Led Zeppelin Documentary!!

zeplz71

8 hours ago, Snickybomb said:

Yep, and he’s killing a cash cow by not coming out with a ‘warts and all’ autobio like Clapton did.  But, when you’re selling autographed pictures for upwards of $2k, why bother?  I doubt he needs the cash.

Jim doesn't want a warts and all, the questions it would pose, best keep those doors closed. As for the cash cow, maybe thirty years ago but not now.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't see this posted on this thread. it's two months out of date, but does seem to confirm the filming was done pre-pandemic, and editing was going on July / Aug. Originally posted on ledzepnews, so hat tip to @Cookie0024

From latimes.com August 2, 2020, via ledzepnews:

1:00 P.M. | Santa Monica
It’s a busy day at Paradise Pictures, albeit a quiet one.

Besides writer and producer Allison McGourty, there were just two others in the spacious craftsman in Santa Monica, and they were in a dark room with masks on editing a documentary about Led Zeppelin. Before the pandemic, there would have been others working behind monitors in various corners of the suite. Now, in this new normal, most tasks are done remotely, which means McGourty spends much of her days in Zoom meetings.

McGourty’s day began at 7 a.m., with a call to her post-production team in London. She should have been there with them, overseeing the color grading on the documentary that requires a deft technical and artistic touch. She also should have been able to attend the funeral of a good friend who died recently. But that is not the world she is living in.

Now McGourty was sitting at her desk, which faces a row of open windows. There was a light breeze, and she could see Santa Monica Beach just beyond the tropical plants in the front yard, where hummingbirds are known to flit around.

She called her archive producer in the U.K., and they talked about how they would get the last bit of footage they needed before the archive house in France closes for the August holiday. It’s been difficult to get all the footage they need. The pandemic shuttered European archive houses for months, and now they must rush before the houses shutter again.

Yet another video conference call awaited. The calls can seem endless, but she has noticed lately that people seem to be more respectful of time. There are fewer emails sent, less fluff.

For this — and the fact that she and her team members are healthy, and that all of their shooting was done before the pandemic hit — she is grateful.

Edited by 76229

6 hours ago, 76229 said:

Couldn't see this posted on this thread. it's two months out of date, but does seem to confirm the filming was done pre-pandemic, and editing was going on July / Aug. Originally posted on ledzepnews, so hat tip to @Cookie0024

Thanks - stumbled on that article yesterday when I was seeing if there's any update on the documentary. From what I've heard, the documentary producers have spent a lot of time hunting out archive footage. Nice to hear they're being thorough about it all.

Yes...this is very good news...news on something we know actually exists and not just a hopeful desire to be seen doing something soon statement from Pagey. I always try to apply Jonesy wisdom to things like this and remind myself of his "Zeppelin time" statement. Obviously, the Covid impact on unfinished works is profound...I wonder if these European archive houses are repositories for concert films or something less essential like venue shots of K.B. Hallen in Copenhagen as an example?

I'll only believe that this will come to fruition once I'm seeing it with my own eyes.

Sadly, I've learned to have 0 expectations from any supposed official Zeppelin related releases.

I seriously would not be surprised if it fades into the ether along with Jimmy's solo album, his desire to be seen playing live, the supposed releases for the 50th that never happened etc.

All that said, I hope to god I'm proved wrong!

On 9/30/2020 at 6:28 PM, tom kid said:

I'll only believe that this will come to fruition once I'm seeing it with my own eyes.

Sadly, I've learned to have 0 expectations from any supposed official Zeppelin related releases.

I seriously would not be surprised if it fades into the ether along with Jimmy's solo album, his desire to be seen playing live, the supposed releases for the 50th that never happened etc.

All that said, I hope to god I'm proved wrong!

I think & hope now the court case against Led Zeppelin re: STH has finally ended, that we may see some more of those 50th anniversary items and possibly some live releases down the road.

R😎🙏

On 10/6/2020 at 1:52 AM, Giveroffire said:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8099675/led-zeppelin-new-project-no-tour-jimmy-page-interview

What about this unusually specific reference by Page to the multi track that will be released? Maybe the time has come...

No tour, no shit Sherlock, like that hasn't been obvious for forty years now.

I know it's an article from 2018...that's why it was referenced. Simply a response to some of the speculation here and on the lawsuit thread regarding material that was planned but possibly held up because of litigation. This sounded a bit different because it wasn't the usual vague mumbo jumbo from Page....just saying his specificity suggesting a multi-track release that was different than HTWWW or TSRTS might be noteworthy... that's all.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, reesergreaser said:

Greetings:

Is there a Planned Release Date for the Officially Approved Led Zeppelin Documentary Film Directed Bernard McMahon?

No release date has been announced for the documentary, sadly.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have any new information on this doco.It seems be taking forever,or has it been shelved.Its bloody annoyingly frustrating.

cheers Guy

First Official Feature Length Led Zeppelin Documentary
May 9, 2019

The first official feature length Led Zeppelin documentary is now in post production, and features brand new interviews with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones, as well as rare archival interviews with the late John Bonham. This is the definitive telling of the birth of Led Zeppelin.

23 hours ago, guyglans said:
Does anyone have any new information on this doco.It seems be taking forever,or has it been shelved.Its bloody annoyingly frustrating.

cheers Guy

First Official Feature Length Led Zeppelin Documentary
May 9, 2019

The first official feature length Led Zeppelin documentary is now in post production, and features brand new interviews with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones, as well as rare archival interviews with the late John Bonham. This is the definitive telling of the birth of Led Zeppelin.

they say they are in post production or covid has taken over so they stopped the project...For Now!

• 2 weeks later...

45 minutes ago, morningson said:

It's finished, at last. Probably out in about 5 years. 

https://variety.com/2021/film/global/led-zeppelin-documentary-bernard-macmahon-1235032389/

Done, great news!!  

I've copy/pasted the full article from Variety:

Led Zeppelin Documentary, With Unprecedented Access to Band, Has Been Completed

“American Epic” director Bernard MacMahon has revealed the title of his long-awaited and recently completed Led Zeppelin feature documentary: “Becoming Led Zeppelin.”

The project, which was first announced in 2019, has unprecedented access to the band, marking the first and only time the group has participated in a documentary in 50 years. Though 1976 doc “The Song Remains the Same” centred on the band, that was largely a concert film of a series of Madison Square Garden performances in 1973.

“’Becoming Led Zeppelin’ is a film that no one thought could be made,” said MacMahon. “The band’s meteoric rise to stardom was swift and virtually undocumented. Through an intense search across the globe and years of restoration of the visual and audio archive found, this story is finally able to be told.”

A release date hasn’t yet been set for the pic. Altitude Film Sales and Submarine Entertainment will be co-repping sales.

The film includes new interviews with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones, as well as rare archival interviews with the late John Bonham, who died in 1980. The film features never-before-seen archive film and photographs, state-of-the-art audio transfers of the band’s music and the music of other artists who shaped their sound.

When the project was first announced, Page said: “When I saw everything Bernard had done both visually and sonically on the remarkable achievement that is ‘American Epic,’ I knew he would be qualified to tell our story.”

First formed in London in 1968, the English rock band is best known for hits including “Stairway to Heaven,” “Good Times Bad Times” and “The Immigrant Song,” and are considered one of the most influential rock bands in history.

Edited by zeplz71

The new Led Zeppelin documentary has been completed

Director Bernard MacMahon has also confirmed the title of the film, which features "unprecedented access" to the band

The forthcoming new and authorised Led Zeppelin documentary Becoming Led Zeppelin has finally been completed.

Directed by Bernard MacMahon, the film was first announced back in May 2019 to mark the band’s 50th anniversary in 2018.

MacMahon has today (August 2) confirmed the film’s title, Becoming Led Zeppelin, and announced that work on the documentary has been completed.

“Becoming Led Zeppelin is a film that no one thought could be made,” MacMahon said in a statement. “The band’s meteoric rise to stardom was swift and virtually undocumented.

“Through an intense search across the globe and years of restoration of the visual and audio archive found, this story is finally able to be told.”

Becoming Led Zeppelin is the first time that Led Zeppelin have participated in a documentary in 50 years, with the band granting MacMahon “unprecedented access” for the film.

New interviews with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones will feature, while rare archival interviews with the late John Bonham, who died in 1980, are also set to be included.

A release date for the film has yet to be confirmed.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-new-led-zeppelin-documentary-has-been-completed-3008684

Edited by zeplz71

2 hours ago, John M said:

What do I make of the fact that this is reported in Variety and NME before it is reported on the official band website as "News"?  Maybe it is not news because there is no release date yet?

Looks like the band's PR agency sent out a press release which Variety and NME have written up - but whoever runs the Led Zeppelin website wasn't kept in the loop/didn't think this qualified as "news" enough for a rare official update on the site.