Baby Zeppelins?-Greta Van Fleet

Reags

Hi 

new to the forum.zeppelin fan forever

just started listening to Greta Van Fleet 

my kids turned me on to them 

I know they sound like a zep knock off and they have sprinkled a whole lot of zep riffs and sounds into this album but I think they are as close as we are going to get to a new zep album incarnated at this point in time 

I really think they are On to something the more I listen to their album

it’s a breath of fresh air instead of all the canned music out there now.

whats your opinion on this new band?

I’m not a big fan yet.  Forget the LZ comparisons or borrowings, their songwriting leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. There are other contemporary rock bands that produce better songs. In my opinion, if you’re going to borrow the sounds of 70s classic rock, your songwriting better be up to snuff because those were amazing songs, and you’ll suffer in comparison. I hope they move on and find their own sound. My two cents.

They're a pretty good band and honestly, us classic rock fans should be grateful someone is at least attempting the genre and keeping the flame alive. I think their production is a little underwhelming but the spirit is there. Whether or not they evolve and mature and stop trying too hard will be the key to their success.  

5 hours ago, Reags said:

Hi 

I know they sound like a zep knock off and they have sprinkled a whole lot of zep riffs and sounds into this album but I think they are as close as we are going to get to a new zep album incarnated at this point in time 

First of all, are you blind? There is already a Greta Van Fleet thread going on and it's not like it is buried on page 12 or 99...it is right below. It is not hard to see if you make a little effort.

Second, I am curious what is "all the canned music" you are talking about? There is plenty of great fresh music out there if you dig below the mainstream pop sources. You have to broaden your horizons unless you just want to stay in the classic rock radio ghetto and hear the same four or five songs over and over again.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

First of all, are you blind? There is already a Greta Van Fleet thread going on and it's not like it is buried on page 12 or 99...it is right below. It is not hard to see if you make a little effort.

Second, I am curious what is "all the canned music" you are talking about? There is plenty of great fresh music out there if you dig below the mainstream pop sources. You have to broaden your horizons unless you just want to stay in the classic rock radio ghetto and hear the same four or five songs over and over again.

This is a new member's first post. Chill already.

I think they're talented players but their entire persona comes off as totally manufactured. Likewise their songwriting really isn't good (in my opinion of course) and their latest album was really over-produced (like almost every album these days by any band or artist). There are a number of more underground acts that capture the spirit of the 70's better and expand on it a bit. I think the first two albums by The Sword are a good example just off the top of my head, although they do have some thrash influence.

I still think the closest a mainstream act has come in the last 15 years is the first Wolfmother album. I think in regards to songwriting that album is far more superior to anything I've heard by Fleet.

I really have tried to like them, I've listened to them numerous times and they just come off as very fake. They're like the Jones Brothers if they tried to go 70''s rock. I do hope they improve though.

I also really don't think they sound like Zeppelin aside from the vocalists voice (at times, at other times he kind of sounds like Ms.Piggy doing an impression of Geddy Lee).But there is no doubt he can do an uncanny plant impersonation. In my opinion it would be like saying AC/DC sounds like Led Zeppelin, obviously there are some very vague similarities instrumentally but when you really listen to their albums they are vastly different. It actually annoys me a bit when I see people calling them Zep rip offs because they really aren't anything like Led Zeppelin musically aside from a little bit of influence on a solo or a drum fill. I think Greta has a lot of industry hype and very little songwriting substance.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:02 AM, Reags said:

Hi 

Welcome to the forum man. Have you ever listened to the entirety of the first Wolfmother album released in like 2006? I think they did a great job of capturing the spirit of the 70's on that album. I think there's some good songwriting. People also called them Zeppelin and Black Sabbath rip offs when they came out. There was obviously some influence but I think they were very much their own thing.