pretty open about rock and roll behaviour I gather him and Plant are still on friendly terms. And Henry "the Horse" Smith, Dave Northover & Dennis Sheehan are extensively quoted in Barney Hoskyns' Zep book.

For the others who haven't, it may be as simple as loyalty even after all these years. Or they can't remember anything!

..................or dead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Can't remember anything would no doubt count for a LOT. That party would have been fantastic in the moment - but no chance of clear memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very much looking forward to this. Very skeptical if they'll be any footage we haven't seen before, but hope I'm surprised!   If profitable , this could open the door to several other docs. 70-75 in their own words would be fascinating and visually stunning on the large screen,  even if they only used  restored footage we've seen on boots forever. 

79-80 , as stated in prior comments would be a long shot to be done in their own words. I would think that would have to be spun into another direction.  ..and getting them to sign off on using footage of that time period may be a long process. 

Either way, this is beyond cool !  @gibsonfan159 I like that thought of live audio or maybe even a series of live shows being released from that time period to coincide with the film's release.

... but we are in "Led Zeppelin time" here,  so we may not see this for another 5 years....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2019 at 11:58 PM, SuperDave said:

I think this documentary will be amazing. I've seen the director's other work with "American Epic" and it's an astonishing piece of filmmaking. I think this one on Led Zeppelin should be just as good, if not better. Will be interesting to see what footage is included as I'm guessing some unreleased material. As it goes through some of 1970, we may get the Bath 1970 footage. As a doc, it will probably just be a few minutes of, which makes sense. As long as it's comprehensive and done well through this period, I'll be happy. The idea of being entered at the Cannes Film Festival could be a big deal. If it's that good than perhaps a nomination for an Oscar next year? I'm getting ahead, but possible! Imagine that and the band showing up for the awards?  I would guess Page will have some sort of production credit in this film as it's his band and gave the go ahead to do this among other things and the criteria for the film.

Looking forward to the details of the film and and how it came to be and why the director chose to do a Led Zeppelin documentary and what he wanted the film to be originally. As the film goes through 1970 (at least at some point) is this what Page wanted or what the director wanted? Interesting info for sure. I'm sure Jimmy will answer this eventually with the official release when it happens. I had originally thought when I heard about this doc that it would be comprehensive, but just focuses on the early years when they hit it big, when the doc ends. It leaves this open for more. We shall see and hope we are happy with it.

I'd say yes!!!!.......meaning we will love it or hate it!

 

Nothing but conjecture on my part, of course, but you have to wonder if Jack White had any influence on the creation of this project. He was the driving force behind American Epic and obviously a well-known Zeppelin fan.  As you mentioned, American Epic was phenomenal itself and meticulously laid out the roots of the music that so strongly influenced Page and Plant.  Just seeing American Epic might have been enough to get Plant on board with them giving Zeppelin the same treatment.  It all sounds so intriguing.  If only this doc was given the 4-part mini-series format of American Epic...

Edited by LordStanley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, LordStanley said:

 

Nothing but conjecture on my part, of course, but you have to wonder if Jack White had any influence on the creation of this project. He was the driving force behind American Epic and obviously a well-known Zeppelin fan.  As you mentioned, American Epic was phenomenal itself and meticulously laid out the roots of the music that so strongly influenced Page and Plant.  Just seeing American Epic might have been enough to get Plant on board with them giving Zeppelin the same treatment.  It all sounds so intriguing.  If only this doc was given the 4-part mini-series format of American Epic...

Definitely intriguing as you said. Will be interesting to see how this doc pans out and what it consists of (info, stories, historical events, concert video etc.) in the next few weeks and months. I hope there will be more parts to it and perhaps the band will agree to it, if they're happy with the doc. They seem very enthusiastic about it. Either way, I'm looking forward to it and should be a good documentary on Zep as about time and they found someone they respect their work on prior projects and is suited for this. We shall see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope this Documentary is better than the 50TH Anniversary Coffee table book LZXLZ... cuz that wadn't very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 1:56 AM, rm2551 said:

I can see up to/including 75 - no probs. Earl's Court gigs, the tours from '72 to '75, the tax situation, release of PG etc. Maybe even the car crash?? Up to '76 with the release of TSRTS as the closer maybe?

There is the obvious debate around how much omission constitutes a lack of honesty, but they could well delve into '77 like PeaceFrogYum says. Plenty of positive spin for the lads to offer. But I agree '77 onward is highly unlikely.

Get onboard Steve, this doco is a good thing.

Maybe unlikely however id enjoy anything new would love info even from the last few yrs. .......the band was always so magical right up till the end ,"in through the outdoor"  IS an amazing album ,sO tired of hearing my brothers on this site dogging our band re' ANYTHING after 77'.   Come on who else could put out something like "in the evening"!  or even "fool in the rain" it's not all bad guys! They were still a biggest band in the world even in 1980!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 2:05 PM, Mis Nomer said:

I've recently rediscovered these tremendous musicians offerings and am looking forward to this documentary.  However, it would have been much more interesting had they decided to tell the whole story, the good, the bad and the ugly.  I'm sure it's painful to relive the hard times some of them had but if you're going to tell the story, then tell the whole story.

For some reason this group of musicians has some sort of magical spell on people, here we are in 2019 still talking about them, listening to their music from 40 years ago and wondering about them.  Fans want to know, fans want to finally understand what was happening between 1975 and 1980, instead of guessing what was happening based on rumors and innuendo.  Just sayin'

Yup, there was a lot of great magic going on still then to tell about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, z1inspector said:

Maybe unlikely however id enjoy anything new would love info even from the last few yrs. .......the band was always so magical right up till the end ,"in through the outdoor"  IS an amazing album ,sO tired of hearing my brothers on this site dogging our band re' ANYTHING after 77'.   Come on who else could put out something like "in the evening"!  or even "fool in the rain" it's not all bad guys! They were still a biggest band in the world even in 1980!

yes! They were magical from day 1 to the last. Knebworth wasn't bad - but could have been better when you consider the Copenhagen warm ups. But I'll take it! There is no doubting the 1980 tour was inconsistent - and even weak at times. BUT - it also did produce some unrivalled numbers. There are one or two SIBLY that were incredibly beautiful, Trampled Underfoot at times went further than ever before with Jimmy finding a new sound and going so far with it as to match anything else he has ever done live IMO - and Jonesy was right out there with him. At times they seemed to feed off each other and really found something amazing. There were other numbers that were brilliant at times - but massively inconsistent for sure. Studio wise, they never lost it. Always changing. One album to the next, and always no filler - just brilliance. Whatever idea they developed and put their mind to turned into gold. Maybe not in everyone's top 3 albums - but nothing short of GOLD.

Still - no way there will be a doco on that period with any input from the guys. NO CHANCE. And that's understandable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When will this be televised ? Please contact me with any information. Man, I can't wait to see this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...