Robert Plant Announces Podcast 'Digging Deep' June 3rd

zeplz71

'Digging Deep, The Robert Plant Podcast' will launch on 3rd June, available on iTunes, Spotify, Acast, YouTube or wherever you get your podcasts:
https://lnk.to/RPDiggingDeep

Robert Plant’s music is the result of a lifetime striding around the globe, from The Midlands to Morocco, from Nashville to North Wales, and the influences and friends collected along the way can be heard in his songs. Matt Everitt joins Robert as they delve into his back catalogue to revisit a track from this remarkable history.

artwork_5ce7d5e7a18b8_.jpg

Edited by zeplz71

Funny how Matt Everitt was in a band called Menswear and now he's interviewing Percy.

"did you ever play Madison Square Garden son?"

"er no I was in Menswear"

(kidding, I know Plant would never ask something like that!)

16 hours ago, 76229 said:

Funny how Matt Everitt was in a band called Menswear and now he's interviewing Percy.

I haven't heard a Menswear reference in YEARS! I was a big Charlatans UK fan back in the day and saw them open for The CUK in the mid-1990's at a club in Chicago - The Metro or The Vic. 

Looking forward to this for sure! 

Great, maybe he will play some tunes he wrote BEFORE Raising Sand. I know he occasionally plays a tune off of Mighty ReArranger and In the Mood but Jesus Robert, you put out six very good and diverse albums before Mighty plus the excellent Dreamland album. One of my biggest disappointments is that Robert does not play hardly a tune from this era of his career.

3 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Great, maybe he will play some tunes he wrote BEFORE Raising Sand. I know he occasionally plays a tune off of Mighty ReArranger and In the Mood but Jesus Robert, you put out six very good and diverse albums before Mighty plus the excellent Dreamland album. One of my biggest disappointments is that Robert does not play hardly a tune from this era of his career.

Totally agree. Would rather hear that then the Zep tunes he keeps rehashing. 

11 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Digging Deep, The Robert Plant Podcast - Episode 1 - Calling To You

Looking forward to checking this out tomorrow while waiting for service people to show up at the house...

I don't care what anyone else thinks, I like the song Too Loud and the Shaken n' Stirred album as a whole. TBF, when the album first came out I was taken aback as I expected something very different. However it did not take long for me to warm up to it and by the time the tour hit town I was sold, really liked the album and still do.

I like Shaken n Stirred. Bonkers but full of adventure and some fantastic vocals from Robert. Sixes and Sevens is an underrated track/vocal full of light and shade. Production has dated but it showed that being brave can work long term.

11 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I don't care what anyone else thinks, I like the song Too Loud and the Shaken n' Stirred album as a whole. TBF, when the album first came out I was taken aback as I expected something very different. However it did not take long for me to warm up to it and by the time the tour hit town I was sold, really liked the album and still do.

I admire his taking a risk musically and going in a completely different direction. There are some great tracks on it that along with his other earlier albums, would be great to hear reworked again. I never understood why he doesn't delve into his 80s albums anymore. 

This was not what i was expecting, at all. I have already heard robert plant promoting his own music in interviews for awhile...and he is a master at selling his solo records in interviews. He actually presents his solo records in his poetic, carnival barker style, that they are better than zeppelin, "with the flags and the fires and the flames" and such descriptives for years now...and "happy" ofcourse like the band of joy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard him sound so relaxed talking about his past (solo work) as in the first minute of the interview when he says 'Since 1981 I've enjoyed many amazing and exciting musicians in the sharing, in the writing, in production and engineering...'  I thought he might talk more about his early solo career but instead discussed the dangers of going back and revisiting his back catalog as well as revisiting his latest effort 'Carry Fire'.

Edited by luvlz2

I found that fascinating, did you get the impression he uses the flat above the pub. He is still obsessed with history and noticed he still uses paper maps to get around (no electronic gizmo's for him) Also the tease for the next episode, wow. I am enjoying these podcasts.

I really like Bones of Saints but I would not call this digging deep.  It is more like scratching the surface in general.  When he talked about the music it was very surface, vague and generic.  When he talked about the lyrics it was pretty obvious.  He is still the master of avoiding specifics.  He works very hard at it - you can hear him thinking of what not to say.  Still great to hear him talk about a song like this.  I did notice that the interviewer completely missed the point of the title.  Plant corrected him without contradicting him.  Very smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad he's finally got around to talking about Zep tunes, but his reluctance to give any true insight or details about the song production is frustrating. He constantly beats around the bush and makes jokes but never really tells us anything we don't already know. Car crash? Check. Wheelchair? Check. Based on Morocco? Check. I did find it interesting that he mentions Maureen's morphine use after the crash. Could that have been what caused their split?