Chronological Live Album

ZepHead315

For many years, Jimmy Page has discussed the possibility of released a chronological live album of Led Zeppelin. Seeing as how that has not happened (yet), I thought it would be fun to try to imagine what such an album would be like. I put this together by aiming for shows with good sound that contained excellent performances of each respective song. I tried to put everything in chronological order, with each song being from a show that was around the period of its official release on a studio album.

There are three notable exceptions to this: for Train Kept a Rollin’ and I Can’t Quit You Baby, I couldn’t help choosing the versions from the Texas International Pop Festival on August 31st, 1969. The announcement of “Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome…the Led Zeppelin!” was just too perfect not to use. After this, I went back to some earlier shows for other songs. The second exception is for Heartbreaker, for which I chose the version from Blueberry Hill, since it flows so well from Immigrant Song. The third exception is for the last track, You’ll Never Walk Alone from Knebworth. I found it worked well as a sort of “farewell”.

I’m sure there will be controversy over the versions I picked, as well as which songs I chose to leave out. I aimed to try to make this compilation be of a similar length as one of Zeppelin’s live shows. It ended up being just shy of four hours, so I was forced to leave certain songs out in order to prevent it from becoming even longer.

No editing or EQing was done to any of the sources, save for fading each track in and out where appropriate.

Track Listing:
1.    Train Kept a Rollin’ – Lewisville, TX 8/31/69
2.    I Can’t Quit You Baby – Lewisville, TX 8/31/69
3.    Communication Breakdown – San Francisco, CA 4/27/69
4.    As Long As I Have You – San Francisco, CA 4/27/69
5.    Dazed and Confused – Toronto, Canada 8/18/69 (evening)
6.    Moby Dick – Montreux, Switzerland 3/7/70
7.    Whole Lotta Love – Montreux, Switzerland 3/7/70
8.    Immigrant Song – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
9.    Heartbreaker – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
10.    Thank You – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
11.    Since I’ve Been Loving You – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
12.    That’s The Way – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
13.    Four Sticks – Copenhagen, Denmark 5/3/71
14.    Black Dog – Tokyo, Japan 9/23/71
15.    Stairway to Heaven – Tokyo, Japan 9/23/71
16.    Going to California – Osaka, Japan 9/29/71
17.    Rock and Roll – Osaka, Japan 9/29/71
18.    Over the Hills and Far Away – Los Angeles, CA 6/25/72
19.    No Quarter – Mobile, AL 5/13/73
20.    The Ocean – San Francisco, CA 6/2/73
21.    The Song Remains The Same – Seattle, WA 7/17/73
22.    The Rain Song – Seattle, WA 7/17/73
23.    In My Time of Dying – Baton Rouge, LA 2/28/75
24.    Kashmir – Baton Rouge, LA 2/28/75
25.    Trampled Underfoot – London, UK 5/24/75
26.    Ten Years Gone – Los Angeles, CA 6/23/77
27.    Achilles Last Stand – Los Angeles, CA 6/23/77
28.    In the Evening – Copenhagen, Denmark 7/24/79
29.    Money (That’s What I Want) – Frankfurt, Germany 6/30/80
30.    You’ll Never Walk Alone – Stevenage, UK 8/4/79

Versions of each show used:
4/27/69 – Nite Owl Stereo Matrix
8/18/69 (evening) - 2nd Show - source 1 (main: 1st gen Reels > DAT > CDR) + 2 (patches: Master Reels > CDR) (Eddie Edwards)
8/31/69 - 1/4" Track Master Reels>7.5ips Reel To Reel (Saf. Copies)>DAT>Tascam CDRW-700s>COAX>CDr(3) (Dadgad)
3/7/70 - Montreux aud Divinity Revision + SBD (Pernod)
9/4/70 – Live on Blueberry Hill (Graf Zeppelin)
5/3/71 - Master>DAT>cdr>cdr(x)>eac(secure mode/read offsets corrected)>wav>flac(level 7)
9/23/71 - Flying Rock Carnival 1971 Complete (2011 Remaster)
9/29/71 - Kutabare Moonchild (Winston Remaster)
6/25/72 - Master > DAT
5/13/73 - 2019 Dadgad Remaster
6/2/73 - Master Tape>DAT>CDR>SHN>MWK>WAV>FLAC>WAV>REMASTERED WAV>FLAC
7/17/73 - Masters>Nakamichi 670>Wavelab 96/24>flac (JEMS)
2/28/75 – Grame Remaster
5/24/75 – My personal remaster of Watchtower’s “To Be a Rock and Not to Roll”
6/23/77 – For Badgeholders Only (Scorpio)
7/24/79 – Pseudonym Remaster
8/4/79 – 30th Anniversary Edition (Weedwacker)
6/30/80 – Liriodendron Remaster

Special thanks to Malygris, Eddie Edwards, Dadgad, Pernod, Winston, Grame, Sue Dounim, Weedwacker, Liriodendron and everyone else for providing and remastering all of these sources!

Hope you all enjoy!

PM me for a download link. :) 

16 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

Where's How Many More Times? 

35 minutes ago, Walter said:

Absolutely!  Put it in place of MD - same show...easy fix! ;) :lol: 

HMMT was one of the songs which I wanted to include, but the compilation was already pushing four hours and I didn't want it to become too long. The shortest version of HMMT that is stand alone is 10 minutes as it is. This is also why I picked a version of Whole Lotta Love that was similar to the studio version as opposed to the lengthy medleys from later on.

As for Moby Dick, I kind of consider it a tribute to Bonzo, so I felt it was a necessity, even though I can understand others wanting to skip it. Oh well, I knew that this wouldn't please everyone completely! :D 

5 hours ago, strombringer101 said:

I will wait for an official recording. Sorry Bootlegs just don’t capture Led Zeppelin live. 

To each their own of course but if sound quality is your worry (as I've seen you criticize the fidelity of bootlegs before), you can rest assured that I tried to find versions with a good combination of sound quality and performance. I think just about every song on here requires no "bootleg ears" at all.

56 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

HMMT was one of the songs which I wanted to include, but the compilation was already pushing four hours and I didn't want it to become too long. The shortest version of HMMT that is stand alone is 10 minutes as it is. This is also why I picked a version of Whole Lotta Love that was similar to the studio version as opposed to the lengthy medleys from later on.

As for Moby Dick, I kind of consider it a tribute to Bonzo, so I felt it was a necessity, even though I can understand others wanting to skip it. Oh well, I knew that this wouldn't please everyone completely! :D 

To each their own of course but if sound quality is your worry (as I've seen you criticize the fidelity of bootlegs before), you can rest assured that I tried to find versions with a good combination of sound quality and performance. I think just about every song on here requires no "bootleg ears" at all.

I’m just bustin balls. You did a tremendous job! I’m listening as I type - great choices. 

3 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Yeah, what's your problem bud? You put together a live, 4 hour chronological album and you could not even studio manipulate it into official release quality? Pfffft... :hysterical:

Good job buddy, I honestly believe you did a stellar job. Thank you

Ps. No Gallows Pole? I love that electric live version. Oh, almost forgot, no Hot Dog:slapface:B)

21 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Umm yeah have fun dude. If you really think this sounds good that’s fine. I find this form funny how you bootleg collectors get hissy if someone tells you that these bootleg sound like shit. WTF is (bootleg ears)?? Maybe that is a bootlegger thing...I believe 99% of Zeppelin fans would laugh at you if you played this....sounds like shit man, don’t take it personally. 

On 5/20/2019 at 3:05 PM, ZepHead315 said:

For many years, Jimmy Page has discussed the possibility of released a chronological live album of Led Zeppelin. Seeing as how that has not happened (yet), I thought it would be fun to try to imagine what such an album would be like. I put this together by aiming for shows with good sound that contained excellent performances of each respective song. I tried to put everything in chronological order, with each song being from a show that was around the period of its official release on a studio album.

There are three notable exceptions to this: for Train Kept a Rollin’ and I Can’t Quit You Baby, I couldn’t help choosing the versions from the Texas International Pop Festival on August 31st, 1969. The announcement of “Ladies and Gentlemen please welcome…the Led Zeppelin!” was just too perfect not to use. After this, I went back to some earlier shows for other songs. The second exception is for Heartbreaker, for which I chose the version from Blueberry Hill, since it flows so well from Immigrant Song. The third exception is for the last track, You’ll Never Walk Alone from Knebworth. I found it worked well as a sort of “farewell”.

I’m sure there will be controversy over the versions I picked, as well as which songs I chose to leave out. I aimed to try to make this compilation be of a similar length as one of Zeppelin’s live shows. It ended up being just shy of four hours, so I was forced to leave certain songs out in order to prevent it from becoming even longer.

No editing or EQing was done to any of the sources, save for fading each track in and out where appropriate.

Track Listing:
1.    Train Kept a Rollin’ – Lewisville, TX 8/31/69
2.    I Can’t Quit You Baby – Lewisville, TX 8/31/69
3.    Communication Breakdown – San Francisco, CA 4/27/69
4.    As Long As I Have You – San Francisco, CA 4/27/69
5.    Dazed and Confused – Toronto, Canada 8/18/69 (evening)
6.    Moby Dick – Montreux, Switzerland 3/7/70
7.    Whole Lotta Love – Montreux, Switzerland 3/7/70
8.    Immigrant Song – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
9.    Heartbreaker – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
10.    Thank You – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
11.    Since I’ve Been Loving You – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
12.    That’s The Way – Los Angeles, CA 9/4/70
13.    Four Sticks – Copenhagen, Denmark 5/3/71
14.    Black Dog – Tokyo, Japan 9/23/71
15.    Stairway to Heaven – Tokyo, Japan 9/23/71
16.    Going to California – Osaka, Japan 9/29/71
17.    Rock and Roll – Osaka, Japan 9/29/71
18.    Over the Hills and Far Away – Los Angeles, CA 6/25/72
19.    No Quarter – Mobile, AL 5/13/73
20.    The Ocean – San Francisco, CA 6/2/73
21.    The Song Remains The Same – Seattle, WA 7/17/73
22.    The Rain Song – Seattle, WA 7/17/73
23.    In My Time of Dying – Baton Rouge, LA 2/28/75
24.    Kashmir – Baton Rouge, LA 2/28/75
25.    Trampled Underfoot – London, UK 5/24/75
26.    Ten Years Gone – Los Angeles, CA 6/23/77
27.    Achilles Last Stand – Los Angeles, CA 6/23/77
28.    In the Evening – Copenhagen, Denmark 7/24/79
29.    Money (That’s What I Want) – Frankfurt, Germany 6/30/80
30.    You’ll Never Walk Alone – Stevenage, UK 8/4/79

Versions of each show used:
4/27/69 – Nite Owl Stereo Matrix
8/18/69 (evening) - 2nd Show - source 1 (main: 1st gen Reels > DAT > CDR) + 2 (patches: Master Reels > CDR) (Eddie Edwards)
8/31/69 - 1/4" Track Master Reels>7.5ips Reel To Reel (Saf. Copies)>DAT>Tascam CDRW-700s>COAX>CDr(3) (Dadgad)
3/7/70 - Montreux aud Divinity Revision + SBD (Pernod)
9/4/70 – Live on Blueberry Hill (Graf Zeppelin)
5/3/71 - Master>DAT>cdr>cdr(x)>eac(secure mode/read offsets corrected)>wav>flac(level 7)
9/23/71 - Flying Rock Carnival 1971 Complete (2011 Remaster)
9/29/71 - Kutabare Moonchild (Winston Remaster)
6/25/72 - Master > DAT
5/13/73 - 2019 Dadgad Remaster
6/2/73 - Master Tape>DAT>CDR>SHN>MWK>WAV>FLAC>WAV>REMASTERED WAV>FLAC
7/17/73 - Masters>Nakamichi 670>Wavelab 96/24>flac (JEMS)
2/28/75 – Grame Remaster
5/24/75 – My personal remaster of Watchtower’s “To Be a Rock and Not to Roll”
6/23/77 – For Badgeholders Only (Scorpio)
7/24/79 – Pseudonym Remaster
8/4/79 – 30th Anniversary Edition (Weedwacker)
6/30/80 – Liriodendron Remaster

Special thanks to Malygris, Eddie Edwards, Dadgad, Pernod, Winston, Grame, Sue Dounim, Weedwacker, Liriodendron and everyone else for providing and remastering all of these sources!

Hope you all enjoy!

PM me for a download link. :) 

Your going to tell me Dazed and confused sounds good? Hahahahaha oh that’s right I need those bootleg ears. LoL

38 minutes ago, strombringer101 said:

Umm yeah have fun dude. If you really think this sounds good that’s fine. I find this form funny how you bootleg collectors get hissy if someone tells you that these bootleg sound like shit. WTF is (bootleg ears)?? Maybe that is a bootlegger thing...I believe 99% of Zeppelin fans would laugh at you if you played this....sounds like shit man, don’t take it personally. 

29 minutes ago, strombringer101 said:

Your going to tell me Dazed and confused sounds good? Hahahahaha oh that’s right I need those bootleg ears. LoL

The only one I'm seeing getting "hissy" here is you. You've even created an entirely separate thread to moan about how people aren't agreeing with your views. No one in this thread has attacked you or called you vile names. You have every right to express an opinion and people have every right to state that they disagree with you. Simple as that. If you go into a thread on bootlegs and then talk about how shitty you think bootlegs are, don't be surprised if you find a lot of people who feel differently. Feel free to ignore bootleg posts if you cannot handle others disagreeing with you.

This compilation was clearly not intended for you or people who don't have bootleg ears (which, by the way, are the ability to get past things like hiss, distortion, or crowd noise in order to appreciate the performance underneath). It was intended for people who can appreciate different Zeppelin performances across different eras, even if the sound quality varies a bit. Not everyone has to like it, of course, but that was the intended audience. By the way, nice of you to cherrypick the worst sounding song on this compilation and then make a blanket statement that the entire thing "sounds like shit". Did you even bother to listen to this whole thing?

While we're on the subject of your other post, I found this particular quote peculiar:

I think these forums are meant to ask questions like what was the Zepplin‘s best tour I don’t care about stupid bootlegs that recorded on that tour because sooner or later Jimmy’s going to release all that on streaming service so why would I want to pay someone and not Zeppelin? 

First off, are you aware that pretty much any Zeppelin bootleg can be downloaded for free? They're very easy to find if you know where to look. I can go and download an entire show in just a few minutes if I want to. So you don't have to be worried about paying someone else and not Zeppelin if that's your concern.

Secondly, if you're expecting threads such as "what is Zeppelin's best tour" how in the world do you expect to get any meaningful answer without bootleg recordings? What other evidence would there be? Newspaper clippings? Reviews from fans who were probably stoned out of their minds at the time? Bootleg recordings allow for an honest picture of what the tour actually sounded like. This is why the 1975 tour is consistently cited as Robert's worst tour vocally. Because the bootlegs allow us to hear how bad his voice sounded. Same thing with the 1977 and 1980 bootlegs showing how far Jimmy's playing ability had declined.

Thirdly, while the streaming service has yet to be released, I think you are being extremely optimistic if you think Jimmy is going to release tons of bootlegs on it. We still have no news on the live album that was supposed to come out last year, nor the innumerable times Jimmy has stated he will go out on tour and/or record a solo album. 

To each their own, but I don't know what you were expecting going into this thread. It's literally a compilation of bootleg recordings. Once again, if you don't like it, move on to something else.

50 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

The only one I'm seeing getting "hissy" here is you. You've even created an entirely separate thread to moan about how people aren't agreeing with your views. No one in this thread has attacked you or called you vile names. You have every right to express an opinion and people have every right to state that they disagree with you. Simple as that. If you go into a thread on bootlegs and then talk about how shitty you think bootlegs are, don't be surprised if you find a lot of people who feel differently. Feel free to ignore bootleg posts if you cannot handle others disagreeing with you.

This compilation was clearly not intended for you or people who don't have bootleg ears (which, by the way, are the ability to get past things like hiss, distortion, or crowd noise in order to appreciate the performance underneath). It was intended for people who can appreciate different Zeppelin performances across different eras, even if the sound quality varies a bit. Not everyone has to like it, of course, but that was the intended audience. By the way, nice of you to cherrypick the worst sounding song on this compilation and then make a blanket statement that the entire thing "sounds like shit". Did you even bother to listen to this whole thing?

While we're on the subject of your other post, I found this particular quote peculiar:

First off, are you aware that pretty much any Zeppelin bootleg can be downloaded for free? They're very easy to find if you know where to look. I can go and download an entire show in just a few minutes if I want to. So you don't have to be worried about paying someone else and not Zeppelin if that's your concern.

Secondly, if you're expecting threads such as "what is Zeppelin's best tour" how in the world do you expect to get any meaningful answer without bootleg recordings? What other evidence would there be? Newspaper clippings? Reviews from fans who were probably stoned out of their minds at the time? Bootleg recordings allow for an honest picture of what the tour actually sounded like. This is why the 1975 tour is consistently cited as Robert's worst tour vocally. Because the bootlegs allow us to hear how bad his voice sounded. Same thing with the 1977 and 1980 bootlegs showing how far Jimmy's playing ability had declined.

Thirdly, while the streaming service has yet to be released, I think you are being extremely optimistic if you think Jimmy is going to release tons of bootlegs on it. We still have no news on the live album that was supposed to come out last year, nor the innumerable times Jimmy has stated he will go out on tour and/or record a solo album. 

To each their own, but I don't know what you were expecting going into this thread. It's literally a compilation of bootleg recordings. Once again, if you don't like it, move on to something else.

:bravo: 

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

Hahaha he removed the other post! Preach it!!

Fantastic compilation, ZepHead. It's a great journey. Thank you for your work.  :thumbsup:

I'm no fan of the Tour over Europe but Money is great. I like the tone of Jimmys guitar very much and the piano playing is brilliant. Good choice.

22 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

And yesterday he asked the moderators to delete a whole thread because I unveiled him. He is just a troll, ignore him. He has two accounts here.

I did? What are you talking about Dude? Unveiled me? Are you the stalker? Your full of shit bro. 

On 5/23/2019 at 11:44 AM, ZepHead315 said:

was intended for people who can appreciate different Zeppelin

What  what does that mean? So it’s intended for people to appreciate a different Led Zeppelin if you mean appreciate some crappy bootleg that you can hardly hear no way keep it to yourself.  You definitely took it personally and then others here calling me a troll what is that just because I criticize a bootleg you made lol ?furthermore yeah I did listen to it soundboard recording sound dry in placid and of course I’m gonna listen to daze&confused because that was Led Zeppelin‘s masterpiece from 68 all the way to 75 and it was terrible echoey couldn’t even hear John P. Jones.

I mean come on what are you talking about that I should appreciate a different Led Zeppelin 

6 minutes ago, strombringer101 said:

What  what does that mean? So it’s intended for people to appreciate a different Led Zeppelin if you mean appreciate some crappy bootleg that you can hardly hear no way keep it to yourself.  You definitely took it personally and then others here calling me a troll what is that just because I criticize a bootleg you made lol ?furthermore yeah I did listen to it soundboard recording sound dry in placid and of course I’m gonna listen to daze&confused because that was Led Zeppelin‘s masterpiece from 68 all the way to 75 and it was terrible echoey couldn’t even hear John P. Jones.

I mean come on what are you talking about that I should appreciate a different Led Zeppelin 

I'll state this as simply as I possibly can: this compilation was for people who are fans of bootlegs and have long dreamed of Jimmy's proposed "chronological live album" which never came to fruition. Simple as that. Clearly, you don't fall into that target audience. Which is fine, this isn't for everyone. 

I know you didn't bother to listen to the whole thing, which is fine too. It is almost four hours long after all. But coming on here and saying it "sounds like shit" when you only sampled a few songs out of 30 from over a dozen shows, then creating an entirely separate thread to whine about how people weren't agreeing with you? Yeah, that's pretty dickish.

There are literally hundreds of bootlegs of Zeppelin that sound worse than that version of Dazed. Bath is an example:

Once again, if you don't like this, why are you still here? Move on to something else.

To quote Mick Jagger - Who's fighting and what for? Why are we fighting!

Bootlegs are a key component of the Zeppelin (and many other's) legacy.  I find it quite enjoyable and necessary to discuss various gigs with the people in this forum. I'd love to see a Netflix type doc on this topic. They can start with the legend about Bob Dylan's Great White Wonder and cover everything from Mike Millard to the Grateful Dead and Phish, etc. 

Could not agree more...... 

On 5/25/2019 at 1:01 AM, ZepHead315 said:

Once again, if you don't like this, why are you still here? Move on to something else.

Edited by The Only Way To Fly

On 5/24/2019 at 1:09 PM, strombringer101 said:

I did? What are you talking about Dude? Unveiled me? Are you the stalker? Your full of shit bro

Please don't ever use the term Bro here as you immediately lose any and all credibility when you do so. This has been a public service announcement, and I am a pink toothbrush. Good-night.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum